Devil’s Knot, a docudrama about the tangled and still-loaded West Memphis Three case, directed by Atom Egoyan, is for the most part a tense and absorbing movie. It’s the intelligent, detail-jammed, well-executed version of what we used to call “a TV movie” — a phrase you can’t really use anymore, since it once connoted a certain second-rate, connect-the-dots Madame Tussauds biopic quality that’s become irrelevant in the age of HBO. (There was never a “TV movie” like Behind the Candelabra or Recount.) Yet that term also summoned up the basic, childlike voyeuristic appeal of seeing interesting actors inhabit the roles of tabloid figures — celebrities, criminals, or both — who get famous for unspeakable behavior. Be honest: Wouldn’t you like to see a down-and-dirty TV movie about the Casey Anthony case? (Actually, there was one, but it was awful. I say: Cast Emily Blunt now!) And the West Memphis Three case, though it’s been dealt with in the media for years as — rightly — a dead-serious episode of egregious injustice, remains, at its dark heart, a river of homicidal mystery boiling with undertows of evil. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Lukas Moodysson (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Survivor' recap: John Rocker gets rocked
- Fall TV poll: First canceled show of 2014?
- 'Survivor': 3 Q's for Jeff Probst
- Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder talk 'Vampire Diaries': 'Eerily deceiving and odd' grief
- 9 best animated TV series drawn from comics
- 'Nashville'; 'Top Chef Duels'; 'Red Band Society': Wednesday TV recaps
- Jennifer Love-Hewitt's 'Criminal Minds' debut: How'd she do?
- 'Once Upon a Time' sneak peek: Storybrooke's on thin ice with Elsa
- 'The Walking Dead' star Emily Kinney says there's 'definitely a connection' between Beth and Daryl 509
- 'Go Big or Go Home' 357
- 'Find Your Muse' 289
- The 'Simpsons'/'Family Guy' crossover is one of the most fascinatingly weird things to ever happen to television 330
- Which new fall show will be canceled first? 207