Chris Hemsworth was still filming The Avengers when made an audition tape for the role of British Formula One driver James Hunt in Rush. The tape impressed Rush director Ron Howard and the film’s writer-producer Peter Morgan, but the pair had one major concern. As Hemsworth was still filming The Avengers he had the musclebound physique of Thor rather than that of the lithe Hunt. “He had the right look, assuming he could lose the weight,” says Howard. “Chris said, ‘Thor can’t even get in an F1 car — but I will be able to.’”
Tag: Movie Casting (21-30 of 210)
Ready to be “excited and scared”?
Viral video star Sophia Grace Brownlee (of “Sophia Grace and Rosie” fame) will play Red Riding Hood in Disney’s upcoming adaptation of the musical Into the Woods, directed by Rob Marshall, EW has confirmed.
Into the Woods tells the story of the Baker (James Corden) and his wife (Emily Blunt), who make a deal with an evil witch (Meryl Streep) in order to conceive. Their journey into the woods brings them face-to-face with many famous fairy tale characters, including Red Riding Hood (Brownlee), The Wolf (Johnny Depp), Cinderella (Anna Kendrick), and Jack (Les Miserables’ Daniel Huttlestone) and his magical beans.
For those familiar with the work, the young age of Brownlee may give viewers pause. She’s 10, and will be metaphorically seduced by The Wolf (a.k.a 50-year-old Depp) and then develop a little bloodlust by the end of the movie.
For some context, check out Broadway star Danielle Ferland singing Red Riding Hood’s big number (full of veiled sexual references!) from the Broadway production of Into the Woods:
READ FULL STORY
Sean Young talks about the new horror movie 'Jug Face' (and why she may boycott the next 'Blade Runner' movie)
In the new horror movie Jug Face, Sean Young, Larry Fessenden, and Lauren Ashley Carter play members of a backwoods cult which sacrifices people to a pit-dwelling monster. Sounds creepily intriguing? Indeed it does. And we haven’t even mentioned the ghosts. Or the incest. Or, for that matter, the artisanal jug-making.
It’s hard to work out the most newsworthy bit of casting to be found in action sequel Machete Kills, given this is a film which features Mel Gibson, Charlie Sheen (appearing under his birth name of Carlos Estevez), and a machine gun bra-sporting Sofia Vergara. But the winner may actually be director Robert Rodriguez‘s recruitment of Lady Gaga for the role of a hit woman called La Chameleón in the Danny Trejo-starring action sequel, which is released October 11. So how did the filmmaker snag the pop superstar for his film?
“I got a call from Mark Duplass, and he’s like, ‘Hey, Ken, do you want to be in this movie about a monster that comes out of your ass?’” Marino told EW earlier this year, just before the film’s premiere at South by Southwest. “I was like, ‘Where do I sign up? And when’s the fitting?’”
Bad Milo! (which also stars Gillian Jacobs, Peter Stormare, and Patrick Warburton) will be available on demand from August 29 and arrives in theaters Oct. 4. But(t) you can see a red-band preview of the Jacob Vaughan-directed film below.
READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Sofia Vergara, Reese Witherspoon to star in 'Don't Mess With Texas'; Plus Christoph Waltz
• Sofia Vergara (Modern Family) and Reese Witherspoon (Sweet Home Alabama) will show off their comedy chops together in Don’t Mess With Texas, a project Universal just won in a fierce bidding battle among studios. Like Sweet Home Alabama, the film is a chance for Witherspoon to get in touch with her southern roots (though not quite in her home state of Tennessee, where she was raised). Don’t Mess With Texas will follow a cop and a prisoner who are on the run in Texas from crooked cops. [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Denzel Washington to play futuristic contract killer-turned-protector; Plus Tom Hardy, Melissa Leo, Chevy Chase, more
• Denzel Washington devotedly protected Dakota Fanning in Man on Fire. Now he’s signed on to a new project that will have him protecting a child, though this time in a near future big city setting. The film is Shovel Ready, an adaptation of the yet-to-be-released debut novel of New York Times journalist Adam Sternbergh. Here’s how Deadline’s report described the plot: “In a bombed-out, near future New York City where most of the population escapes reality by tapping into a digital fantasy world, a contract killer is hired to kill the daughter of a powerful, maniacal evangelist. Ultimately, the killer becomes the girl’s protector.” The novel hits shelves on Jan. 14, 2014. [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Carey Mulligan is front-runner to play Hillary Rodham Clinton; Plus James Franco, Javier Bardem, Emmy Rossum, and more
• A handful of American actresses have been rumored to be in consideration for the role of Hillary Rodham Clinton in upcoming biopic Rodham — Scarlett Johansson, Jessica Chastain, Reese Witherspoon, Amanda Seyfried, and Emma Stone, most prominently. But now a front-runner has emerged: British actress Carey Mulligan, who most recently starred as Daisy Buchanan in The Great Gatsby. Mulligan hasn’t officially announced her candidacy for the role of the former first lady, New York senator, and secretary of state, but THR reports that the 28-year-old actress will soon meet with director James Ponsoldt (The Spectacular Now) about the project. Rodham will focus on the early years of Clinton’s career, including meeting future president Bill Clinton and her position as a lawyer on the committee involved in Richard Nixon’s impeachment. [THR]
Saul Goodman has a new gig! Bob Odenkirk, who plays Walter White’s morally dubious lawyer on AMC’s Breaking Bad, is set to write and star in a comedy called Girlfriend’s Day. Odenkirk will play a greeting card writer who gets entangled in a web of murder and deceit as he and his fellow scribes try to create the perfect card for the new, titular, holiday.
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'SNL': How'd Cameron Diaz do?
- Tyler James Williams' 'Walking Dead' preview: 'We're going back to get the squad'
- 'Hobbit' First Look: Billy Boyd music video for the 'Last Goodbye' closing theme
- Stephen Merchant answers burning Q's about 'Hello Ladies: The Movie' (including THAT cameo)
- 20 platonic movie/TV power couples
- 'Mockingjay--Part 1': 7 biggest changes from page to screen
- 'Mockingjay--Part 1': A movie, or just an extended prologue for the movie yet to come?
- 'Mockingjay': Hear Jennifer Lawrence sing 'The Hanging Tree'
- See the exclusive music video for 'The Hobbit's 'Last Goodbye,' with Billy Boyd and goosebumps aplenty
- Bodies of Work: 49 Unforgettable Nude Scenes
- Cameron Diaz hosts 'Saturday Night Live' this weekend -- talk about it here!
- Bobby Moynihan: Drunk Uncle, Aunt Linda, and Stefon are one big family
- 20 Classic Movie/TV Bikinis