• Peter Fonda is set to play Nicolas Cage‘s father in The Runner, a political drama about a New Orleans congressman whose career is in turmoil following a sex scandal and the 2010 BP oil spill. Connie Nielsen (Gladiator) has also boarded the project as Cage’s character’s wife, while The Wire‘s Wendell Piece will play his chief of staff. Indie producer Austin Stark (Infinitely Polar Bear) wrote and will direct the pic. [THR] READ FULL STORY
Tag: Ken Jeong (1-3 of 3)
• Noomi Rapace (Prometheus) is in talks to star opposite Will Smith in the sci-fi thriller Brilliance. The Marcus Sakey adaptation imagines a world where 1 percent of humans (the brilliants) are born with supernatural powers. Federal agent Nick Cooper (Smith) is a 1 percenter who specialized in hunting terrorists. He meets his match in a fellow brilliant intent on starting a civil war. Rapace will play yet another of these special beings who the government also determines is a terrorist. Julius Onah (The Girl Is in Trouble) is set to direct. [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Julianne Moore going 'Non Stop' with Liam Neeson. Plus: Chris Hemsworth, Jamie Foxx, Michelle Williams
• Chris Hemsworth has been offered the lead role in American Assassin, based on Vince Flynn’s novel series about Mitch Rapp, a troubled man who hunts terrorists for the CIA. Bruce Willis is also negotiating to play Rapp’s trainer. Jeffrey Nachmanoff (Showtime’s Homeland) will direct from a script by Michael Finch (Predators), and Ed Zwick and Marshall Herskovitz (The Last Samurai). [Deadline]
• Jamie Foxx will star in After Prom, a comedy about high school buddies facing the rite of passage of watching their own kids go to their high school prom. Ken Jeong penned the script, and, as it happens, the Community and The Hangover actor will star opposite Kevin Hart in Foxx’s feature writing-and-directing debut, the basketball comedy All-Star, about two buddies, one a die-hard Kobe Bryant fan, the other a die-hard LeBron James fan. [The L.A. Times]
• Michelle Williams is negotiating to star in the WWII period drama Suite Francaise, adapted from the celebrated Irene Nemirovsky novel about a Frenchwoman who falls in love with a German soldier. Saul Dibb (The Duchess) will write and direct. [Variety]
• Kevin Kline is attached to play legendary Hollywood actor Errol Flynn in the dark biopic The Last of Robin Hood, about the affair Flynn maintained with a 17-year-old aspiring actress at the end of his life. Susan Sarandon would play the actress’ mother. Richard Glatzer and Wash Westmoreland (Quinceanera) are writing and directing. [Variety]
• Uma Thurman is adding her name to the fascinatingly eclectic cast of writer-director Lars von Trier‘s latest cinematic provocation, the sexually-charged drama Nymphomaniac. She joins Charlotte Gainsbourg, Stellan Skarsgard, Shia LaBeouf, Jamie Bell, and Connie Nielsen. [Variety]
Casting Net: Ben Affleck coming into ‘Focus.’ Plus: Beyonce leaves ‘A Star is Born’
Casting Net: Anne Hathaway joins Mindy Kaling-penned comedy. Plus: Ron Perlman, Paul Dano
Casting Net: Kim Basinger joins Paul Haggis’ romantic drama ‘The Third Person.’ Plus: Patricia Clarkson, Katee Sackhoff
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Star Wars' trailer geek out: Secrets stuffed into those 88 seconds?
- 'Star Wars': 7 most important things we learned from first trailer
- 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' trailer is here
- Angelina Jolie's 'Unbroken' promise to tell Louis Zamperini's story: 'His life is so big'
- 'Real World' alum Ryan Knight dies at 29
- 'Once Upon a Time,' 'Sleepy Hollow,' 'Agents of SHIELD,' more fresh TV spoilers
- 'Walking Dead' costar Tyler James Williams talks reading for 'Star Wars,' why he's a 'Lannister'
- 'Once Upon a Time' preview: Storybrooke braces for the Spell of Shattered Sight