Inside Movies Breaking Movie News and Scoops | Movie Reviews

Tag: Lucasfilm (1-10 of 16)

Watch the first trailer for Lucasfilm's 'Strange Magic'

While fans may have to hold out more than a year for the next Star Wars film, Lucasfilm’s animated project Strange Magic is a much shorter wait away. And now, the first trailer is here, meaning we finally get to see what Alan Cumming would look like as a singing bug.

READ FULL STORY

Lucasfilm's 'Strange Magic' due out in 2015

An animated musical inspired by A Midsummer Night’s Dream with a story from George Lucas is headed to theaters this coming January, Disney announced Tuesday.  READ FULL STORY

'Godzilla's' Gareth Edwards to direct untitled 'Star Wars' spinoff

Gareth Edwards, whose Godzilla just enjoyed a monster box office debut, has been tapped to direct a Star Wars film for Disney and Lucasfilm.

The untitled pic will be a stand-alone in the Star Wars universe and has been dated for a Dec. 16, 2016, 3-D release. According to The Hollywood Reporter, which first reported the news, Gary Whitta (The Book of Eli) has been tasked with writing the script, but no details are available on what exactly this movie will be about. READ FULL STORY

Disney CEO teases 'Star Wars' details, says more 'Cars' and 'Incredibles' in the works

A few hours ago Tuesday in a galaxy that looks a lot like Portland, Disney CEO and chairman Bob Iger told shareholders that Star Wars: Episode VII would take place 30 years after Return of the Jedi — one of the more specific nuggets of info that we’ve been treated to about the secretive project, which is supposed to start production in May.

Also, amid feverish casting speculations in various stages of negotiations ranging from Lupita Nyong’o to Adam Driver, Iger teased that, “there will be some very familiar faces along with a trio of new young leads.” He also joked that only one actor had been cast in the film so far: R2-D2.

READ FULL STORY

Disney acquires rights for future 'Indiana Jones' films

First Star Wars, now Indiana Jones? The Walt Disney Studios announced Friday that it has reached a marketing and distribution agreement with Paramount Pictures for future Indiana Jones films, meaning George Lucas’ two iconic franchises are now firmly in Disney’s hands.

Of course, Disney has owned Indiana Jones production rights since 2012, when the studio acquired LucasFilm. Until now, though, Paramount possessed marketing and distribution rights. Those now belong to Disney, making the process of making and releasing future Indiana Jones films much easier — not to mention more likely. In return for the rights, Paramount will receive “financial participation on any future films.” In other words, the studio will still get an undisclosed cut of the business. Paramount will retain distribution rights for the first four films in the series.

Disney did not reveal plans for any new Indiana Jones installments — and inside sources say not to expect any such announcements in the immediate future. Still, the move is a clear bid to start putting additional whip-cracking archaeology adventures into motion. The question now is whether Harrison Ford, 71, will still be the star, or if Disney plans on rebooting the franchise altogether. Commence your speculation now!

Disney confirms production on 'Star Wars' spinoffs

boba-fett-1.jpg?w=510&h=326

Walt Disney CEO and owner-of-your-childhood Bob Iger talked to CNBC today and revealed some intriguing, albeit semi-abstract, news about the company’s plans for the Star Wars franchise. “We are working on a few standalone films,” Iger said, explaining that the company is planning to produce an indeterminate number of spin-off films to run alongside Episodes VII, VIII, and IX. “[Lawrence] Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are both working on films derived from great Star Wars characters,” continued Iger. He also clarified that Kasdan and Kinberg are both working with director J.J. Abrams on Star Wars: Episode VII, which is being written by Toy Story 3‘s Michael Arndt. READ FULL STORY

Lucasfilm postpones 3-D release of 'Star Wars' prequels to focus on new film

Lucasfilm isn’t kidding in its aim to pour all of its efforts – every fiber of the Force, every ounce of Stormtrooper chutzpah – into its revival of the Star Wars franchise. It’s even pushing back scheduled 3-D re-releases of prequels Episode II: Attack of the Clones and Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.

“Lucasfilm has decided to postpone this fall’s scheduled release of Episodes II and III in 3D,” said the studio in a statement Monday to EW. “Given the recent development that we are moving forward with a new Star Wars trilogy we will now focus 100 percent of our efforts on Star Wars: Episode VII in order to ensure the best possible experience for our fans. We will post further information about our 3D release plans at a later date.”
READ FULL STORY

Mickey meets 'Star Wars': Walt Disney Co. completes acquisition of Lucasfilm

It’s official, and just in time for the holidays. Mickey Mouse will join forces with Obi-Wan, as Disney has completed its acquisition of Lucasfilm.

The Walt Disney Co. announced in a statement on Friday that the deal is done, spurring further joy and debate the world over for fans of Disney and Lucasfilm’s past and future Star Wars franchise.
READ FULL STORY

Disney/Lucasfilm deal okayed by Federal Trade Commission

The Walt Disney Company is one big step closer to formally purchasing Lucasfilm.

The Federal Trade Commission announced Tuesday that it has granted Disney an early termination of the statutory antitrust waiting period for all major company acquisitions. In plain terms, it means the government has determined there aren’t any lingering issues with Disney’s purchase of Lucasfilm, and the process of formally finishing the $4.05 billion deal can move forward.

As it happens, Disney also announced today that it just signed an exclusive agreement with Netflix for the VOD rights to all of its various theatrical releases, which included Pixar and Marvel films — but not Lucasfilm movies (e.g. Star Wars movies), since the deal has not been completed.

Read more:
‘Star Wars’ producer Rick McCallum officially leaving Lucasfilm
George Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy talk about the future of ‘Star Wars’
George Lucas talks post-‘Star Wars’ plans

Q&A: Francis Ford Coppola on George Lucas, an 'ambitious' new movie, and his five-film box set

Francis-Ford-Coppola_510x317.jpg

Francis Ford Coppola is ready for a big picture comeback.

The Oscar-winning filmmaker, now 73, has made some of the most iconic movies of all time, from 1972 mob classic The Godfather to 1979 war epic Apocalypse Now. But as an equally humble student and lover of film, he’s recently made smaller movies with tiny budgets such as 2009’s Tetro, starring Vincent Gallo, and murder mystery Twixt, with Val Kilmer and Elle Fanning.

Coppola spoke to EW about five of his films – Apocalypse Now, the extended version Apocalypse Now Redux, Tetro, 1974’s The Conversation, and 1982’s One From the Heart — all being released as a Blu-ray box set through Lionsgate on Tuesday. With new offices next year in Los Angeles on the Paramount Pictures lot, he also revealed his plans, and mentioned a first draft script, for a new “ambitious” big budget movie set in New York, as well as what he expects of his “kid brother” director George Lucas following the Disney- Lucasfilm acquisition. With the 2007 documentary Fog City Mavericks capturing the creative, independent spark of Bay Area filmmakers such as Coppola and Lucas, a new era for both has begun.
READ FULL STORY

Latest Videos in Movies

Advertisement

From Our Partners

TV Recaps

Powered by WordPress.com VIP