Her and The Act of Killing may have both been nominated for Academy Awards this year, but that isn’t enough for Divergent actress Maggie Q: She thinks they deserved even more acclaim. The Nikita star gave us her picks for favorite movies of 2013 she thinks should have been more popular:
Tag: Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (1-3 of 3)
The Oscars are looking to be a night of musical debuts. Earlier this week, we learned that Idina Menzel will perform Frozen‘s “Let It Go” for the first time live. And Wednesday night, the Oscars revealed that U2 will appear to perform their song “Ordinary Love” — also for the first time before a live audience.
On Thursday, the show’s producers announced that Yeah Yeah Yeahs frontwoman Karen O is also on board to perform “The Moon Song” from Her, which O cowrote with the film’s writer/director Spike Jonze. All three songs are nominated for Best Original Song, along with “Happy” from Despicable Me 2; as previously announced, “Happy” writer Pharrell will sing the tune at the ceremony.
“Ordinary Love” was written for Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom. Earlier this year, it snagged the Golden Globe for Best Original Song.
The Oscars, hosted by Ellen DeGeneres, will be broadcast live March 2 on ABC.
Box office report: 'Frozen' rises to No. 1 with $31.6 million, leaves no heat for 'Out of the Furnace'
The first weekend in December is a notoriously weak one at the box office, and, true to form, most movies faced harsh declines this weekend after the record-breaking Thanksgiving frame. But Disney’s animated musical Frozen managed to score a not-so-severe 53 percent fall to $31.6 million this weekend, which sent it past Catching Fire and straight into the No. 1 spot on the chart.
Frozen has earned $134.3 million after 12 days in wide release, 39 percent more than 2010’s Tangled, which had earned $96.6 million at the same point in its run. The film will match its $150 million budget by this time next week, and if it maintains its current pace (which seems likely given its “A+” CinemaScore), Frozen could be headed for a finish of about $280 million. The film’s box office success is sending its soundtrack into the upper echelons of the music charts. The soundtrack debuted at No. 18 on the Billboard 200 last week, and it’s risen all the way to No. 4 on the iTunes chart as well. READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Survivor' season finale recap: The right one won
- 'Survivor' season finale: 5 Q's for Jeff Probst and a deleted scene
- 'Survivor' season 30 scoop: Jeff Probst shares new details on 'Worlds Apart'
- 'Ascension' finale: Lost in space, or 'Lost' in space?
- 'The Sing-Off' holiday special: One night, six groups, 800 blazers--and the winner is...
- David Letterman takes on the Sony hack by reading 'leaked emails'
- 'The Interview' gets the hook; would a 'prestige' film have been pulled just the same?
- James Corden visits Craig Ferguson before 'Late Late Show' handoff in 2015
- 'Survivor' host Jeff Probst reacts to the winner, Reed's harsh comments, and the entire season
- 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur' finale: And the winner is...
- 'Survivor' season finale recap: The Right Person Won
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart': Jeff Probst gives exclusive intel on NEXT season
- 'Ascension' finale review: Lost in space, or 'Lost' in space?