• Sofia Vergara (Modern Family) and Reese Witherspoon (Sweet Home Alabama) will show off their comedy chops together in Don’t Mess With Texas, a project Universal just won in a fierce bidding battle among studios. Like Sweet Home Alabama, the film is a chance for Witherspoon to get in touch with her southern roots (though not quite in her home state of Tennessee, where she was raised). Don’t Mess With Texas will follow a cop and a prisoner who are on the run in Texas from crooked cops. [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
Tag: Movie Casting (21-30 of 204)
Casting Net: Denzel Washington to play futuristic contract killer-turned-protector; Plus Tom Hardy, Melissa Leo, Chevy Chase, more
• Denzel Washington devotedly protected Dakota Fanning in Man on Fire. Now he’s signed on to a new project that will have him protecting a child, though this time in a near future big city setting. The film is Shovel Ready, an adaptation of the yet-to-be-released debut novel of New York Times journalist Adam Sternbergh. Here’s how Deadline’s report described the plot: “In a bombed-out, near future New York City where most of the population escapes reality by tapping into a digital fantasy world, a contract killer is hired to kill the daughter of a powerful, maniacal evangelist. Ultimately, the killer becomes the girl’s protector.” The novel hits shelves on Jan. 14, 2014. [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Carey Mulligan is front-runner to play Hillary Rodham Clinton; Plus James Franco, Javier Bardem, Emmy Rossum, and more
• A handful of American actresses have been rumored to be in consideration for the role of Hillary Rodham Clinton in upcoming biopic Rodham — Scarlett Johansson, Jessica Chastain, Reese Witherspoon, Amanda Seyfried, and Emma Stone, most prominently. But now a front-runner has emerged: British actress Carey Mulligan, who most recently starred as Daisy Buchanan in The Great Gatsby. Mulligan hasn’t officially announced her candidacy for the role of the former first lady, New York senator, and secretary of state, but THR reports that the 28-year-old actress will soon meet with director James Ponsoldt (The Spectacular Now) about the project. Rodham will focus on the early years of Clinton’s career, including meeting future president Bill Clinton and her position as a lawyer on the committee involved in Richard Nixon’s impeachment. [THR]
Saul Goodman has a new gig! Bob Odenkirk, who plays Walter White’s morally dubious lawyer on AMC’s Breaking Bad, is set to write and star in a comedy called Girlfriend’s Day. Odenkirk will play a greeting card writer who gets entangled in a web of murder and deceit as he and his fellow scribes try to create the perfect card for the new, titular, holiday.
Casting Net: Dev Patel, Robert Sheehan, Zoe Kravitz to share screen in 'The Road Within'; Plus Judd Nelson, more
• Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionaire), Robert Sheehan (Misfits), and Zoe Kravitz (X-Men: First Class) will star in The Road Within, an indie drama adapted from award-winning 2010 German film Vincent Will Meer. Sheehan will star as Vincent, a young man with Tourette syndrome left at a residential clinic by his father following his mother’s death. Vincent and two fellow patients — an anorexic woman (Kravitz) and his OCD roommate (Patel) — break out of the clinic on a road trip to take his mother’s ashes to the ocean. Production for The Road Within begins in Los Angeles this July. [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
The ever-growing cast of Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy has gained another actor. Oscar-winner Benicio Del Toro has signed onto the comic book-based movie. Deadline first reported the news.
Details about Del Toro’s role are being kept under wraps, but he’s reportedly playing a character will appear in future Marvel films. Deadline noted that the Traffic actor has signed a deal with Marvel that includes additional films for the studio. READ FULL STORY
Adrian Garcia Bogliano's 'Late Phases': Check out the first image from the upcoming horror film -- EXCLUSIVE PHOTO
Latin America has become a horror film hot spot over the past couple of years, thanks in large part to director Adrián García Bogliano, whose 2011 slow burn terror flick Penumbra is a must-see for fans of the genre. Now, Bogliano is hoping to make a splash in the U.S. with his new movie, Late Phases, which is currently shooting in upstate New York.
The director’s first English-language film, Late Phases relates the story of a cantankerous blind vet named Ambrose McKinley (Stake Land‘s Nick Damici) who moves into a retirement community where residents have been dying from dog attacks — although, as Ambrose starts to realize, the mutts may be more than mere canines. The film also stars Ethan Embry (Can’t Hardly Wait), Erin Cummings (Spartacus), Lance Guest (Halloween II), Tom Noonan (Manhunter), Tina Louise (Stepford Wives), Karen Lynn Gorney (Saturday Night Fever), Al Sapienza (House of Cards), Caitlin O’Hearney (Wolfen) and Rutanya Alda (The Deer Hunter).
You can exclusively check out the first image from Late Phases below. READ FULL STORY
• Doctor Who alum Karen Gillan is bound for more space adventures in Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, but this time not as a sidekick for the good guys. The Scottish actress will play a villain in the comic book-based movie — no more details have been revealed about her character. Lee Pace (Pushing Daisies) and Michael Rooker (The Walking Dead) will also play villains. Chris Pratt (Zero Dark Thirty) is set to play the lead, Star Lord. Prepping for a late June production start, Guardians of the Galaxy is scheduled for an Aug. 1, 2014 release date. [THR] READ FULL STORY
The Dark Knight actor Eric Roberts has been cast in Human Centipede 3 (Final Sequence). Franchise producer Ilona Six confirmed that the star, who was Oscar-nominated for playing an escaped convict in 1985’s Runaway Train, will appear in the third film of the notorious horror series.
Roberts’ other notable credits include 1983’s Star 80, the following year’s The Pope of Greenwich Village, and The Expendables. Six also confirmed that Tommy “Tiny” Lister (Friday), Robert LaSardo (Death Race), and former porn actress (and former Charlie Sheen paramour) Bree Olson will make their Centipede debuts in the movie. They join a cast that already features returning villains Dieter Laser and Laurence R. Harvey and the series’ writer-director Tom Six.
The Human Centipede is, of course, the infamous and much-parodied franchise in which people are, let us say, affixed together to form a single alimentary canal. The third movie is currently being shot in California and will reportedly feature a 500-person centipede.
‘Human Centipede’ director Tom Six and star Dieter Laser end legal battle, ‘HC3′ to start filming in May — EXCLUSIVE
‘The Human Centipede’ inspires children’s poem, cute-as-a-button t-shirt design
Why do we want to see movies like ‘The Human Centipede 2’?
‘Human Centipede 2′ director and star on their controversial sequel: ‘It’s NOT a Jennifer Aniston movie!’
‘Human Centipede': Director Tom Six talks about the sequel, his plan for a threequel, and all those ‘Centipede’ parodies
Bryan Singer is at it again! The director of the highly anticipated X-Men: Days of Future Past is quickly becoming a social media mastermind. After tweeting out numerous first looks at the cast, Singer’s latest tweet confirmed that Evan Peters will be joining the film as Quiksilver, the super-fast son of Magneto, whose twin sister, Scarlet Witch, can manipulate probability. READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- Winners and losers of Summer 2014
- 30 Days of Binge: Take our tips to dive into 'Lost'; a 2014 hit you missed; or a TV classic that passed you by
- 'Agents of SHIELD': First 30-second glimpse of season 2
- Angelina Jolie-Brad Pitt wedding photos debut in People
- EW's 2014 Summer Movie Awards
- Jennifer Lawrence nude pics: FBI issues statement
- 'Hullabaloo': Will fans of hand-drawn animation art fund this indie short?
- 'Unauthorized Saved by the Bell Story': 100 things that happened (maybe?)
- 100 things that apparently happened, as told by 'The Unauthorized Saved…
- Internet grinds to halt as nude pics of Jennifer Lawrence, others surface
- FBI issues statement on leaked nude photos of Jennifer Lawrence, others
- CeeLo Green tweets that only women who 'remember' can be raped (Updated)
- EW's 2014 Summer Movie Awards