Paramount tweeted the first poster for Star Trek Into Darkness, and the evocative image has a decidedly gritty Earthly vibe. The final-frontier franchise built upon the ambitious credo to “go where no man has gone before” is grounded firmly, without any of the Enterprise‘s crew in sight. Instead, we see the back of a Neo-garbed Benedict Cumberbatch, emerging unscathed from urban destruction (of his own making?) and looking out towards a futuristic metropolis. With Cumberbatch standing atop the rubble, the devastation frames him with an iconic emblem. See it below and click on it to see it even larger: READ FULL STORY
Tag: J.J. Abrams (21-30 of 45)
Next year’s Star Trek sequel has been kept tightly under wraps in the J.J. Abrams Sphere of Secrecy, but Paramount just released an official plot summary for the movie that is guaranteed to whet your brain-appetite. The synopsis is totes abstract in vintage Abrams form, but it nevertheless features some teasing mega-hints about the film… and about the still-unannounced villain, played by cerebral sex guru Benedict Cumberbatch. Check out the official synopsis below: READ FULL STORY
Boldly going where only Christopher Nolan has gone before, the first nine minutes of J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek Into Darkness will debut on roughly 500 IMAX screens starting Dec. 14, Paramount Pictures announced Wednesday. The 3-D footage will play in front of IMAX exhibitions of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.
Abrams shot several sequences of the sequel to his 2009 hit using IMAX’s large-format cameras, following in the footsteps of Nolan’s IMAX sequences in The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises, and Brad Bird’s IMAX work on Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol. READ FULL STORY
Back in 1977, Star Wars was the ideal North Star influence for a future filmmaker named J.J. Abrams. But now, 35 years later, he says the Jedi universe isn’t the right direction for his career.
Disney’s newly acquired Lucasfilm is moving fast on the now-public plan to have a new Star Wars film in theaters in 2015 to launch a new trilogy. Sources say Lucasfilm sent a treatment last week to three filmmakers — Abrams and Oscar winners Brad Bird and Steven Spielberg. But Abrams told EW this morning that as much as he loves the Jedi universe, it won’t be his next destination.
“I have some original stuff I am working on next,” said Abrams, who is now in post-production on Star Trek Into Darkness, the follow-up to his 2009 hit Star Trek. Then of course there’s Revolution the latest addition to his considerable television pursuits, which have included Lost, Fringe, and Alias. READ FULL STORY
Some of the biggest Star Wars fans in the world are the Hollywood writers, directors, and producers who bought a ticket for a Jedi movie in the 1970s and 1980s. On Tuesday, as headlines announced a new hope for a return to Star Wars glory, those Tinseltown loyalists were hit by the Force all over again.
“All I can say is my heart literally started racing when I heard,” said Damon Lindleof, screenwriter for Prometheus. George Nolfi, writer-director of The Adjustment Bureau, said the horizon will need to be bigger to handle the colossal project taking shape there. “I can’t imagine,” Nolfi said Tuesday night, “a larger event-film for our generation than a sequel to Return of the Jedi.”
J.J. Abrams debuts on 'Conan' an exclusive clip of 'Star Trek Into Darkness'...with a catch -- VIDEO
That J.J. Abrams, craftier than a Ferengi. Appearing on Conan Thursday night to promote his NBC series Revolution, Abrams couldn’t help but tantalize fans of his upcoming Star Trek sequel — officially titled Star Trek Into Darkness — by premiering an exclusive clip of the film. The catch: It was only three frames long. But they weren’t boring frames! Check them out below: READ FULL STORY
The colon is so 20th century.
EW has confirmed that the official title for director J.J. Abrams’ sequel to his 2009 film Star Trek will be Star Trek Into Darkness. (TrekMovie.com first reported the news.)
The moniker further differentiates Abrams’ reboot of the venerable sci-fi franchise from the earlier Trek movies, which either went the roman-numeral-and-subtitle route (i.e. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan) or eschewed the number for just a colon-ized subtitle (i.e. Star Trek: First Contact). But it also presents an unusual mental picture — are the stars trekking into some unknown darkness? — that only raises more questions about the film’s tightly guarded plot. READ FULL STORY
Bad Robot is going into search and destroy mode with the Nazi-hunting drama Wunderkind.
J.J. Abrams’ production company is teaming up with Paramount Pictures after optioning the script for the film, about a young CIA agent investigating German war criminals and an aging Israeli Mossad agent pursuing the same.
While promoting the premiere of his upcoming Fox series Alcatraz at the TCA press tour in Pasadena, Calif., J.J. Abrams also spoke with reporters about his plans to have the sequel to his 2009 blockbuster Star Trek, which begins shooting on Thursday, converted to 3-D in post-production. “I did not fight for the 3-D,” says Abrams. “It was something the studio wanted to do. I didn’t want to do it.” Indeed, at a 2010 Comic-Con panel hosted by EW, Abrams expressed real reservations about the 3-D format: “The thing that drives me crazy about 3-D is that when you put on the glasses, everything seems dim. I’m not totally on board yet.”
So what changed his mind? READ FULL STORY
'MI:4' director on filming in IMAX and how Christopher Nolan is 'throwing down the showmanship' with 'The Dark Knight Rises'
Brad Bird wanted to be a filmmaker since the moment he learned to draw. “I didn’t realize this until later,” says the 54-year old director of Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, “but the very first drawings I did when I was a kid at age 3 were sequential. They weren’t great drawings – they were just stick figures – but they were meant to be viewed in a certain order. So from the very beginning, I was trying to make films.”
The pictures have only gotten got more sophisticated — and larger — since then. Bird made a name for himself in animation with The Iron Giant, then won Oscars with two Pixar blockbusters, The Incredibles and Ratatouille, both of which he wrote and directed. His winning streak has continued with his first live-action effort: Ghost Protocol, the fourth installment in Tom Cruise’s signature spy-fi franchise — and the second to be shepherded by producer J.J. Abrams — has received rave reviews (EW’s Owen Gleiberman even has it on his 10 best of ’11 list) and is poised to be one of the biggest movies of the holiday season. (The film, which opened in theaters nationwide on Wednesday, grossed over $17 million during a 6-day run on 425 IMAX screens.) Bird took a few minutes to speak with EW about the animation-to-live-action-to-IMAX transition. READ FULL STORY
- Grammys 2014 nominees are...
- 'Grammy Nominations Concert': Your take?
- 'HIMYM,' more fresh TV spoilers
- 'Sound of Music': Movie's Von Trapp kids say...
- 'Sound of Music': Laura Benanti on big night
- Music on TV: What was THAT song?
- 10 best movies of '13: Owen Gleiberman picks...
- 10 best movies of '13: Chris Nashawaty picks...
- 'Sound of Music' ratings soar: NBC's biggest Thursday in 4 years
- Grammy Nominations 2014: See the list of nominees
- 'Sleepy Hollow,' 'How I Met Your Mother,' 'Revolution,' 'Supernatural': Find out what's next in the Spoiler Room
- Vin Diesel recalls his conversation with Paul Walker's mom
- 'Family Guy': What's next for Brian