When you think of the movies you really love, your memories of a great many of them are probably linked, in one way or another, to music. Yet movies and music remain, at least in our heads, beautifully complimentary yet distinct things, like food and wine, or football and big TVs. They shouldn’t, though. A musical, of course, is its own special mashup. Yet there are so many other incredible ways that movies and music can merge. The title sequence of Singin’ in the Rain is a great number — and so, in its way, is Ewan McGregor’s performance of “Your Song” in Moulin Rouge! Yet what about the opening-credits sequence of American Hustle? We hear Steely Dan’s great 1972 song “Dirty Work” laid over slow-motion images of Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, and Amy Adams sauntering through the Plaza Hotel with a suspicious-looking briefcase. The song is reconfigured, with an irony that gently explodes in your brain, from being about an adulterous lover tired of being used as a slimy third wheel into a song about a con man tired of being used by the law. More that just a terrific song choice, this, too, is a bona fide musical number — a piece of opera, really. And it’s just one of many moments in American Hustle that remind you why movies and music, when they’re really working together, chemically and synergistically, create a sensual pop poetry all their own. Here’s a look at a few of the other memorable numbers unfolding in the big-screen operas-by-any-other-name that are ruling the megaplex this season. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Movies you can listen to (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Movies
- C-3PO's 'Star Wars' past, present, and future: A deep-dive Q&A with Anthony Daniels
- 'Mindy Project'; 'New Girl'; 'Big Brother'; 'Dancing With the Stars': Tuesday TV recaps
- 'Ground Floor' loses 'Scrubs' mini-reunion; Emily Rutherfurd replaces Christa Miller
- Jessica Lange's 'AHS: Freak Show' role: 'delusional, narcissistic, ruthless in her ambition'
- 'Making a Scene with James Franco': 6 new photos from movie mash-up series
- Valerie Cherish's return promises to be 'like 'Comeback' crack' for fans
- Andrew Rannells talks 'Hedwig,' 'Book of Mormon,' 'Girls'
- 'Revenge' season 4 trailer: 'Emily Thorne, I'm coming for you'
- 'Utopia' ratings plummet 753
- Famed James Bond villain Richard Kiel dies at 74 538
- Discovery to strand Democrat and Republican senators on deserted island 481
- The glimmering crocodile tears of Princess Victoria, First of Her Name 475
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks 375
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- 'Breaking Bad,' 1 year later: Emmy-winning team tells 'Ozymandias' secrets
- 'Revenge' first look: Watch the trailer for season 4
- Ryan Murphy on 'AHS: Freak Show': 'This season, once you die, you're dead'
- 'Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies' Tapestry Revealed