Patrick Wilson (The Conjuring) and Matthew Fox (Lost) have joined the Western film Bone Tomahawk, alongside previously announced cast members Kurt Russell and Richard Jenkins. The film starts on Monday in southern California and is written and directed by novelist and first-time filmmaker S. Craig Zahler.
Tag: Matthew Fox (1-5 of 5)
• Two-time Oscar winner Jessica Lange will join Mark Wahlberg and Brie Larson in Paramount’s remake of The Gambler. The American Horror Story star will play the wealthy mother of Wahlberg’s character, who is struggling with debt. The 64-year-old actress can be seen next in the thriller In Secret, with Oscar Isaac and Elizabeth Olsen (out Feb. 21). [Deadline]
Tommy Lee Jones is following up his role as Rep. Thaddeus Stevens in Lincoln with a performance as another curmudgeonly historical figure, this time as General Douglas MacArthur in the days following Japan’s World War II surrender. Jones brings the polarizing general to life in Emperor, set to open in theaters March 8. Here EW debuts the poster for the historical drama.
The darkly elegant poster features Jones in the background and co-star Matthew Fox in the foreground, with title text that incorporates the rising sun of the Japanese flag. Check it out below: READ FULL STORY
Who would you rather sit next to on a plane: General MacArthur or Tommy Lee Jones?
In the first official trailer for Emperor, Matthew Fox doesn’t really get a choice in the matter. The unlikely pair are on their way to Japan in the immediate aftermath of World War II, and must determine whether or not Emperor Hirohito is a war criminal. They only have ten days to do so.
Click past the jump to watch the trailer, and remind yourself that Tommy Lee Jones can look as unhappy as he wants at awards shows, as long as he continues to nail lines like “let’s show them some good old-fashioned American swagger.”
General Douglas MacArthur, polarizing World War II general who accepted Japan’s surrender, knew how to make an impression. When he fulfilled his promise to American troops and allies that he would eventually return to liberate the Philippines in 1944, he made sure that news cameras captured his moment of triumph — he dramatically made his way through the waves and on to the beach several times, just to make sure.
In Emperor, a new film that premieres tomorrow at the Toronto Film Festival, Tommy Lee Jones plays the conquering general as Americans troops arrive in Japan for post-war occupation and have to decide whether to treat the defeated nation’s figurehead as a war criminal. Jones doesn’t necessarily have the patrician bearing of MacArthur — or actors like Gregory Peck and Henry Fonda, who played the general in previous films — but he certainly mastered his supreme confidence. “I bear no real resemblance to MacArthur but when you put on the military uniform with lots of fruit salad on the front and smoke a corncob pipe — that’s the image that he cultivated and it became iconic,” said Jones.
In this exclusive clip, MacArthur prepares his men for battle — the intellectual and propaganda battle to win the peace after dropping two atomic bombs. READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Project Runway' finale recap: And the winner is...
- 'Grey’s Anatomy': Sara Ramirez dissects shocking Calzona twist
- Peter Jackson lets us peek at his prep work for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'
- 'How to Get Away With Murder': Talk about 'We're Not Friends'
- 'Vampire Diaries'; 'Grey's Anatomy'; 'Scandal'; 'Reign'; 'Gracepoint' recaps
- Taylor Swift's '1989' review: Losing herself in 'pop'?
- Brad Pitt talks 'Fury' (or is that 'Furry'?) on 'Between Two Ferns'
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': 17 GIFs that keep on giving
- Aaron Paul takes on Toys 'R' Us after 'Breaking Bad' toys are pulled
- Videogame face-off: 'FIFA 10' vs. 'NBA2K10'
- Peter Jackson walks us through his battle plans for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Sara Ramirez dissects shocking Calzona twist
- Zach Galifianakis gets a little too real with Brad Pitt on 'Between Two Ferns'