• Tron: Legacy star Garrett Hedlund is set to time travel to World War II for Universal’s adaptation of Laura Hillenbrand’s Unbroken, about Olympian and prisoner of war Lou Zamperini and his incredible story of survival. Angelina Jolie is directing the adaptation, which stars Jack O’Connell in the lead role. Hedlund will play a fellow POW in the Japanese camp where Zamperini ends up after surviving on a raft in the Pacific for 28 days. Joel and Ethan Coen, who directed Hedlund in Inside Llewyn Davis, are the latest writers tasked with revising the script which has also passed by the desks of William Nicholson (Gladiator) and Richard LaGravenese (Behind the Candelabra). Unbroken will hit theaters on Dec. 25, 2014. [Variety]
Tag: Leighton Meester (1-3 of 3)
• Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty) is reportedly in talks to join Christopher Nolan’s (The Dark Knight Rises) time-travel epic, Interstellar. She’d be joining a cast that currently includes Oscar-winner Anne Hathaway and Matthew McConaughey. Since she’s started getting more significant roles, Chastain has never really ventured into pure science fiction territory (we’re not counting Take Shelter). She famously dropped out of Oblivion when offered the Zero Dark Thirty role, so we’re excited for her to take on a new kind of film. The two-time Oscar nominee (The Help, Zero Dark Thirty) is currently filming Liv Ullmann’s adaptation of Miss Julie and will soon start work on Guillermo del Toro’s Crimson Peak. [Deadline]
• Ethan Hawke (Before Sunset) has signed on to join Neil LaBute’s (Possession) thriller The Geography of Hope. The film will tell the story of two crooks (Hawke and Ed Harris) in the 1970s who are hiding out in Baja after messing up a job. They find two women to keep them interested while they’re in hiding, but eventually things get complicated. Vera Farmiga (Bates Motel) and Emmanuelle Devos (Coco Before Chanel) star as the women. [Screen Daily]
Casting Net: Zoe Saldana in talks for 'Guardians of the Galaxy'; Plus, Brad Pitt, Nicholas Hoult, Leighton Meester, more
• It’s looking like Zoe Saldana will join another intergalactic franchise. The Avatar and Star Trek actress is in talks to play the female lead in Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy. She would join a cast that already features Chris Pratt (Zero Dark Thirty) and mixed martial artist Dave Bautista. Saldana is in negotiations to play Gamora, who, in the comic books, is the sole survivor of her humanoid race, the Zen Whoberi. She’s known as “the deadliest woman in the whole galaxy.” Also of note: Gamora has a stint in the comic books as a minion and adopted daughter of sorts of Thanos — that purple-skinned alien which the closing credits of The Avengers seemed to set up as our heroes’ next arch-rival. Perhaps this is further reason to hope for some more franchise cross-overs in Marvel’s future? [THR] READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- Lena Dunham hosts 'SNL': 'Girls' night
- '24: Live Another Day' teaser: Jack vs. assassin
- Oscars: What it's like to go with Jennifer Lawrence
- 'Walking Dead': Lauren Cohan on Maggie and Glenn
- 'True Detective': Fun fan sites
- 'Supernatural' spinoff gets new title
- 'Reign': What did 'uncensored' sex scenes add?
- 'Bachelor': Clare and Juan Pablo find wedding song?
- Fox renews 'Mindy Project,' 'The Following,' more
- Jennifer Lawrence's best friend wrote a behind-the-scenes account of Oscars night
- Lena Dunham hosts 'Saturday Night Live' this weekend: Talk about it here!
- Box office update: '300: Rise of an Empire' obliterates competition with a $17.7 million Friday
- Second time around: TV stars who reprised iconic roles