Brian Trenchard-Smith has been a director for 40 years and has made around the same amount of movies, from 1975’s George Lazenby-featuring action film The Man from Hong Kong through 1986’s cult film Dead End Drive-In to last year’s straight-to-DVD thriller Absolute Deception, which starred Cuba Gooding Jr. “I’ve never met a green-light I didn’t like,” chuckles the urbane auteur.
Tag: John Cusack (1-10 of 19)
Hot off of Red 2 and the latest G.I. Joe movie, 59-year-old Bruce Willis continues to prove he can still carry an action movie.
Later this year, he’ll appear in both Sin City: A Dame to Kill For and The Prince. The latter is another kidnapped-daughter-rescue story à la Taken. Jason Patric plays the dad rescuing his kid—but according to the trailer, it looks like Willis will get way more action screentime as the kidnapper. 50 Cent and John Cusack also show up in supporting roles.
Now here’s a movie we can have fun with — as long as we strap on our seat belts and try not to take it too seriously.
Drive Hard, directed by cult filmmaker Brian Trenchard-Smith (Leprechaun 4: In Space, Airforce 2: Down), stars John Cusack as a bank robber named Simon Keller who recruits ex-Formula 1 champion Peter Robert (Thomas Jane) — now working as a driving instructor — to be his getaway driver after Keller robs a bank. Fun? Yes. Is there a point to the film? We’re not entirely sure… but then again, isn’t that true of most heist films?
The film will be released by Image Entertainment, and while there’s no word yet on a release date, Voltage Pictures has kindly provided us with a new trailer in anticipation of the movie hitting screens sometime later this year. Discussion questions: Why, John Cusack? And how much did Thomas Jane get paid to wear that wig?
• Curtis Jackson (aka 50 Cent), John Cusack (Lee Daniels’ The Butler), and Jason Patric (Speed 2: Cruise Control) will team up with Bruce Willis for The Prince, a Las Vegas-set thriller about a former mob boss who must return to the city when his daughter goes missing. Brian A Miller (House of the Rising Sun) is set to direct. Cusack and Jackson recently appeared together in The Frozen Ground. [Deadline]
There’s nothing more ominous in a movie than an authority figure saying, “[Insert killer's name here] is an upstanding citizen.”
In The Frozen Ground, John Cusack plays serial killer Robert Hansen and Nicolas Cage is Jack Halcombe, the Alaska state trooper trying to catch and convict him. When Cindy Paulson (Vanessa Hudgens) escapes from Hansen, her testimony could be a break in the case. However, given her job description (the Disney alum is seen pole-dancing in the trailer), the cops aren’t sure her testimony will hold water. The movie is based on true events, which you probably shouldn’t read up on if you want to sleep soundly tonight.
Yahoo! has the exclusive trailer, which you can watch below:
READ FULL STORY
Hollywood came to Chicago on Thursday as actors, directors, film critics and studio presidents honored late movie reviewer Roger Ebert in his hometown.
All of those who shared memories at the Chicago Theatre cheered Ebert as a champion of movies and a critic who used his influence to help filmmakers find audiences. He died last week at age 70 after a years-long battle with cancer.
“He was always supportive of artists. He always gave you a fair shake,” said Chicago native John Cusack, who appeared with his sister and fellow actor, Joan Cusack.
Ebert worked at the Chicago Sun-Times for more than 40 years. The day before his April 4 death, he wrote in a post on his blog that he was taking a break from his schedule of almost-daily movie reviewing because the cancer had recurred.
“He was simply one of the finest men I ever met,” Chaz Ebert said of her late husband during Thursday night’s memorial. READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Colin Firth and Michael Fassbender to explore 'Genius.' Plus: Amanda Seyfried, Patrick Dempsey, Stellan Skarsgard
• Colin Firth and Michael Fassbender are set to star in the biopic Genius, about the relationship between literary editor Max Perkins (Firth) and celebrated author Thomas Wolfe (Fassbender), film sales company FilmNation Entertainment announced today. Screenwriter John Logan (Skyfall, Hugo) is adapting A. Scott Berg’s biography Max Perkins: Editor of Genius, and London theater fixture Michael Grandage will make his feature film directing debut.
• Amanda Seyfried and Patrick Dempsey will star in the romantic comedy Wonderful Tonight, about a one night stand that results in pregnancy. Christine Jeffs (Sunshine Cleaning) will direct from a script by J. Mills Goodloe (Pride). [Deadline]
• Stellan Skarsgård (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Avengers) has signed onto the dramedy Hector and the Search for Happiness, the film’s producers announced today. Based on the novel by François Lelord, the film follows the titular psychiatrist (Simon Pegg) as he searches the globe to discover the secret to true happiness. Rosamund Pike (Wrath of the Titans), and Christopher Plummer costar. Peter Chelsom (Shall We Dance, Serendipity) is directing from a script written by him, Maria von Heland (Big Girls Don’t Cry), and newcomer Tinker Lindsay.
• John Cusack is set to headline Airspace, a thriller about a pilot of a charter plane who finds his plane under attack by a MiG fighter jet. Roger Avary (The Rules of Attraction) is in talks to direct from a script penned by Briana Hartman (Brother’s Keeper). [Variety]
• Frank Langella (Robot and Frank, Frost/Nixon), Rosario Dawson (Eagle Eye), Josh Hartnett (30 Days of Night), and Gena Rowlands (The Notebook) will star in Parts Per Billion, an ensemble drama follows three couples as they weather a major devastating event. Brian Horiuchi is making his feature directing debut from his own script. [TheWrap]
Casting Net: Benedict Cumberbatch to play the Beatles’ closeted manager. Plus: Christoph Waltz, Jennifer Garner, Vince Vaughn
Casting Net: Gerard Butler’s new goal to defeat Nazis in ‘Dynamo.’ Plus: Paul Giamatti, Olivia Wilde, Romany Malco
Casting Net: George Clooney lands Daniel Craig, Bill Murray, John Goodman for ‘Monuments Men.’ Plus: ‘Captain America’ 2 finds its Crossbones
'The Paperboy' clip: Nicole Kidman's sexpot and John Cusack's inmate size each other up -- EXCLUSIVE
When The Paperboy premiered at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival, director Lee Daniels’ follow-up to Precious created quite a stir, thanks in large part to Nicole Kidman’s performance as tarted-up sexpot Charlotte Bless, who’s eager to get her pen pal boyfriend (John Cusack) sprung from jail for a murder she swears he didn’t commit. She enlists the help of a Florida reporter (Matthew McConaughey) and his associate (David Oyelowo), and entrances the reporter’s younger brother (Zac Efron). But in this exclusive clip from the film — in which everyone meets Cusack’s character for the first time — Charlotte’s attention remains squarely on the man she’s hoping to free. Check it out below: READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: 'Iron Man 3' lands new villain. Plus: Kate Beckinsale, Morgan Freeman, Anthony Hopkins, Annette Bening, Larry David, Jane Fonda
• Morgan Freeman is in talks to join the increasingly impressive cast of the older-men-on-a-bachelor-party-bender comedy Last Vegas, starring Michael Douglas and Robert DeNiro. [Deadline]
• Helena Bonham Carter and Kathy Bates have joined The Young and Prodigious Spivet, an English-language coming-of-age road film from Amélie director Jean-Pierre Jeunet, about a precocious 12-year-old boy (Kyle Catlett) en route from Montana to the Smithsonian Museum. Jeunet cowrote the script with regular collaborator Guillaume Laurant. [Variety]
• Larry David is in talks to star and Greg Mottola (Superbad) is in talks to direct an untitled comedy. Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm scribes Alec Berg, David Mandel, and Jeff Schaffer penned the screenplay, but the film will reportedly be partially improvised. [THR]
Check out project news for Anthony Hopkins, Annette Bening, Kate Beckinsale, Nick Nolte, Jane Fonda, Joel Edgerton, John Cusack, Max Greenfield below: READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- Winners and losers of Summer 2014
- 30 Days of Binge: Take our tips to dive into 'Lost'; a 2014 hit you missed; or a TV classic that passed you by
- 'Agents of SHIELD': First 30-second glimpse of season 2
- Angelina Jolie-Brad Pitt wedding photos debut in People
- EW's 2014 Summer Movie Awards
- Jennifer Lawrence nude pics: FBI issues statement
- 'Hullabaloo': Will fans of hand-drawn animation art fund this indie short?
- 'Unauthorized Saved by the Bell Story': 100 things that happened (maybe?)
- 100 things that apparently happened, as told by 'The Unauthorized Saved…
- Internet grinds to halt as nude pics of Jennifer Lawrence, others surface
- FBI issues statement on leaked nude photos of Jennifer Lawrence, others
- CeeLo Green tweets that only women who 'remember' can be raped (Updated)
- EW's 2014 Summer Movie Awards