• It’s been a while since we’ve heard any news about the film adaptation of Lois Lowry’s dystopian novel The Giver, but things are moving forward. Jeff Bridges has been attached to the project for over a year to play the Giver, and now, Brenton Thwaites has been cast as Jonas, the young boy chosen to be trained by the Giver. Thwaites has appeared on a number of Australian televisions show and is also portraying the Young Prince in Maleficent. Fans of the book will remember we meet Jonas just as he’s about to turn 12. Thwaites is already in his 20s. Phillip Noyce (Patriot Games) is set to direct the project for The Weinstein Company. Filming will commence in South Africa this fall. [Deadline]
Tag: Jacki Weaver (1-3 of 3)
Casting Net: Benedict Cumberbatch teams up with Guillermo del Toro; Plus, Omar Sy, Jacki Weaver, more
• Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock) has signed on to star in Guillermo del Toro’s Crimson Peak. The English actor is joining Emma Stone and Charlie Hunnam (Pacific Rim) for the project, which is being described as a gothic horror story set at the turn of the century. Cumberbatch has been a cult favorite amongst Sherlock fans, but till recently he’s stayed mainly on the margins with his film roles. But with upcoming roles in Star Trek Into Darkness, August: Osage County, and Twelve Years a Slave, he will be a household name in no time. [Variety]
• Speaking of future household names, Jason Clarke (Zero Dark Thirty) and Omar Sy (The Intouchables) have both joined the cast of The Candy Store. Directed and co-written by Stephen Gaghan (Traffic), the action film will follow multiple storylines set in the criminal underworld of Brighton Beach. Clarke will play a former covert operative who decides to do some work on his own and ends up finding some of the leaders, including Sy’s king pimp. [THR]
Casting Net: Gerard Butler's new goal to defeat Nazis in 'Dynamo.' Plus: Paul Giamatti, Olivia Wilde, Romany Malco
• Gerard Butler is attached to star in Dynamo, about the real-life soccer match during WWII between a team of starving Ukrainian players and a well-fed German team, commonly referred to as “The Death Match.” The project is based on the book Dynamo: Defending The Honour Of Kiev; no director is yet attached. [Deadline]
• Moving forward in time for historical dramas, Paul Giamatti, Billy Bob Thornton and Jacki Weaver (Animal Kingdom) are set to star in Parkland, which examines the assassination of President John F. Kennedy through the prism of Parkland Hospital in Dallas, where Kennedy was brought after he’d been shot. Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman are producing. The film is based on Vincent Bugliosi’s tome Reclaiming History: The Assassination of John F. Kennedy. The project, which is aiming to arrive in theaters next year in time for the 50th anniversary of JFK’s death, does not yet have a director. [THR]
• Olivia Wilde, Hailee Steinfeld and Nicole Behaire (Shame) have signed up to star in the Civil War period drama The Keeping Room, about two sisters and their slave who fend off Union soldiers from attacking their home. Daniel Barber (the UK film Harry Brown) will direct from a script by first-time feature writer Julia Hart. [THR]
• Romany Malco (The 40 Year Old Virgin, Think Like a Man) has joined Last Vegas, as the hotel concierge at the hotel where four old friends (Michael Douglas, Robert De Niro, Morgan Freeman, and Kevin Kline) have gathered for a bachelor party. Jon Turteltaub (National Treasure) is directing from a script by Crazy, Stupid, Love screenwriter Dan Fogelman. [Deadline]
• Saturday Night Live‘s Jay Pharoah, longtime comic character actor Bryan Callen (The Hangover), and actress Tika Sumpter (Sparkle) have joined the comedy Ride Along, about a security guard (Kevin Hart) forced to accompany the cop brother (Ice Cube) of his fiancée (Sumpter) on his regular beat. Pharoah will play an informant, and Callen will play an undercover cop alongside John Leguizamo. Tim Story (Think Like a Man) is directing. [Variety]
Casting Net: George Clooney lands Daniel Craig, Bill Murray, John Goodman for ‘Monuments Men.’ Plus: ‘Captain America’ 2 finds its Crossbones
Casting Net: Arnold Schwarzenegger reviving Conan the Barbarian in new film. Plus: Adam Sandler, Patrick Wilson, Liv Tyler
Casting Net: Johnny Depp embracing ‘Transcendence.’ Plus: Bradley Cooper, Rhys Ifans, Katt Williams
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover: Watch 5 minutes
- 'Leftovers': The last straw
- 'True Blood': Anna Paquin's hair is to dye for
- Comic-Con 2014 star portraits: Day 3
- 'Mad Max' trailer: 'My world is fire and blood'
- 'Ant-Man': Has Peyton Reed heard from Edgar Wright?
- 'Game of Thrones': Epic season 4 blooper reel
- 'Simpsons' season premiere peek: Is Homer a goner?
- See 5 minutes of the 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover episode
- Enough, already: Why I'm quitting 'The Leftovers'
- Sneak a peek at the 'Simpsons' season premiere, in which one character will die
- Anna Paquin celebrated 'True Blood's end by dyeing her hair purple
- 'Game of Thrones' epic blooper reel released