On Saturday, the Internet lit up with the breathless all-caps news that Charlie Hunnam would no longer be playing the dashing if psychologically damaged billionaire Christian Grey in the big-screen adaptation of Fifty Shades of Grey. Some of best-selling author E L James’ readers were ecstatic, as it meant their dream casting for fan favorites like Matt Bomer or Ian Somerhalder might have life yet. But it was a gut punch to Universal/Focus, which is scrambling to recast a beloved role and still keep to their mid-November production start.
READ FULL STORY
Tag: Matt Bomer (1-4 of 4)
• Tron: Legacy star Garrett Hedlund is set to time travel to World War II for Universal’s adaptation of Laura Hillenbrand’s Unbroken, about Olympian and prisoner of war Lou Zamperini and his incredible story of survival. Angelina Jolie is directing the adaptation, which stars Jack O’Connell in the lead role. Hedlund will play a fellow POW in the Japanese camp where Zamperini ends up after surviving on a raft in the Pacific for 28 days. Joel and Ethan Coen, who directed Hedlund in Inside Llewyn Davis, are the latest writers tasked with revising the script which has also passed by the desks of William Nicholson (Gladiator) and Richard LaGravenese (Behind the Candelabra). Unbroken will hit theaters on Dec. 25, 2014. [Variety]
Casting Net: Meryl Streep in talks to join 'The Giver,' set to reunite with Robert De Niro; Plus more
• You know filmmakers mean business when they cast two Oscar winners to star in their adaptation of a best-seller. Meryl Streep is set to star as Hildy Good, the main character of Ann Leary’s The Good House. Hildy is a grandmother, a real-estate broker, and an alcoholic. The book is set a year after her family tried to intervene, when Hildy starts to immerse herself in the sordid secrets of her Massachusetts town as she befriends, and then tries to protect, a younger transplant named Rebecca, who has yet to be cast. Robert De Niro, who starred with Streep in The Deer Hunter, Falling in Love, and Marvin’s Room, will play Frank, a fellow resident of the town who Hildy reconnects with. Michael Cunningham (The Hours) is writing the adaptation, and there is currently no director attached. [Deadline]
• Streep is also in talks to join Jeff Bridges in the adaptation of The Giver, where she’d play the part of the Chief Elder. Bridges plays The Giver and relative unknown Brenton Thwaites will play Jonas in the big screen take on Lois Lowry’s new classic. Production is expected to begin in South Africa in two months, with Phil Noyce directing. [Deadline]
Happy Friday! A second Magic Mike trailer has been released and this one cuts right to the chase. Sure, we’re informed that Magic Mike (Channing Tatum) is an “entrepreneur,” but he still shakes his moneymaker many, many times. Among the other new shots: A sage Matthew McConaughey in some hilarious workout wear, a cowboy number (yes, please), Alex Pettyfer giving a lapdance, and a tease of a group number that involves the guys ripping off their Army fatigues to reveal thongs (and kneepads!). We also see how the friendship between Tatum’s and Pettyfer’s characters evolves. (Plot!) Watch it below. READ FULL STORY
- 'American Horror Story: Coven' recap: 'Head'
- Ryan Murphy talks 'AHS: Coven': Is (SPOILER) dead?
- 'Survivor' recap: Drawing a line in the sand
- 'Nashville' recap: 'Tomorrow Never Comes'
- 'Arrow' execs talk big midseason finale twists
- 'Arrow' react: 'Three Ghosts'
- 'Sing-Off' react: B.Y.O.P(artyPuns).
- 'Top Chef' recap: Emotional eaters
- 'Sons of Anarchy' season finale post-mortem: Burning questions answered
- 'Britney Jean' nets Britney Spears her worst opening week ever; Garth Brooks and Duck Dynasty carry on
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show: Taylor Swift Wishes
- 'Nashville' midseason finale cliffhanger: Who died?
- 'Arrow' mid-season finale post-mortem: Scoop on all those surprises!