• Jennifer Aniston is reportedly in talks to star in Mean Moms, an upcoming New Line pic based on Rosalind Wiseman‘s book about parenting. TV-vet Beth McCarthy-Miller, who recently directed The Sound of Music Live, is set to direct the comedy, which is reportedly scripted in the vein of Mean Girls (also based on one of Wiseman’s books). The story follows a mother who moves to a fancy suburb from a small town and is suddenly pitted against an army of hypercompetitive parents. [The Wrap] READ FULL STORY
Tag: Movies (31-40 of 575)
Two very different action pics blast into theaters this weekend: the period epic Pompeii and the tick-tock spy thriller 3 Days to Kill. Despite boasting directors who have proven themselves somewhat reliable box office quantities — Resident Evil‘s Paul W.S. Anderson and Charlie’s Angels‘ McG — neither will hold a candle to The Lego Movie, which will enjoy a third weekend at the top of the charts.
Tiny animated toys aren’t the only obstacle for the action pics. The new contenders also have to compete with the still-formidable competition of About Last Night and Monuments Men. This weekend’s wild card is RoboCop. After a modest domestic debut, and a generally positive audience response (B+ CinemaScore), it now has to face two brand-new movies vying for the same action-hungry audience.
Here’s how things might play out. READ FULL STORY
• Brittany Snow is set to reprise her role as Chloe in Pitch Perfect 2, which is already scheduled for a May 15, 2015, release. For those keeping tabs, we know that Anna Kendrick and Rebel Wilson plan to return as well, and that Elizabeth Banks will direct. The plot is being kept under wraps, but fans can rest easy knowing that Pitch Perfect scribe Kay Cannon is writing the sequel. [THR] READ FULL STORY
So would I — but, alas, we never will. In the mid-’70s, Hollywood studios declined to finance just such a project after Jodorowsky spent a couple of years prepping the movie with a band of hugely gifted artists including future Alien creators H.R. Giger and Dan O’Bannon. (In fairness to the studio execs, they may have been justifiably reluctant to invest in a project which Jodorowsky himself believed might be as many as 20 hours long).
• Zach Galifianakis (The Hangover) will take on a supporting role in the indie drama Freeheld, starring Ellen Page (Juno) and Julianne Moore (Far From Heaven) as domestic partners battling New Jersey pension laws. Based on Cynthia Wade’s Oscar-winning documentary short, Moore will star as Laurel Hester, a detective who becomes terminally ill. Page would play her partner Stacie Andree, and Galifianakis is set to portray equality activist Steven Goldstein. Philadelphia scribe Ron Nyswaner wrote the script, and Peter Sollett (Raising Victor Vargas) will direct. [THR] READ FULL STORY
The courtship exhibited in Her might be unconventional, but you wouldn’t know that from Karen O’s “The Moon Song” — a sweet, simple ukulele ode to a long-distance love.
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs vocalist scored her first Oscar nomination for the song, which Scarlett Johansson’s OS Samantha sings in the film, while Joaquin Phoenix’s lonely Theodore provides the instrumentals. Director Spike Jonze co-wrote the lyrics, and it was recently announced that Karen O would be performing the song at the Academy Awards on March 2.
Check out a Warner Bros. featurette backed by the quiet song after the jump. Framed by Amy Adams’ character reassuring us that “anybody who falls in love is a freak,” and set to some gorgeous clips from the film, we’re not promising that those who stick it out will make it to the end with dry eyes. Blame the Rooney Mara flashbacks. READ FULL STORY
It’s a 1980s showdown at the box office this icy Presidents Day weekend. Remakes of RoboCop, About Last Night, and Endless Love all open wide (even Winter’s Tale is based on a 1983 book!), but The Lego Movie will undoubtedly reign supreme in its second weekend in theaters.
Here’s how things might play out: READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- Jon Favreau's 'Chef': Tasty starter for SXSW
- 27 DreamWorks animated movies: We rank 'em
- 10 signs you're watching a Wes Anderson movie
- 'Vampire Diaries': A salute to Katherine
- 'Reign': What did 'uncensored' sex scenes add?
- 'Need for Speed' cast's abused cars
- Seth MacFarlane: Inside the new 'Cosmos' ship
- 'Reign'-ing sound? TV tunes of the week
- 'Reign': Are the uncensored sex scenes all that different?
- Second time around: TV stars who reprised iconic roles
- Dr. Burke returns to 'Grey's Anatomy': What will happen?
- 'Vampire Diaries': Say goodbye to Katherine Pierce by reliving some of her best moments -- VIDEO
- Fox renews 'Mindy Project,' 'The Following,' more