In a summer chock full of sequels, threequels, and all the other iterations of successful franchises refusing to leave money on the table, we almost forgot about the looming fifth installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean. Wednesday, news broke that the Oscar-nominated directing pair Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg were in final negotiations to helm Pirates of the Caribbean 5, which is expected to begin shooting in January for a July 10, 2015 release. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Kon-Tiki (1-2 of 2)
The power and influence of foreign film has never been more apparent in recent memory when it comes to the Oscars than this year, with Michael Haneke’s beautifully frank French-language look at aging, Amour, being nominated for both best picture and best foreign language film, best director, best actress, and best original screenplay.
Other nominated movies announced Thursday morning in the best foreign language film category for the 85th annual Academy Awards, airing live on ABC Feb. 24, range from Norway’s watery expedition adventure Kon-Tiki to fellow Scandinavian country Denmark’s A Royal Affair, an 18th century set royals drama, to Chile’s NO, starring Gael Garcia Bernal, about the real-life “NO” TV ad campaign that aired during dictator Augusto Pinochet’s reign, and Canada’s War Witch, a French-language story about a teenage Congolese girl abducted by a rebel army to fight for their cause.
Austria’s Amour, with its multiple Oscar nominations and other awards season wins, has been touted as a clear frontrunner, but the category’s mix of tales based on real-life stories, political intrigue, and emotional relationships gives it some heft. Check out these reactions from the films’ directors, below:
READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- Ryan Murphy reveals an 'American Horror Story' secret: Seasons 'are all connected'
- 'Bad Judge,' 'A to Z' to be canceled by NBC
- 'Interstellar' review: Awe-fully sappy
- Billy Bob Thornton's 'Big Bang Theory' cameo: How it happened
- Halloween 2014: EW's favorite celebrity costumes
- 'Scandal,' 'Walking Dead, 'Blacklist,' more fresh TV spoilers
- Clive Barker is back from the dead--and his 'Nightbreed' is reborn
- 13 movie creeps: Harmless to horrifying