The Long Good Friday is not the most successful film to star Bob Hoskins, who has died at the age of 71. (That would be the 1988 blockbuster Who Framed Roger Rabbit.) It may not even be the British actor’s best gangster movie; a case can be made for Neil Jordan’s superlative Mona Lisa. But as a reminder of Hoskins’ volcanic, yet subtly-applied talents, it is impossible to beat this 1979 thriller from director John Mackenzie.
Tag: movie (31-40 of 1461)
Forget all those cute, snowflake-suffused Christmas cards. From Howard Hawks’ The Thing From Another World to the Coen brothers’ Fargo to this week’s somewhat self-explanatory horror movie Blood Glacier, it is an established movie law that terrible things occur in cold weather. And director Emanuel Hoss-Desmarais doesn’t seem in any hurry to break that rule with his debut thriller, Whitewash, which is currently available to buy on iTunes and arrives on VOD this coming Friday.
Whether you know him best as Game of Thrones’ scheming Littlefinger or ambitious Baltimore politico Tommy Carcetti on HBO’s The Wire, actor Aiden Gillen has the uncanny ability to make any bad guy seem a bit more humane — which also happens to be the reoccurring theme in his newest project, indie flick Beneath The Harvest Sky. READ FULL STORY
Despite its seemingly kiddie-friendly name, the new film Jay and Silent Bob’s Super Groovy Cartoon Movie is not suitable for children — unless they’re very young. “You can sit down with a child that doesn’t perceive vulgarity and that child will totally delight in it, because it’s colorful to look at,” says director and prolific podcaster Kevin Smith, who wrote the film. “But if that child understands content at all, you’re going to have a lot of explaining to do.”
The framing device of the new, 15-years-in-the-making documentary For No Good Reason finds Johnny Depp paying a visit to the film’s subject, British artist Ralph Steadman, at his home in Britain. Director Charlie Paul admits getting that footage proved a little tricky given that Steadman was initially none to keen on participating in the project at all, and Johnny Depp is, well, Johnny Depp.
In the ’70s-set The Quiet Ones, Jared Harris (Mad Men) portrays a British professor determined to prove that there is a scientific explanation for the seemingly supernatural phenomena besetting a young woman, played by Bates Motel actress Olivia Cooke. As The Quiet Ones, which opens this Friday, comes to us from the famously horror-obsessed U.K company Hammer, it does not spoil things too much to reveal that the prof’s plan goes wildly awry. READ FULL STORY
Eric Roberts and his spouse Eliza Roberts were guests on Monday’s episode of Entertainment Weirdly on EW’s Sirius XM channel to discuss their episode of Celebrity Wife Swap, which airs Tuesday. But we couldn’t let the Dark Knight star and onetime Oscar nominee leave without asking him about his upcoming film Human Centipede 3, the third entry of the notorious horror franchise in which people are attached together to form the grotesque titular creature.
Well, we could have let him leave without asking about it. We just didn’t. READ FULL STORY
Seeing director Zack Parker’s new thriller Proxy will undoubtedly represent two of the most unforgettable hours you spend in the cinema this year — if, that is, you can get past the first five minutes. In the film, Alexia Rasmussen plays a heavily pregnant woman named Esther who loses her baby as the result of a brutal beating, which takes place in the aforementioned opening minutes, and subsequently befriends another bereaved mother called Melanie (Alexa Havins) at a grief support group. But is Melanie quite what she seems? And, for that matter, is Esther? READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy': About that ending and other spoiler-y Q's
- 'Sons of Anarchy' unveils haunting final season art
- 'Once Upon a Time': Let's guess what's up in first 'Frozen' photos
- 12 who gained/lost weight for a role
- 'Supernatural,' 'Teen Wolf,' 'Mindy,' more fresh TV spoilers
- Wrestlers in movies: Best/worst performances
- Comic-Con '14: 20 bonus star portraits
- Chris Pratt: 'Parks and Rec' will get ending it deserves (dinosaurs?)
- STAHP in the name of love 982
- Quentin Tarantino, J.J. Abrams and other directors are working to save movie film 560
- Enough, already: Why I'm quitting 'The Leftovers' 467
- Box office report: 'Lucy' slays 'Hercules' with $44 million debut 285
- DON'T PUBLISH See FIVE minutes of the 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover episode -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO 597
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' ending: Who was that? And other spoiler-y questions
- Photos: 'Once Upon a Time' reveals Elsa, Kristoff, and obviously the reindeer
- On the Books: HarperCollins to cut offending passage from 'American Sniper'
- Worth the Weight? 12 Radical Physical Transformations for a Role
- Spoiler Room is back! Get scoop on 'Supernatural,' 'Teen Wolf', more