• Oscar-winner Nicole Kidman (The Hours), Guy Pearce (Prometheus) and Hugo Weaving (The Hobbit) will all star in the Australian thriller Strangerland, about a couple whose two teenage children go missing in the Australian desert. Kim Farrant will direct the film from a script by Fiona Seres and Michael Kinirons. [THR]
Tag: Hugo Weaving (1-4 of 4)
• French director Luc Besson, who introduced the world to Natalie Portman in The Professional, has cast Scarlett Johansson as his lead in his newest film, Lucy. In the film, Lucy is forced to be a drug mule. But, when the drug gets into her system, she turns into a super-being with telekinesis abilities, martial arts skills, and the helpful bonus of being immune to pain. Johansson is certainly finding a new life as an action star ever since she took on the role of Natasha Romanoff for the Marvel universe. She also stars in Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s directorial debut (and festival favorite) Don Jon, which finally hits theaters on October 18. [THR]
• James Franco is continuing his auteur tour, and may sign on to star in Werner Herzog’s (Grizzly Man) Queen of the Desert about Gertrude Bell, the turn of the 20th century British adventurer. Jude Law was attached to star but dropped out due to scheduling conflicts. The report says that Ridley Scott may also have a Gertrude Bell in the works that Angelina Jolie is interested in. There is no word yet on which actress would play Bell in Herzog’s version. [Deadline]
Casting Net: Benedict Cumberbatch to play the Beatles' closeted manager. Plus: Christoph Waltz, Jennifer Garner, Vince Vaughn
• YES: Christoph Waltz is in talks to star in the sequel to The Muppets, as an Interpol inspector. While star Jason Segel won’t reprise his role, director James Bobin and writer Nicholas Stoller are expected to return in their respective roles, with Bobin also co-penning the script. [THR]
• Jennifer Garner will join Matthew McConaughey in The Dallas Buyers Club, a drama about a real-life AIDS patient Ron Woodroof, who smuggled pharmaceuticals into to the U.S. for himself and others living with the disease. Garner will play the Woodroof’s physician, Dr. Eve Saks. Jean-Marc Vallée (The Young Victoria) will direct from a script by Melisa Wallack (Meet Bill) and Craig Borten. [Deadline]
• Vince Vaughn is attached to star in Triple Time, an action-thriller about a U.S. marshal (Vaughn) accompanying an accused prisoner to D.C., when all hell breaks loose. Regular Vaughn collaborator (and child star of A Christmas Story) Peter Billingsley (Couples Retreat) will direct the script he penned with Michael J. Wilson (The Tuxedo). [Variety]
Click below for new projects for Sarah Jessica Parker, Shirley MacLaine, Christopher Plummer, Mark Strong, Hugo Weaving, Rose Byrne, and Miranda Otto. READ FULL STORY
- 'Voice': Tessanne Chin sings for OUR supper!
- ‘X-Men’: Bryan Singer reveals latest changes
- 'Duck Dynasty': 4 ways standoff with A&E ends
- EW's TV midseason finale awards
- 50 TV series' best and worst episodes of 2013
- Johnny Depp in 'Transcendence': Trailer, 2 teasers
- 'Duck Dynasty': 'We'll figure out a solution'
- 'Duck Dynasty': Crisis managers' advice?