• Hollywood veteran Kurt Russell is in talks to join the seventh installment of the Fast & Furious franchise in an undisclosed part for director James Wan (The Conjuring). We kind of hope he’ll just be playing Snake Plissken. The famously private actor has been somewhat absent from movies recently. 2007′s Death Proof was his last high-profile role. Russell has a few more projects in the works including the Jay Baruchel-starring comedy The Art of the Steal, and Bone Tomahawk, a Western with Peter Sarsgaard and Jennifer Carpenter. [Variety]
Tag: Guardians of the Galaxy (1-10 of 19)
• Fresh off a memorable turn as Sally Hawkins’ sensitive mechanic boyfriend in Woody Allen’s Blue Jasmine, Bobby Cannavale is set to try out the world of big-screen musicals in Annie, in which he’ll star alongside Quvenzhané Wallis, Cameron Diaz, and Rose Byrne. He’ll play a political strategist who is helping Jamie Foxx‘s Benjamin Stacks run for mayor. Easy A director Will Gluck is taking another pass at the script before he begins shooting. The Emmy-winning actor (for Will & Grace) can also be seen in Lovelace; Jon Favreau’s Chef, alongside Scarlett Johansson and Robert Downey Jr.; and the upcoming Al Pacino movie Imagine. [Deadline]
READ FULL STORY
To me, Bumblebee will always be a Volkswagen Beetle.
That’s how it was for countless children who grew up watching and playing with Transformers in the early 1980s. Yeah, the Beetle isn’t as badass as most cars. It’s small, goofy, and cute — not very powerful. But the same was true of the kids who loved him, 6-to-10 year-olds who longed to prove, like that little battling ‘bot, that they could be brave and strong like the big ones around them.
When Michael Bay’s big-screen smash-and-grab blockbuster Transformers came out in 2007, the characters I loved as a boy were all back, and more popular than ever. Only this time Bumblebee took the far more formidable form of a Camaro muscle car.
The little boy inside me, who still keeps one of those old shapeshifting VW toys dangling from his rearview mirror, has never recovered. Since the Transformers movies are machines that make a billion dollars every time they are turned on, most fans now would be outraged if the character ever switched back.
That is the cost when geek goes mainstream. You get more of what you love, but you have to share your toys with others. READ FULL STORY
'Age of Ultron': 'Avengers 2' title revealed, plus 'Captain America' and 'Thor' sequels storm Comic-Con
Prepare yourself for the Age of Ultron.
Joss Whedon surprised the crowd at the end of Marvel’s Comic-Con 2013 panel to reveal this as the title and main character of Avengers 2.
We’ll get to that. We promise.
The ever-growing cast of Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy has gained another actor. Oscar-winner Benicio Del Toro has signed onto the comic book-based movie. Deadline first reported the news.
Details about Del Toro’s role are being kept under wraps, but he’s reportedly playing a character will appear in future Marvel films. Deadline noted that the Traffic actor has signed a deal with Marvel that includes additional films for the studio. READ FULL STORY
• Doctor Who alum Karen Gillan is bound for more space adventures in Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, but this time not as a sidekick for the good guys. The Scottish actress will play a villain in the comic book-based movie — no more details have been revealed about her character. Lee Pace (Pushing Daisies) and Michael Rooker (The Walking Dead) will also play villains. Chris Pratt (Zero Dark Thirty) is set to play the lead, Star Lord. Prepping for a late June production start, Guardians of the Galaxy is scheduled for an Aug. 1, 2014 release date. [THR] READ FULL STORY
Six-time Oscar nominee Glenn Close (Albert Nobbs) is set to join the ensemble cast of Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy.
According to Deadline’s report, Close will play a Nova Corps leader in director James Gunn’s take on the series, and star alongside Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Lee Pace, Michael Rooker, and John C. Reilly, who recently joined the cast to play the part of Rhomann Dey. Marvel fans may be excited to learn that Nova Corps will have a role in the big screen adaptation of Guardians. For the uninitiated, Nova Corps is an intergalactic police force that appears throughout the Marvel universe.
Though Close takes on diverse roles, she often ends up portraying serious, driven, and borderline psychotic types — even in farces like Mars Attacks. This will be her first foray into the world of blockbuster comic book adaptations, but Close has a number of other projects on the horizon too. Since Damages has come to an end, Close has had the opportunity to get back into features and is currently working on the Joe Albany biopic Low Down with Game of Thrones stars Lena Headey and Peter Dinklage, and 5 to 7 with Frank Langella, Anton Yelchin and Olivia Thirlby.
Follow Lindsey on Twitter: @ldbahr
Marvel's Phase Two: 'Thor: The Dark World,' 'Cap 2: Winter Soldier,' 'Guardians of the Galaxy' and 'Avengers 2' -- EXCLUSIVE
Even heroes need a master plan.
When Marvel Studios began producing its own movies in 2008 with the original Iron Man, the film ended with Samuel L. Jackson’s S.H.I.E.L.D. spymaster Nick Fury telling Robert Downey Jr.: “Mr. Stark, you’ve become part of a bigger universe … “
That was the start of Phase One, in which The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America each linked up and laid the groundwork for what would become 2012’s biggest movie – the billion-and-a-half dollar blockbuster The Avengers.
With Iron Man 3 opening Friday, Marvel launches Phase Two – another ambitious expansion of its superheroes’ cinematic universe. Though much of it remains secret, producer and studio president Kevin Feige talked to EW to declassify a few new details.
• Lee Pace (Pushing Daisies, The Fall) is in final talks to star in the highly anticipated Guardians of the Galaxy film as the villain. At one point, Pace was being considered for the lead, which eventually went to Chris Pratt. Details on his role are sparse, but we’re not complaining if Guardians wants to take the Avengers route of casting a handsome bad guy. Pace donned a variety of different elaborate costumes recently for his roles in Lincoln, The Hobbit, and Twilight: Breaking Dawn – Part 2, and will be appearing in the next two installments of The Hobbit as well as the AMC drama Halt & Catch Fire. [The Wrap]
• Missing Merle Dixon already? Walking Dead actor Michael Rooker has just signed on to play the part of Yondu in Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, meaning he’ll have to trade in his zombie killing tools for a bow and arrow to portray the expert game hunter. With Chris Pratt already on board to play Star Lord, and Zoe Saldana in talks for Gamora, director James Gunn still needs to fill a slew of key roles including Rocket Raccoon and Groot. Gunn is expected to begin shooting this summer for an August 1, 2014 release. [Deadline]
• Vince Vaughn is currently in talks to star in Business Trip, a new comedy penned by Steve Conrad (The Pursuit of Happyness). According to the report, the concept is similar to the classic Steve Martin and John Candy comedy Planes, Trains & Automobiles, only this movie will take our traveler to Europe. The recent Saturday Night Live host has a number of big projects in the pipeline, including The Internship, out June 7, 2013. [The Wrap]
• James Caan (Elf) and Louis Gossett, Jr. (Stargate SG-1) have joined the cast of Fighting Man — a boxing drama. Directed by Damian Lee (A Dark Truth), the film also stars Famke Janssen (X-Men) and Dominic Purcell (Prison Break). [Deadline]
• Paul Sorvino (Goodfellas) will play a sheriff who starts looking into the suspicious death of a wealthy investment banker (played by Dermot Mulroney) in the indie thriller Careful What You Wish For. The cast currently includes Nick Jonas, Isabel Lucas, and Revolution’s Graham Rogers. [Deadline]
- 'Sing-Off' EW/Google+ Hangout: It's on!
- Carrie Underwood tweet on 'Sound of Music' critics?
- Kennedy: 'Independents' day for ex-MTV VJ
- 'Community' season 5: First trailer is here!
- 'SNL': Tim Meadows vs. 'Brasky' snub
- 'Fifty Shades' pic: Anastasia kisses Christian
- 'Her,' '12 Years a Slave' on AFI's 10 best list
- 'Anarchy': Maggie Siff on 'Gemma-like' Tara
- Bob Barker returning to 'Price Is Right,' first promo
- 'Community': Check out the first trailer for season 5 -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race': Check out the sickening season 6 supertease and meet the queens -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
- 'The Amazing Race' recap: The Final Frontier
- New 'Fifty Shades' pic shows Ana kissing Christian -- PHOTO