• Ong-bak star and martial arts expert Tony Jaa is in talks to make his English-language and studio film debut in James Wan’s Fast and Furious 7. He’ll be joining the large returning ensemble that includes Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham, Tyrese, and Paul Walker. Chris Morgan, who penned the first, fifth, and sixth movies, is currently working on the script, but there’s no word on the character Jaa will be portraying. This seventh installment of the franchise is being fast-tracked for a July 11, 2014 release. [THR]
Tag: Neill Blomkamp (1-10 of 15)
Sony Pictures and MRC will release Neill Blomkamp’s sci-fi robot pic Chappie on March 27, 2015, the studio announced Tuesday.
Blomkamp, whose second feature directorial effort, Elysium, is currently playing in theaters, is re-teaming with his longtime friend and collaborator Sharlto Copley for the project. Copley, who stars in District 9 and Elysium, will voice the part of Chappie, a robot that gets abducted by a pair of gangsters, played by Die Antwoord’s Ninja and Yolandi Visser. Production is expected to begin this fall.
In Elysium, director Neill Blomkamp’s political science-fiction follow-up to 2009′s District 9, Matt Damon plays a poor factory drone whose only chance at survival is reaching the utopian satellite that orbits Earth where the world’s richest people now reside in luxury. He only has five days to live after being exposed to radiation during a workplace accident, but Elysium isn’t about to share its medical technology with some Earthling peon. Jodie Foster plays Elysium’s frosty bureaucrat who sics her henchman, played by District 9‘s Sharlto Copley, on the desperate renegades.
In this scene, Copley’s heavily-armed team drops in on Damon and his crew. The mission is clear: extermination, and though the hero survives, one poor revolutionary isn’t fast enough to outrun Elysium’s explosive weapon-technology. It’s a gruesome sight, worth a warning in advance. Watch it below: READ FULL STORY
In the new movie Elysium (opening Aug. 9), written and directed by Neill Blomkamp (District 9), Jodie Foster plays a sort of Secretary of Defense for Elysium, an elite satellite hovering above Earth, where the wealthy live apart from the wretched human life on a poor and polluted planet. Her character, Secretary Delacourt, is power-hungry and decidedly anti-immigrant. READ FULL STORY
Ever since Neill Blomkamp’s District 9 earned $211 million worldwide and scored an Oscar nomination for Best Picture, fans have been clamoring for a sequel. There have been some promising signs, including a report from Wired magazine that Blomkamp, 33, has written an 18-page treatment for District 10. But, unfortunately, it may be a long, long time before he gets around to it. Blomkamp begins shooting Chappie, based on his 2004 short film Tetra Vaal, in Johannesburg in September, followed by a micro-budget ribald comedy, Mild Oats. Plus, he’s frankly not in the head space for sequels and franchises just yet. “I’m not actively trying to avoid them,” he tells EW exclusively. “The problem is that I have so many ideas for films that I feel like I’m not going to have enough time to do them all before I die. If I don’t get a chance to at least try making some of those first, I’ll feel like I’ve let myself down.”
Still, there’s hope. If Blomkamp does decide to sequel-ize any of his films, District 9 is at the top of his list. “The world of District 9 has so many hilarious, bizarre, interesting, thematically linked things, and there are multiple stories to tell in that world that are all legitimate.” To do it, he’s just going to have to run out of other ideas, first. “The equation becomes: am I not excited enough about other ideas that I’m willing to return to District 9. And at the moment, I have other things that I’m really into.”
• Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionaire) is in early talks to star in Neill Blomkamp’s Chappie, a sci-fi film with social and political themes based on his short Tertra Vaal about a police force of robots. The British actor is a regular on The Newsroom and will be reprising his role as Neal in the second season of the HBO show, which starts up again on July 14. [THR]
Perhaps this trailer doesn’t reveal much more of the movie than what we already know: Elysium is for the rich, Earth is for the poor. Matt Damon is ripped. He also gets a kick-ass exo-skeleton to help him in his mission to get to Elysium to save his life after radiation exposure.
But damn, if I didn’t get chills watching Damon try to save humanity, Sharlto Copley as a crazy soldier, and Jodie Foster’s pursed lips as she attempts to thwart Damon. And that last line, uttered by William Fichtner — “You have no idea what you’re doing” — suggests there are implications we trailer watchers won’t even estimate until we see the film.
Watch the new trailer below:
READ FULL STORY
Matt Damon sci-fi movie Elysium doesn’t hit theaters until August, but until then you can feast your eyes on newly released footage from the film in the latest trailer.
While previous trailers and reports have given us a good idea of what the future of Elysium looks like, this newest preview provides some more details on what Damon’s character, Max, is after and what his life is like before he decides to break into Elysium, the space station for the rich orbiting above a poverty-stricken Earth.
There’s more footage of Max fighting villain Kruger (Sharlto Copley, teaming up again with his District 9 director, Neill Blomkamp), and there’s also Max serving up smart-ass, mocking responses to a robot. Looks like this guy has a little bit of snark.
Check out the trailer below: READ FULL STORY
Sharlto Copley is teaming up with Neill Blomkamp for a third time.
The South African actor will play the lead role in Blomkamp’s next film, Chappie, Copley’s reps tell EW. Copley first teased the news in brief Facebook post this weekend.
Blomkamp is keeping details about the project largely under wraps, but he has described it as “a science-fiction comedy” in an “unusual setting.” Details on Copley’s character are also still under wraps. READ FULL STORY
First, check out the new trailer for the upcoming sci-fi movie Elysium from District 9 director Neill Blomkamp below — we have been waiting since last year’s Comic-Con for a full scale look at the film, which imagines the rich escaping to a space station called Elysium, leaving a poverty-stricken Earth behind. Then see below for answers to your burning questions about the Matt Damon-starrer, which will be released in theaters on August 9.
READ FULL STORY
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' role for Callum Keith Rennie
- Eleanor Parker, 'Sound of Music' baroness, dies
- 'Mentalist': A (SPOILER!) for Lisbon?
- Channing Tatum in 'Jupiter Ascending': First trailer
- Britney's 'Chaotic' revisited: 5 cringeworthy clips
- 'Duck Dynasty' Xmas preview: 'Let's go get a hog!'
- 'Community' season 5: First trailer is here!
- Sundance 2014 Premieres: What's playing
- 'Community': Check out the first trailer for season 5 -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
- Bob Barker returning to 'Price Is Right,' first promo
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race': Check out the sickening season 6 supertease and meet the queens -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
- New 'Fifty Shades' pic shows Ana kissing Christian -- PHOTO
- 'The Amazing Race' recap: The Final Frontier