• Oscar-winner Dustin Hoffman (Rain Man) and Golden Globe-winner Steve Buscemi (Boardwalk Empire) are set to join Adam Sandler in The Cobbler. Plot details are being kept secret, but The Cobbler is the brainchild of Win Win and The Station Agent writer-director Thomas McCarthy. [The Wrap]
Tag: June Diane Raphael (1-5 of 5)
• Brie Larson, who has had a breakout year with leading and supporting roles in Short Term 12, The Spectacular Now, and Don Jon, is in talks to join Mark Wahlberg in the remake of The Gambler, the 1974 James Caan starrer that was loosely inspired by a the Dostoyevsky novella. It’s still very early in the process, but Larson would take on the role of a student who Wahlberg’s Jim Bennett, a literature professor, is in love with. Rupert Wyatt, who worked with Wahlberg on Rise of the Planet of the Apes, is set to direct. Oscar winner William Monahan (The Departed) is penning the script. [Deadline]
READ FULL STORY
No one wants to run into the mean kid from childhood as an adult. Especially if that mean kid is now a mean adult.
For best friends Kate (Burning Love’s June Diane Raphael) and Chloe (Happy Endings’ Casey Wilson), that person is Laurel. Played with a vicious coolness by Alicia Silverstone, Laurel is a former beauty queen who eviscerated a younger Kate and Chloe at pageants. “I love the way the two of you aren’t embarrassed about where you are in life,” she says to Kate and Chloe.
But, these two don’t seem easily dismayed and accept the opportunity to go back to their old pageant stomping grounds for another chance to compete at the anniversary show. And the girls hit the road with a killer soundtrack, some fabulous hats, and an optimism that we haven’t seen since Romy and Michele went to their high school reunion. Written by Wilson and Raphael, first trailer for Ass Backwards looks like silly fun. There’s even a pantless scene.
'Ass Backwards': Casey Wilson and June Diane Raphael on their 'DIY dream project' -- POSTER PREMIERE
When Casey Wilson (Happy Endings) and June Diane Raphael (Burning Love) set out to dress in their beauty pageant finest for the poster for their movie, Ass Backwards, they didn’t have to look far to find the right outfits.
“We took to the streets — and by the streets we mean a downtown LA quinceanera shop — to procure the best dresses I have ever seen,” Raphael tells EW. “The look we were kind of going for is like crazy Toddlers and Tiaras-type little girl dresses, and you know, luckily for us those are also quinceanera dresses, they are one in the same.”
The co-writers and co-stars added their own special touches to the dresses. “June went crazy at a Michael’s fabric store to kind of beadazzle and jazz them up, so it’s basically our DIY dream project,” Wilson adds.
The film, which opens November 8, premiered at a midnight showing at Sundance earlier this year. It follows the story of two best friends who ditch the city and road trip back to their hometown to try to win the beauty pageant they lost as kids.
Check out the full poster for the film below.
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Arrow' shocker: Talk about 'Seeing Red'
- Meg Ryan joins 'How I Met Your Dad' as narrator
- 'John From Cincinnati': Why not ready for Prime time?
- 'Jurassic World' First Look: 3 new photos
- TV clip shows: 5 all-time standouts
- 'Mean Girls' star comes out in letter to his character
- 'Orange Is the New Black': Watch how season 2 starts
- 'Orange Is the New Black' is on the new EW cover
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show' 651
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'There isn't a single episode of television I've written that I don't wish I could get back and do again' 494
- Slaves to Love 464
- The Man Who Could Not Stand Still 508
- Facebook campaign asks for crew boycott as 'Midnight Rider' production resumes 381
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'I feel like I'm just now starting to learn how to write it' -- LISTEN
- 'Friends' creators Marta Kauffman and David Crane look back at the finale -- and why they won't do a reunion show
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show'
- HBO makes huge Amazon Prime deal: See which shows are going online
- 'Jurassic World': See the first images from the set of next summer's dinosaur flick -- EXCLUSIVE