• Djimon Hounsou (Blood Diamond) has joined the cast of Fast & Furious 7 in an unknown role. Other newcomers to the franchise include Kurt Russell and Ronda Rousey, who will be joined by Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and Jason Statham – all returning for Insidious director James Wan’s Fast & Furious debut. In addition to roles in Seventh Son and the upcoming rom com Baggage Claim, Hounsou is also playing Korath the Pursuer in Guardians of the Galaxy. [Variety]
Tag: Jim Broadbent (1-5 of 5)
Interwoven sci-fi epic Cloud Atlas, which opened in theaters last Friday, twists and turns over a 500 year period and six story lines, stretching from 1849 to 1936, 1973, 2012, 2144 and tribally futuristic 2346. The film also stars a massive cast, including Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Jim Sturgess, Jim Broadbent, Hugh Grant and Susan Sarandon in multiple roles. Check out this exclusive featurette, Cloud Atlas: Everything Is Connected, below, in which Hanks, Sturgess, Grant, Berry, and other actors talk about how the film’s various characters are all bound together. Letters, for instance, turn up in different eras, yet touch on people in previous lifetimes. The movie revolves around the idea of one soul traveling through time. “In Cloud Atlas, all of our roles are connected somehow,” says Hanks. “Everyone plays a specific, and yet connected, beats.”
READ FULL STORY
Cloud Atlas co-director Tom Tykwer is not only a talented writer and filmmaker, but he also knows how to weave his own music into his films. The orchestral original soundtrack for the upcoming sci-fi fantasy epic, composed by Tykwer and his longtime scoring partners, will be out digitally Oct. 23 and on CD Nov. 6 in a 23-track set, EW can exclusively confirm.
The movie, based on David Mitchell’s novel, spans 500 years and stars a long litany of A-listers such as Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, and Hugh Grant in multiple roles snaking through six different eras ranging from 1849 to 1973 to 2346. The movie comes out in theaters Oct. 26.
Tykwer, who wrote and directed Cloud Atlas with The Matrix filmmakers Lana and Andy Wachowski, composed the film’s equally dramatic score with Johnny Klimek and Reinhold Heil. The trio have worked together for years as Pale 3, composing, arranging and playing music for Tykwer’s films Run Lola Run, The Princess and the Warrior and Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, among others.
Check out this exclusive Cloud Atlas track, below, titled “All Boundaries Are Conventions,” which starts off with a slow piano melody that spreads upwards into an emotional flurry of violins and a deep-voiced choir. READ FULL STORY
If there ever was a movie that takes advantage of the full-screen IMAX treatment, it’s the upcoming sprawling, colorful epic Cloud Atlas.
The film will be digitally remastered into IMAX format and released in select IMAX theaters in North America on Oct. 26, Warner Bros. and IMAX confirmed to EW.com on Monday.
Directed by siblings Lana and Andy Wachowski, who helmed The Matrix blockbusters, and Run Lola Run filmmaker Tom Tykwer, the movie tells a story spanning 500 years. Based on the bestselling 2004 novel by David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas stars Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Hugh Grant, Jim Broadbent, Susan Sarandon, Xun Zhou, and a slew of other known actors taking on varied, multiple roles, from a bald-headed, foul-mouthed writer (Hanks) to a violent futuristic villain covered in face paint (Grant).
“Trailblazing filmmakers Tom Tykwer and the Wachowskis understand how to transport moviegoers through ground-breaking imagery and scale,” said Greg Foster, chairman and president of IMAX Filmed Entertainment, in a statement. “We’re excited to build on our partnerships with Warner Bros. and the filmmakers and present this epic tale in IMAX.”
For more film news Follow @solvej_schou
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Arrow' shocker: Talk about 'Seeing Red'
- Meg Ryan joins 'How I Met Your Dad' as narrator
- 'John From Cincinnati': Why not ready for Prime time?
- 'Jurassic World' First Look: 3 new photos
- TV clip shows: 5 all-time standouts
- 'Mean Girls' star comes out in letter to his character
- 'Orange Is the New Black': Watch how season 2 starts
- 'Orange Is the New Black' is on the new EW cover
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show' 651
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'There isn't a single episode of television I've written that I don't wish I could get back and do again' 494
- Slaves to Love 464
- The Man Who Could Not Stand Still 508
- Facebook campaign asks for crew boycott as 'Midnight Rider' production resumes 381
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'I feel like I'm just now starting to learn how to write it' -- LISTEN
- 'Friends' creators Marta Kauffman and David Crane look back at the finale -- and why they won't do a reunion show
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show'
- HBO makes huge Amazon Prime deal: See which shows are going online
- 'Jurassic World': See the first images from the set of next summer's dinosaur flick -- EXCLUSIVE