Actors aren’t the characters they play (duh!), but a lot of times we pretend they are. Whoever they happen to be off-screen can dictate the lens through which we experience them on-screen. In The Canyons, Paul Schrader’s raunchy and malevolent dark-side-of-L.A. thriller soap opera, Lindsay Lohan, in troweled-on ’60s makeup (think Elizabeth Taylor meets Tura Satana), plays a Los Angeles hanger-on named Tara who always seems a thin step away from falling apart. The character, in many respects, is worlds away from Lohan herself, yet we can’t help but notice the similarities. Both exude attitude and vulnerability in equal measure, and both are damaged beauties who have clung to their sexual allure as a kind of hard-edged final option. They’re both party girls who have begun to run out of gas. READ FULL STORY
Tag: James Deen (1-3 of 3)
It’s the moment we’ve all been either waiting for … or dreading. After months of hype, fascinating profiles, delays, and finger-twirling, The Canyons is finally upon us.
From the minds of writer Bret Easton Ellis and director Paul Schrader, The Canyons is a Los Angeles-set neo-noir about Tara (Lindsay Lohan), an aspiring actress, and her producer boyfriend Christian (James Deen), and all the gritty eroticism that their modern-day, exaggerated L.A. has to offer.
For those of you who were somewhat won over by the manipulative pastiche of the teaser, the first official trailer goes in a slightly different direction. It opens with a Tara pondering the movie-going experience, intercut with images of abandoned theaters, but then transitions into a neon montage of sultry, provocative images of scantily clad Lohan and Deen. And of course we get one shot of Gus Van Sant, who also stars in the film. The background music is on trend, with a similar feel to the tracks used for the commercial spots for Spring Breakers and The Bling Ring.
Take a look at the trailer after the jump and let us know what you think.
… but chances are you’ll do it anyway.
The clip features Lohan as Tara, a fragile young woman who spends two minutes scintillatingly looking for her phone (seriously). Some life is injected into the proceedings when Tara’s volatile boyfriend Christian — played by porn star next door James Deen — suddenly awakens and accuses her of cheating. Violence follows, although the lighting is so dim that you’ll barely be able to see it; there’s also some NSFW language, as should be expected from screenwriter Bret Easton Ellis.
Will The Canyons be the Showgirls of the 20-teens? Make an early judgment for yourself by watching the clip below:
Latest Videos in Movies
- Winners and losers of Summer 2014
- 30 Days of Binge: Take our tips to dive into 'Lost'; a 2014 hit you missed; or a TV classic that passed you by
- 'Agents of SHIELD': First 30-second glimpse of season 2
- Angelina Jolie-Brad Pitt wedding photos debut in People
- EW's 2014 Summer Movie Awards
- Jennifer Lawrence nude pics: FBI issues statement
- 'Hullabaloo': Will fans of hand-drawn animation art fund this indie short?
- 'Unauthorized Saved by the Bell Story': 100 things that happened (maybe?)
- 100 things that apparently happened, as told by 'The Unauthorized Saved…
- Internet grinds to halt as nude pics of Jennifer Lawrence, others surface
- FBI issues statement on leaked nude photos of Jennifer Lawrence, others
- CeeLo Green tweets that only women who 'remember' can be raped (Updated)
- EW's 2014 Summer Movie Awards