• Tom Cruise and director Doug Liman are reportedly courting Jack Nicholson for the Warner Bros. comedy El Presidente, about a by-the-books secret service agent assigned to protect “America’s worst former President” who boozes and womanizes with abandon. Nicholson would play the part of the President, a VP who assumed the Commander-in-Chief’s job after the President died. According to the report, the project has been in development since 2010 — originally with Jay Roach in the director’s chair. Nicholson and Cruise appeared together previously in 1992′s A Few Good Men, which earned Nicholson a Best Supporting Actor nomination. The three-time Oscar winner has not appeared in a movie since 2010′s How Do You Know. [THR]
Tag: Jack Nicholson (1-3 of 3)
No, that’s too easy. How about: “I want you to hold this trophy … between your knees.”
Jack Nicholson will serve as a presenter at the Academy Awards this Sunday, ending several years of absence for the man whose sinister grin was a front-row mainstay at the show for decades.
He’s bringing with him another Oscar veteran: Dustin Hoffman. READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Cameron Diaz will be 'The Other Woman.' Plus: Chris Hemsworth, Sylvester Stallone, Viggo Mortensen
• Cameron Diaz is attached to play The Other Woman, a comedy about an unwitting mistress who, upon learning her boyfriend is really a married man, teams up with his wife for revenge. Kristen Wiig is also being considered for the film, though it’s unclear whether she would play the wife. Screenwriter Melissa Stack (who penned the Black Listed, but unproduced, I Want to F— Your Sister) penned the script. No director is yet set for the film. [TheWrap]
• Chris Hemsworth is set to star in Candy Store, a thriller from Syriana writer-director Stephen Gaghan about a former elite spook whose attempt to restart his life quietly in Brooklyn is cut short when he realizes his old enemy is alive in well in his new home. [TheWrap]
• Sylvester Stallone is setting aside the massive explosions for a supporting role in Reach Me, an ensemble drama about a people connected to a self-help book by an ex-football coach. Nelly, Danny Aiello, and Omari Hardwick (Sparkle) costar. Director John Herzfeld (2 Days in the Valley) also penned the script. [Variety]
• Viggo Mortensen will produce and star in an untitled fantasy drama about a Danish man who travels with his daughter to a desert that is separate from modern civilization. Argentine director Lisandro Alonso (La Libertad, Liverpool) wrote the script with Fabian Casas. [Variety]
• Game of Thrones‘ Kit Harington is in talks to bring his envious head of hair to Pompeii, a thriller about the famed Roman city that was buried in ash when the volcano Mt. Vesuvius erupted in 79 A.D. Harington will play a slave racing against time to save his beloved and his best friend. Who else to better direct the historically scalding carnage than Paul W.S. Anderson (the Resident Evil oeuvre)? [THR]
• Jack Nicholson is being pursued to play Robert Downey Jr.‘s father in The Judge, a drama about a lawyer who has to defend his Alzheimer’s-suffering pops when he’s accused of killing their mother. No deal is close, however. David Dobkin (The Change-Up, Fred Claus) will direct from a script originally penned by Nick Schenk (Gran Torino). [THR]
• Maria Bello has signed onto an untitled horror thriller from producer James Wan (Saw, Insidious) about a group of college students who are discovered murdered inside an abandoned house, and probably not from any rusty nails. Will Canon (The Brotherhood) is directing from a script by first-time feature screenwriter Max La Bella. [Variety]
Casting Net: Sean Penn eyeing thriller ‘Prone Gunman.’ Plus: John Hawkes, George Clooney, Ty Burrell
Casting Net: James McAvoy in talks for WikiLeaks movie. Plus: Jennifer Jason Leigh, Sara Canning
Casting Net: Rachel Weisz in talks for David Cronenberg’s ‘Map to the Stars.’ Plus: Alan Arkin, Wendi McClendon-Covey
Latest Videos in Movies
- American Music Awards 2014: Your take on Taylor Swift, J.Lo, more highs/lows?
- American Music Awards '14: We grade the performances
- American Music Awards 2014 style: What the stars wore
- 'Walking Dead' recap: 'Crossed'
- 'Jurassic World' teases Thanksgiving trailer: 3 nods to 'Jurassic Park'
- 'Good Wife'; Atlanta 'Housewives'; 'The Newsroom'; 'The Comeback' recaps
- 'Homeland'; 'SNL'; 'The Affair'; 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine'; 'Bob's Burgers'; more TV recaps
- 'Walking Dead': Seth Gilliam on where Father Gabriel is going