After the ratings hit of their musical-infused, Seth MacFarlane-hosted Oscar telecast, producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron will be returning to again oversee next year’s ceremony.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced today that the duo, who previously produced such films as Chicago, Hairspray, and The Bucket List, would be coming back, which is unusually long lead-time. The ceremony will take place March 2, 2014.
There’s no host in place, of course, and it seems unlikely that MacFarlane would return. Just a few weeks before fulfilling his emcee duties, he was emphatic when asked by EW if he would consider doing the show again: “It’s cool to do it once,” he said. “I’m happy to be doing it this one time, but I just can’t take that kind of time out of my schedule again.”
Zadan and Meron have a fairly deep bench of contacts — they were able to get everyone from Jack Nicholson to Barbra Streisand to show up for the last show. Their relationships with young Hollywood are just as tight: perhaps Joseph Gordon-Levitt or Daniel Radcliffe, who tap-danced in the most recent show opener, could be persuaded to step into center stage as hosts?
“Craig and Neil have great relationships, a sense of showmanship, and a passion for our Academy,” Academy CEO Dawn Hudson said in a statement announcing their return. “And they’re a pleasure to work with. All perfect qualities for our show.”
READ FULL STORY