• Ben Foster (3:10 to Yuma) and Dominic Cooper (Captain America: The First Avenger) have signed on to star in Warcraft for Legendary Pictures, based on the bestselling video game World of Warcraft. Source Code and Moon helmer Duncan Jones is set to direct. Foster can be seen next with Mark Wahlberg in the Navy SEALs pic Lone Survivor (out Jan. 10, 2014) and Cooper’s next release finds him playing the bad guy to Aaron Paul’s street racer in Need for Speed (out March 14, 2014). [The Wrap]
Tag: Kevin Hart (1-10 of 17)
The Best Man Holiday, the R-rated sequel to 1999’s The Best Man, opened to $30.6 million this weekend, surprising box-office watchers who had predicted the $17 million film wouldn’t generate half of its ultimate take home. Yet to director Malcolm D. Lee, who wrote and produced the film along with its predecessor, the only surprise is how Hollywood hasn’t evolved its thinking toward films featuring black actors.
“I’m tired of the dismissive, marginalized way that movies starring African-American actors who don’t happen to be Will Smith or Denzel Washington or Kevin Hart, [are talked about when they] perform well at the box office,” Lee says. “Tyler Perry makes a movie and it’s number one almost every time. Think Like a Man was number one two weeks in a row. People talk about [Best Man Holiday] over-performing, but I feel like we got under-estimated.”
The majority of the audience for Best Man Holiday (87 percent) was African-American females, 90 percent of whom saw the original film. More important, the sequel generated an A+ with exit pollster Cinemascore indicating that the film should broaden out to a wider audience.
Lee is counting on it.
READ FULL STORY
Ride Along, an upcoming buddy comedy from Universal, pairs Kevin Hart’s jittery, fast-talking security guard Ben with Ice Cube’s glowering, tough-as-nails cop James. (So much for effing tha police.)
The premise: Ben is dating Angela (Tika Sumpter, late of Gossip Girl). James, Angela’s overly protective older brother, doesn’t approve of the union — specifically, because Ben is both a “clown” and a “little man-Smurf.” When Ben tells James that he’s planning to propose, the cop asks Ben to prove his worth by coming with him on a ride-along. Think Training Day minus drama, plus Kevin Hart being thrust into a wall by a gun’s recoil.
Casting Net: Liam Neeson in talks for 'Taken 3'; Plus, 'Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day' finds a lead, more
• Liam Neeson is reportedly in talks to star in a third installment of Taken, about the retired CIA agent who can’t seem to stay out of trouble. Luc Besson and Robert Mark Kamen are already at work on a script, but no director is currently attached. Pierre Morel directed the first installment, which brought in $145 million on an estimated $25 million budget. Olivier Megaton (Colombiana) stepped in to direct the second film, which made about $139.9 million with a $45 million production budget. Lost‘s Maggie Grace played Neeson’s daughter in both films. [Deadline]
• Disney has found its Alexander. Puberty Blues actor Ed Oxenbould will star as the title character in Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. Based on the classic Judith Viorst children’s book, Steve Carrell and Jennifer Garner are starring as Alexander’s parents. Production is slated to begin on the project in August, with Miguel Arteta (Youth in Revolt) set to direct. [Deadline]
READ FULL STORY
• Owen Wilson is joining Jim Carrey in Relativity’s as-yet-untitled action heist comedy from Napoleon Dynamite director Jared Hess. The story focuses on an armored car driver who is pressured into helping steal $20 million and then left high and dry in Mexico. The driver is determined to get even. Lorne Michaels and John Goldwyn are producing. [Deadline]
• More in untitled news — Josh Gad (Book of Mormon) and Kevin Hart (Think Like a Man) will co-star in a romantic comedy from Screen Gems and Miramax about a best man-for-hire (Hart) who covers for the socially awkward (shocker!) Gad by providing a best man and a set of groomsmen for his nuptials. [THR]
• Producer Jason Blum already has the biggest movie out this week (The Purge) and just announced its sequel is in the works. But next up is the thriller Stretch and funnyman Ed Helms is in talks take a turn away from comedy by joining the cast of the film about a limo driver (Patrick Wilson) with a passenger from hell, played by Chris Pine. [THR]
• And finally, another announcement in the ongoing Veronica Mars saga. Series creator Rob Thomas announced in an email sent to Kickstarter backers Monday that Francis Capra will come back to play Eli “Weevil” Navarro in the film reboot of the cult TV show. “Playing a wrong-side-of-the-tracks-kid in a town full of privileged peers, Francis found a terrific — and difficult — balance between tough and soulful. I couldn’t be happier that he’ll be back with us for the film,” Thomas wrote.
Thomas also shared the video below from Capra:
Casting Net: Sofia Vergara, Reese Witherspoon to star in ‘Don’t Mess With Texas’
Casting Net: Denzel Washington to play futuristic contract killer-turned-protector
Casting Net: Carey Mulligan is front-runner to play Hillary Rodham Clinton
Funnyman Kevin Hart began a successful round of stand-up comedy tours in 2009. His latest tour was captured on camera for the documentary Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain. The teaser trailer and first poster for the film were released online Friday.
The brief preview boasts more sincerity than comedy, as Hart tells us in voiceover why making people laugh is his passion. Beyond that, it just gives us a few glimpses of the crowd in New York’s Madison Square Garden and the back of Hart as he approaches the microphone. Check out the teaser below: READ FULL STORY
Only 364 days until it’s Valentine’s Day again!! However will we pass the time?
By watching the trailer for this upcoming remake of About Last Night over and over again, of course. The original 1986 film — the title of which ended with an ellipsis that’s been nixed for the new version — starred Rob Lowe, Demi Moore, Jim Belushi, and Elizabeth Perkins as four singles in Chicago who became two couples in Chicago. In the 2014 version, Kevin Hart and Regina Hall step in for Belushi and Perkins, while Michael Early and Joy Bryant take the places of Lowe and Moore. The trailer’s been approved for mature audiences only, but on the whole, it’s pretty tame — give or take one swear word and an ill-advised bathroom hookup.
Liam Neeson is in talks to star in the crime thriller The All Nighter (previously titled Run All Night). Per The Wrap, the story follows an aging hit man who, in order to protect his family, must take on his former boss in one night. Neeson was last seen in Taken 2. [The Wrap]
Bruce McGill (Lincoln, TV’s Rizolli and Isles) has joined Ice Cube and Kevin Hart in the cast of Tim Story’s action comedy Ride Along. [Hollywood Reporter]
Casting Net: Kelsey Grammer, Kyra Sedgwick join ensemble of ‘Reach Me.’ Plus: Will Arnett, Katherine Heigl plan ‘The Nut Job’
Casting Net: Sean Penn eyeing thriller ‘Prone Gunman.’ Plus: John Hawkes, George Clooney, Ty Burrell
Casting Net: James McAvoy in talks for WikiLeaks movie. Plus: Jennifer Jason Leigh, Sara Canning
Kevin Hart is ready — and I mean bursting at the seams — to be a sex symbol, and he may get his wish in the remake of About Last Night.
The ever-energetic comic gushed to EW recently while filming on the downtown Los Angeles set of his movie, which modernizes the 1986 original starring Rob Lowe and Demi Moore, based on the David Mamet play. Hart plays Bernie, a sidekick role inhabited by James Belushi in the original, who is friends with lead heartthrob Michael Ealy. Joy Bryant also stars, and Regina Hall plays Hart’s hot-cold love interest. The movie’s now in post-production.
“Being a comedian, I’m very clean cut in the roles that I’ve had thus far. This was actually a role that gave me an opportunity to be a little different,” Hart told EW. “I’m filthy, filthy to the point where my language is unacceptable, my opinion is very, I guess you could say, I’m outspoken, but about the wrong topics, … and I have sex in this movie, which is great! I’ve never had sex in a film. And the fact that I’m having sex is going to make me a sex symbol. I see it all. This is a big thing for me. … Ladies, you get to see my side profile!”
Check out our video interview with Hart, below!
READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Kevin Hart signs on to Brat Pack remake 'About Last Night.' Plus: Freida Pinto, Cloris Leachman, Jackie Chan
• Photos from the set of writer-director Terrence Malick‘s Knight of Cups have revealed that Slumdog Millionaire‘s Freida Pinto has joined the cast, seemingly as a love interest for star Christian Bale. Cate Blanchett, Natalie Portman, Wes Bentley, Isabel Lucas, and Imogen Poots costar. [IndieWire/The Playlist]
• Cloris Leachman has joined Raging Bull II, the bizarre prequel/sequel to Martin Scorsese’s 1980 classic about real-life boxer Jake LaMotta for which neither Scorsese nor Oscar-winning star Robert DeNiro have any involvement. Instead, William Forsythe plays the aged LaMotta after the events of the earlier film, and Mojean Aria plays the younger LaMotta before the events of the earlier film. Joe Montegna, Paul Sorvino, Penelope Ann Miller, and Natasha Henstridge costar, and Martin Guigui, co-writer and co-producer of Oy Vey! My Son Is Gay!, is directing. Can’t. Wait. [Deadline]
• Jackie Chan will star in and produce an untitled English-language action comedy about a Chinese detective seeking an American who owes a debt to a Macau casino. [THR]
Casting Net: Will Arnett to play Batman…in Lego form. Plus: James Woods, Catherine Keener, James Marsden
Casting Net: Angela Bassett, Aaron Eckhart join ‘Olympus Has Fallen.’ Plus: Derek Luke, Ron Livingston, Kristen Schaal
Casting Net: Colin Firth, Cate Blanchett attached to Barbra Streisand-directed drama. Plus: Charlie Sheen, Reese Witherspoon, Maya Rudolph
- 'The Voice' recap: Sleepy semifinal
- 15 blasts from the past in '13: Winners/losers
- Eleanor Parker, 'Sound of Music' baroness, dies
- 'Community' season 5: First trailer is here!
- 'Fifty Shades' pic: Anastasia kisses Christian
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' role for Callum Keith Rennie
- 'Mentalist': A (SPOILER!) for Lisbon?
- Britney's 'Chaotic' revisited: 5 cringeworthy clips