A few years ago, I wrote a post ardently pleading for the come- back of the concert film. I argued that if squeaky-clean teeny-bop singers-as-products like Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers could top the list of the five highest-grossing concert movies of all time (adjusted for inflation, the top film on that list would still be Woodstock), then surely an artist like, say, Lady Gaga might blast those same box-office records to smithereens. More to the point, a concert movie actually aimed at people over the age of fourteen might now have a chance to make a cultural splash. And so I said: Bring back the concert film! I swear it will work! READ FULL STORY
Tag: Katy Perry: Part of Me (1-3 of 3)
That’s a lot of cash caught in Spidey’s web!
Sony’s $220 million reboot The Amazing Spider-Man debuted atop the box office with $65 million over its first weekend and a big $140 million in its first six days. The 3-D blockbuster played in 4,138 theaters and earned a $15,708 per theater average over the Friday-to-Sunday period. Of that $140 million, $14.3 million came from IMAX screens. Worldwide, the tentpole has already earned $341.2 million after two weekends of international release. READ FULL STORY
The $220 million web-slinging adventure netted an estimated $20.7 million on Friday, which lifts its four-day total to $95.7 million. The Andrew Garfield/Emma Stone feature is headed for a weekend in the $65 million range, which would lift its six-day total to $140 million. Sure, that total is less than the $151.1 million that Spider-Man 3 earned in its first three days, but it’s a very strong start for a reboot. Batman Begins started with a humble $48.7 million, while X-Men: First Class zapped up $55.1 million during its opening weekend. Sony should be breathing a sigh of relief. READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Manhattan Love Story' is first fall show to be canceled
- 'Constantine' series premiere; 'Amazing Race'; more TV recaps
- Monica Potter describes her perfect 'Parenthood' ending
- 'Justified' season 6 teaser welcomes Raylan back for his farewell season
- Benedict Cumberbatch tries to walk like Beyonce; let the memes begin...
- ’Supernatural,' 'Once Upon a Time,' 'Newsroom,' more fresh TV spoilers
- 'Once Upon a Time': Lana Parrilla and Jennifer Morrison preview SwanQueen episode
- Brad Pitt talks 'Fury' (or is that 'Furry'?) on 'Between Two Ferns'