• Tom Cruise and director Doug Liman are reportedly courting Jack Nicholson for the Warner Bros. comedy El Presidente, about a by-the-books secret service agent assigned to protect “America’s worst former President” who boozes and womanizes with abandon. Nicholson would play the part of the President, a VP who assumed the Commander-in-Chief’s job after the President died. According to the report, the project has been in development since 2010 — originally with Jay Roach in the director’s chair. Nicholson and Cruise appeared together previously in 1992′s A Few Good Men, which earned Nicholson a Best Supporting Actor nomination. The three-time Oscar winner has not appeared in a movie since 2010′s How Do You Know. [THR]
Tag: John Leguizamo (1-3 of 3)
• Tyler Perry will star in (as well as write, produce, and direct) Single Mom’s Club, about a group of single mothers who come together after an episode at their local school. No word on what Perry’s role would be, but hopefully it does not involve hunting ruthless assassins a la this weekend’s Alex Cross — that would just be weird. Lionsgate is in final talks to distribute. [Variety]
• Amy Adams is attached to play legendary rocker Janis Joplin in the biopic Janis Joplin: Get It While You Can, which Lee Daniels is in negotiations to direct. First time feature screenwriters Ron Terry (who is also producing) and Theresa Kounin-Terry penned the script. [THR]
• Tom Hardy is attached to an untitled drama about an ex-special forces soldier who tries to stop illegal poaching in Zimbabwe. Sheldon Turner (Up in the Air) is penning the script, with Hardy, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Tobey Maguire among the producers. The trio of actors is also keen on a separate film that also tackles the poaching industry from a Traffic-like ensemble perspective, but no writer is yet set for that project. [Deadline]
• John Leguizamo is in talks to costar with Ice Cube and Kevin Hart in Ride Along, a comedy about a teacher who accompanies a cop — who is also his fiancée’s brother — on a day’s patrol. Leguizamo would play an undercover police officer. Tim Story (Think Like a Man) is directing. [Variety]
Casting Net: Christoph Waltz will play Gorbachev to Michael Douglas’s Reagan. Plus: Jim Carrey, Mike Epps, Jai Courtney
Casting Net: Ewan McGregor to star in heist thriller ‘Son of a Gun.’ Plus: Penelope Cruz, Ryan Reynolds, James Franco
Casting Net: Julianne Moore going ‘Non Stop’ with Liam Neeson. Plus: Chris Hemsworth, Jamie Foxx, Michelle Williams
Casting Net: Hugh Jackman keen on MLK Jr. conspiracy drama. Plus: Selena Gomez, James Franco, Diane Lane
• James Franco will face off against Jason Statham in Homefront, a thriller written by (but not starring) Sylvester Stallone about a former DEA agent (Statham) who finds himself battling the head of a meth cartel in his new small town (Franco). Gary Fleder (Runaway Jury) is directing. Doleful beat poetry is mostly likely not involved. [Variety]
• Selena Gomez will star with Nat Wolff (The Naked Brothers Band) and Austin Stowell (The Secret Life of the American Teenager) in the comedy Parental Guidance Suggested. Based on the Ric Browde novel While I’m Dead, Feed the Dog, the story follows a teenage kid (Wolff) who ends up on a raucous, music-related adventure that involves his high school crush (Gomez). Director Tim Garrick also wrote the screenplay. Dylan McDermott and Cary Elwes costar. [THR]
• Diane Lane will star in Every Secret Thing, the feature debut of documentary filmmaker Amy Berg (Deliver Us From Evil, West of Memphis). Based on the Laura Lippman novel, the story follows two 18-year-old girls recently released from prison for killing a baby when they were 11. Lane will play one of the girls’ mothers. Nicole Holofcener (Please Give) penned the script. [Variety]
• John Leguizamo has signed up for supporting roles in two wildly different movies. In Kick-Ass 2, he’ll play a protective henchman for Christopher Mintz-Plasse‘s nefarious Red Mist (who refashions his persona into an unprintable new villain). Meanwhile, in Ridley Scott‘s drug world thriller The Counselor, Leguizamo will play a low-level dealer. [Deadline]
• Luke Wilson is nearing a deal to star in Million Dollar Man, an indie comedy about a soda delivery driver who finds himself with the unlikely chance of becoming a kicker for the NFL. Scott Marshall (Keeping Up with the Steins) is directing from a script by producer Alex Schrader. [Variety]
• Demian Bichir (Savages, A Better Life) has joined the Sandra Bullock/Melissa McCarthy cop comedy The Heat, playing an F.B.I. agent. Paul Feig (Bridesmaids) is directing. [Deadline]
• Josh Gad (Broadway’s Book of Mormon) will costar in The Internship opposite Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson, as a misanthropic engineer employed at the tech firm that have just hired Vaughn and Wilson’s characters as newbie interns. Shawn Levy is directing from Vaughn’s script. [Deadline]
Casting Net: Emma Stone attached to Cameron Crowe romance. Plus: Russell Brand, Taylor Kitsch, Bill Murray
Casting Net: Alex Pettyfer to run off with Kristen Stewart in ‘Cali.’ Plus: Jason Schwartzman, Paul Giamatti
Casting Net: Denzel Washington to play ‘The Equalizer.’ Plus: Jon Favreau, Jay Baruchel, Liev Schreiber
- 'Frozen' is weekend's No. 1 movie: $31.6M
- 'SNL' recap: 'Anchorman 2' and the boys
- Kennedy Center Honors: D.C. salutes five artists
- 'Amazing Race' preview: Phil Keoghan's photos
- 'Family Guy': What's next for Brian?
- 'Bonnie & Clyde': Nico Vega goes 'Bang Bang'
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' lingerie line in Sweden
- 'Fifty Shades': Who'll dress Christian, Anastasia?
- Paul Rudd and One Direction take on 'Saturday Night Live': Talk about it here!
- 'SNL' recap: Paul Rudd brings a parade of surprise guest stars -- VIDEO
- 10 Best TV Shows of '13: Melissa Maerz's Picks
- Disney's 'Frozen' soundtrack: Ranking all nine original songs
- 10 Best TV Shows of '13: Doc Jensen's Picks