Inside Movies Breaking Movie News and Scoops | Movie Reviews

Tag: Lawsuits (1-10 of 18)

'Office Space' lawsuit: Actor fights Fox over 'flair'

OFFICE-SPACE-DUFFEY.jpg

Looks like somebody’s about to have a case of the Mondays. Todd Duffey, who played Chotchkie’s waiter Brian in the 1999 comedy Office Space, just lost a lawsuit against 20th Century Fox Film over the use of his face in merchandise.

The piece in question is part of a box set called the “Office Space Box of Flair“, which includes a 32-page book and 15 “flair” buttons, a reference to the pieces of flair that Jennifer Aniston’s character is required to wear by her boss at Chotchkie’s restaurant. Duffey claims they took the joke too far by putting his face on both the book’s cover and one of the buttons, which, according to Dufrey, under the Lanham Act would be a false endorsement violation. READ FULL STORY

'Wolf of Wall Street' hit with $25 million defamation suit

wolf-of-wall-street-05.jpg

Andrew Greene, who worked with notorious broker Jordan Belfort at Stratton Oakmont, is suing Paramount Pictures and the producers of The Wolf of Wall Street, including Leonardo DiCaprio’s production company Appian Way, for $25 million because he claims the Oscar-nominated film defames his reputation. In the film, actor P.J. Byrne plays Nicky “Rugrat” Koskoff, a character with a ridiculous toupee that is portrayed as “a criminal, a drug user, and a degenerate” that Greene claims is falsely based on him.

In Belfort’s 2007 memoir, on which the film is based, Greene’s real name was used, but according to the lawsuit, Greene never gave the filmmakers his consent for his involvement in the film — perhaps explaining the character’s name change. Greene claims that he has been maliciously and willfully defamed “as a criminal and drug user with misogynistic tendencies. Mr. Greene is portrayed as an individual with no moral or ethical values, which is injurious to him in his trade, business, or profession.” READ FULL STORY

Lynne Ramsay denies receiving 'Jane Got a Gun' lawsuit

Last week, word broke that the producers of Jane Got a Gun — the troubled Western that stars Natalie Portman as a vengeful gunslinger — were suing the project’s original director, Lynne Ramsay, for breach of contract. The suit alleges that Ramsay accepted $500,000 of her $800,000 salary before she failed to show up for the film’s first day of production; additionally, it claims, Ramsay “was repeatedly under the influence of alcohol, was abusive to members of the cast and crew, and was generally disruptive.”

Now Ramsay has fired back, denying both the allegations made in the suit and the fact that she’s received the suit in the first place. “Lynne Ramsay has not been served with this lawsuit and, when she is, she will respond in court and not in the media,” a rep for the director said in a statement released Saturday and obtained by EW. “That said, the allegations as recently reported are simply false. Lynne looks forward to presenting the truth about this situation in the proper forum.”

After several false starts and a revolving door of big-name actors — Michael Fassbender, Jude Law, and Bradley Cooper each signed on for and subsequently dropped out of a role that eventually went to Ewan McGregor — Jane Got a Gun finally began shooting in New Mexico last spring. Ramsay left the film in March; she was replaced by Warrior helmer Gavin O’Connor.

Producer says 'Trouble With the Curve' was his idea, files lawsuit against Warner Bros.

against-the-curve.jpg

Earlier today, Ryan Brooks and Gold Glove Productions filed a lawsuit at the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California claiming that the concept for Warner Bros.’ 2012 film Trouble With the Curve was stolen from three of the production company’s copyrighted scripts as well as a concept reel.

The lawsuit alleges that the script for Trouble With the Curve, which was credited to Randy Brown, was originally for a film titled Omaha, written by Don Handfield. Both scripts focus on a father-daughter relationship in the middle of a baseball story, and now, it’s being alleged that he was involved in changing the script into what would become Trouble With the Curve, before Brown’s name was stamped on the work.

The lawsuit claims, “Don Handfield’s writing style, tics, and persona are like fingerprints and DNA all over Trouble With the Curve, which steals the very story noted above from Omaha, including aspects from notes by Handfield and Brooks when they worked together on Omaha and earlier treatments of Omaha (when entitled Run Down).” It continues: “In short, Don Handfield helped write the original, copyrighted work Omaha for Plaintiff Gold Glove Productions as a requested work-for-hire but had a falling out with its founder and creator of that project, college baseball standout, Plaintiff Brooks. Thus, Don Handfield switched the setting, adjusted the trimmings, and gave birth to an infringing counterfeit version of the same story.”
READ FULL STORY

'Dumb and Dumber' lawsuits get ugly. (Pets' heads not yet falling off, though.)

Two producers of the original Dumb and Dumber who are being sued to be kept off the upcoming sequel responded with a legal cross-complaint of their own against Red Granite Pictures. Earlier this month, Red Granite filed suit to exclude Brad Krevoy and Steve Stabler from Dumb and Dumber To, the sequel Red Granite is making with Universal, claiming the duo no longer had any contractual rights to the project after it was dropped by Warner Bros. and New Line in June. READ FULL STORY

'Dumb and Dumber' sequel producers sue to protect rights from original producers

In a move that Harry Dunne and Lloyd Christmas would hardly understand, producers of Dumb and Dumber To — the undead follow-up to 1994′s Dumb and Dumber — have filed court documents to keep producers of the original film away from their sequel.

EW has confirmed that Red Granite Pictures, a company run by Riza Aziz and Joey McFarland, is seeking to exclude Brad Krevoy and Steve Stabler from any involvement in their upcoming film. Krevoy and Stabler were among Dumb and Dumber‘s 11 producers.

Red Granite claims that Krevoy and Stabler have no contractual right to be involved in any Dumb and Dumber remake or sequel because its current deal with Universal nullifies any deals still in place when Warner Bros. was hosting the project. (Warner Bros. dropped the sequel in June; Universal picked it up days later.)
READ FULL STORY

'Twilight' parodists sue Lionsgate and Summit for $500 million. Do they have a case?

Twiharder.jpg

A clan of faux-fiends is plotting to suck Lionsgate and Summit Entertainment dry.

Behind the Lines Productions, the company behind a Twilight parody called Twiharder, has filed a $500 million suit against the makers of the Twilight films. In a 219-page complaint obtained by EW, the parodists write that they were planning to release their film last fall — around the same time that The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn — Part 2 hit theaters.  A trailer for the movie was posted to YouTube last June:

READ FULL STORY

J.R.R. Tolkien estate suing Warner Bros. for 'Lord of the Rings' casino games, digital merchandise

Forget orcs. The most fearsome creatures in the Tolkien universe may be lawyers.

The estate of author J.R.R. Tolkien, the man who brought forth all things Middle Earth with the magic tucked inside his pen, has filed suit against Warner Bros., New Line, and the Saul Zaentz Company for copyright infringement and breach of contract, alleging that the studio had gone far beyond the “limited” merchandising rights it holds for The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. When the estate sold the film rights to those Tolkien books in 1969, the suit alleges, it only allowed for “the manufacture, sale and distribution of … any and all articles of tangible personal property,” but the suit claims the defendants have “with increasing boldness, engaged in a continuing and escalating pattern of usurping rights to which they are not entitled.”  READ FULL STORY

Warner Bros. defeats heirs of 'Superman' co-creator in latest legal battle

Action-Comics

Almost 75 years after Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster created Superman, the battle for ownership of the Last Son of Krypton has become an expensive and much-disputed industry unto itself. Four years ago, Siegel’s heirs won a major victory when a judge granted them half of the Superman copyright, at least regarding how Superman appeared in Action Comics #1. As reported by the LA Times, however, Shuster’s heirs have not been so lucky: Yesterday, a federal judge ruled that the family of the co-creator could not reclaim a similar 50% stake in the copyright. READ FULL STORY

Martin Scorsese responds to 'meritless' lawsuit

Reps for Martin Scorsese called the  lawsuit filed against the director — which claims breach of written contract, intentional misrepresentation, and negligent misrepresentation around the filming of the movie Silence –  a “meritless action” and believe it has “all the earmarks of a media stunt.”

Below is Scorsese’s full statement in response to the filing:

READ FULL STORY

Latest Videos in Movies

Advertisement

TV Recaps

Powered by WordPress.com VIP