Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones are both Ivy Leaguers who broke into Hollywood in the 1970s and went on to become Academy Award winners, but somehow they never managed to truly work together. Yes, they both co-starred in Robert Altman’s A Prairie Home Companion in 2006, but they never shared a scene, making Hope Springs, that summer movie that your mom and her book club raved about, extremely special. The duo play an aging married couple who have allowed the sizzle to go out from their marriage, and Steve Carell is the marriage specialist tasked with getting them back in the groove. The Blu-ray and DVD are released today, and EW has an exclusive clip from the DVD Gag Reel. Two reasons why this gag reel is superior to 99 percent of gag reels: Tommy Lee Jones and corgis. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Hope Springs (1-5 of 5)
Despite the departure of star Matt Damon and director Paul Greengrass, the Bourne franchise still ruled the box office this weekend.
The Bourne Legacy, Universal’s $125 million sequel/reboot, which stars Jeremy Renner as a new (but similarly brainwashed) secret agent, topped the chart with an estimated $40.3 million from 3,745 locations
The action film debuted higher than franchise launchpad The Bourne Identity, which grossed $27.1 million in its 2002 opening weekend, but it will need solid word of mouth (which may not be merited by its lukewarm “B” CinemaScore grade) to match that film’s $121.7 million finish. Legacy was unable to reach the heights of its two predecessors, though. 2004′s The Bourne Supremacy started with $52.5 million on the way to $176.2 million, and 2007′s The Bourne Ultimatum started with $69.3 million en route to a $227.5 million finish. READ FULL STORY
Universal’s $125 million Matt Damon-less thriller The Bourne Legacy easilytopped the box office on Friday with $14 million. The Jeremy Renner action entry may take in about $40 million over the weekend period, and while that total would fall short of its 2007 predecessor, The Bourne Ultimatum, which started with $69.3 million, it’s a solid start for the rebooted franchise. READ FULL STORY
After a full three weeks atop the chart The Dark Knight Rises will likely descend a few spots this weekend due to the arrival of The Bourne Legacy and The Campaign.
The two male-driven tentpoles are looking to make a big splash, while fellow newcomer Hope Springs, which debuted on Wednesday, will likely make smaller waves. Here’s how the box office might shake out:
1. The Bourne Legacy – $37 million
Universal spent $125 million on this sequel, which has Jeremy Renner taking over the franchise from Matt Damon. Although Renner’s profile was certainly raised by his presence in The Avengers and Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, he’s not a proven box office draw on his own, and fans who loved the pairing of Matt Damon and director Paul Greengrass (both of whom are out) may stay away. Thus, it’s likely that Legacy will start off with about half of what 2007′s The Bourne Ultimatum opened with ($69.3 million), but the franchise has ample credibility working in its favor. Action fans should turn out in large enough numbers to give the film a $37 million debut. READ FULL STORY
Meryl Streep may not be sporting fancy wigs or plummy accents for Hope Springs, her new comedy about a sixtysomething married couple (Streep and a growly Tommy Lee Jones) facing down the sexual doldrums of entering retirement age. But thanks to a can-do couples counselor (Steve Carell), her character does contend with some salacious fruit. Check out the new trailer below: READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'SNL' recap: Cameron Diaz is a 'Back Home Baller'
- 'Mockingjay--Part 1': $123M opening weekend
- 'Jurassic World' teases Thanksgiving trailer: 3 nods to 'Jurassic Park'
- 'Hobbit' First Look: Billy Boyd music video for the 'Last Goodbye' closing theme
- Stephen Merchant answers burning Q's about 'Hello Ladies: The Movie' (including THAT cameo)
- 20 platonic movie/TV power couples
- Tyler James Williams' 'Walking Dead' preview: 'We're going back to get the squad'
- 'Mockingjay--Part 1': 7 biggest changes from page to screen
- See the exclusive music video for 'The Hobbit's 'Last Goodbye,' with Billy Boyd and goosebumps aplenty
- Bodies of Work: 49 Unforgettable Nude Scenes
- 'Saturday Night Live' recap: 'Cameron Diaz and Mark Ronson/Bruno Mars'
- Cameron Diaz hosts 'Saturday Night Live' this weekend -- talk about it here!
- Bobby Moynihan: Drunk Uncle, Aunt Linda, and Stefon are one big family