• Oscar-winner Nicole Kidman (The Hours), Guy Pearce (Prometheus) and Hugo Weaving (The Hobbit) will all star in the Australian thriller Strangerland, about a couple whose two teenage children go missing in the Australian desert. Kim Farrant will direct the film from a script by Fiona Seres and Michael Kinirons. [THR]
Tag: Nicole Kidman (1-10 of 25)
Casting Net: Jamie Foxx in talks to play Martin Luther King, Jr., Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly to re-team, and more movie news
• Oscar-winning actor Jamie Foxx (Ray) is in talks to play Martin Luther King, Jr. in a biopic for Warner Bros. and DreamWorks. Fellow Oscar-winner and biographical film enthusiast Oliver Stone (Born on the Fourth of July) is also in talks to direct. Chasing Mavericks scribe Kario Salem penned the most recent version of the script, and Steven Spielberg will reportedly produce. [The Wrap]
Grace of Monaco, the Grace Kelly biopic starring Nicole Kidman, has been bumped out of the fall slate to a Spring 2014 release just one week after the trailer debuted online, THR reports.
The movie, directed by Olivier Dahan (La Vie en Rose) had been originally set for a limited release on Nov. 27, which would place the film solidly amongst other awards season hopefuls — including the other Princess biopic, Diana (out Nov. 1).
The Railway Man tells the story of Eric Lomax (Firth), a veteran tormented by memories of his time in Japanese captivity in Singapore during World War II, forced to work on the brutal Thai-Burma Railway. Based on Lomax’s memoir, the film chronicles his return to find his torturer, Nagase (Hiroyuki Sanada), and his attempts to overcome his trauma.
But the war drama is also wrapped in a love story, with Nicole Kidman co-starring as Patti, Lomax’s wife, who encourages him to face his demons. The film’s first trailer below splices their story together with Lomax’s pursuit of Nagase and his flashbacks to wartime.
“I have suffered much, but I know you have suffered too, and you mean everything to me,” Lomax says in a voice-over. “Some time the hating has to stop.”
With the elaborate sets, award-winning cast, and sweeping score by David Hirschfelder, the film looks to be another moving epic (dare we say Oscar contender?) based on this footage.
The Railway Man also stars Stellan Skarsgaard, Jeremy Irvine, Sam Reid, and Tanroh Ishida. Directed by Jonathan Teplitzky, the film premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival and does not yet have a set release date.
READ FULL STORY
Eight luminaries of eight different nationalities have joined the jury of the Cannes Film Festival, led this year for the first time by Steven Spielberg — including Austrian actor (and two-time Oscar winner) Christoph Waltz, Taiwanese director (and two-time Oscar winner) Ang Lee, and Australian actress (and… one-time Oscar winner) Nicole Kidman.
The jury is rounded out by five film vets from five more countries: Indian actress Vidya Balan, a Bollywood star who will also celebrate 100 years of the genre at a gala screening of Bombay Talkies; Japanese director Naomi Kawase, whose films have won Cannes’s Camera d’Or (in 1997) and Grand Prize (2007); British screenwriter/director Lynne Ramsay, whose film We Need to Talk About Kevin won praise at Cannes in 2011; French actor Daniel Auteuil, a BAFTA winner who snagged Cannes’s Best Actor award in 1996; and Cristian Mungiu, a three-time Cannes winner for 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days, as well as last year’s Best Screenplay winner at the fest.
Baz Luhrmann’s The Great Gatsby, starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Carey Mulligan, will open Cannes on May 15. It will close with a screening of Zulu, a political thriller starring Orlando Bloom and Forest Whitaker, on May 26.
Get ready to salivate over the costumes.
The Weinstein Company has just announced the acquisition of biopic Grace of Monaco, a film about Grace Kelly. Directed by Olivier Dahan (La Vie En Rose), the movie stars Nicole Kidman as Kelly and Tim Roth as Kelly’s husband, Prince Rainier III. The film also features Milo Ventimiglia, Frank Langella, Parker Posey and Paz Vega.
“More than thirty years after her death, Grace Kelly’s story continues to be one of insurmountable allure and we are so happy Olivier Dahan has brought it new life,” said TWC co-chairman Harvey Weinstein in a release. “As always, Nicole Kidman’s commanding performance is the perfect portrait of a woman who was not only royalty, but who also remains a legend of the silver screen and fashion icon.”
The film will have a theatrical release Dec. 27.
Tribeca Film Festival announces new Richard Linklater, David Gordon Green films for line-up
Nicole Kidman channels Grace Kelly’s regal style
Grace Kelly movie in the works. Who should play the princess?
EW has confirmed that previous Best Actress Oscar winners Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, Halle Berry, and Sandra Bullock will present at this year’s Academy Awards. Witherspoon won in 2005 for Walk the Line, Kidman won for The Hours in 2002, Berry won for Monster’s Ball in 2001, and Bullock won for The Blind Side in 2009.
The Academy Awards will air on ABC Sunday, February 24.
Inside the Best Picture nominees: A deep dive into ‘Lincoln’
Oscars 2013: See the Academy’s special edition posters for the nine Best Picture nominees
Oscars: ‘Chicago’ cast to reunite as Academy Award presenters
Family? It’s complicated … but also bloody, at least when it comes to Oldboy director Park Chan-wook’s thriller Stoker, which stars Nicole Kidman and Mia Wasikowska.
Case in point, check out this exclusive one-sheet poster for the film that features an unusual holiday-esque portrait warning “DO NOT DISTURB THE FAMILY” with a blood splattered twist.
- 'Amazing Race' recap: And the winners are...
- 'Gravity,' 'Her' share L.A. Critics' top prize
- '12 Years a Slave': Best Pic for Boston, N.Y. critics
- 'SNL' recap: 'Anchorman 2' and the boys
- 'Frozen' is weekend's No. 1 movie: $31.6M
- Kennedy Center Honors: D.C. salutes five artists
- 'Bonnie & Clyde': Nico Vega goes 'Bang Bang'
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' lingerie line in Sweden
- 'The Amazing Race' recap: The Final Frontier
- 'Homeland' recap: Loose Cannons
- 'SNL' recap: Paul Rudd brings a parade of surprise guest stars -- VIDEO
- Los Angeles Film Critics Awards: 'Gravity' ties with 'Her' for Best Picture, James Franco ties with Jared Leto
- 'Once Upon a Time' recap: Pain and Pan-ic