• The Vampire Academy‘s Zoey Deutch will star opposite Tyson Ritter (The House Bunny), Wyatt Russell (Cowboys & Aliens), and William Hurt (Winter’s Tale) in the upcoming Gregg Allman biopic Midnight Rider. Deutch will play Mae, who becomes a rock ‘n’ roll groupie in the hopes of ditching her small-town life. She later becomes the love interest of Gregg Allman in the early years of The Allman Brothers Band. The film is being adapted for the big screen by producer/director Randall Miller and screenwriter Jody Savin (Bottle Shock) from Allman’s biography, My Cross to Bear, which the singer co-wrote with Alan Light. Ritter will play a young Allman, while Hurt will portray him in his later years. [The Wrap]
Tag: Olivia Williams (1-3 of 3)
• He might be King of the North to some, but Game of Thrones actor Richard Madden (he plays Robb Stark on the HBO series) is about to reach a whole new demographic when he takes on the role of Prince Charming in Disney’s live-action adaptation of Cinderella. Downton Abbey’s Lily James will play the title role in the Kenneth Branagh-directed film, with Cate Blanchett as the wicked stepmother. With a script from Aline Brosh McKenna (The Devil Wears Prada), we’re starting to get excited to see what Branagh does with the film, and to finally see Madden in a less stressful role.
• It’s quite a departure from her work in Anna Karenina and A Royal Affair, but up and coming actress Alicia Vikander is in talks to star opposite Tom Cruise and Armie Hammer in The Man From U.N.C.L.E. The Swedish actress would play a British agent. For those of you who might remember the television series, don’t worry, you’re not losing your mind — this character is a new addition. Vikander can also be seen in The Seventh Son (out October 18) and The Fifth Estate (out November 13). [THR]
Casting Net: Kevin Costner lands mentor role in Jack Ryan reboot. Plus: Kat Dennings, Olivia Williams
• Kevin Costner has accepted the role of the mentor to Jack Ryan, played by Chris Pine, in the upcoming prequel and reboot of the CIA analyst franchise (previous films include The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games), reports Deadline.com. Kenneth Branagh is directing, and also stars as the film’s main bad guy in a script co-written by author Tom Clancy. A deal in the works also brings Costner in on the Jack Ryan spinoff Without Remorse. [Deadline]
• Kat Dennings (2 Broke Girls) will reprise her role as tech savvy Darcy Lewis in the Nordic god sequel Thor: The Dark World. Alan Taylor is directing from a script co-written by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. The Marvel film is set for release on Nov. 8, 2013. [Deadline]
• Olivia Williams (Joss Whedon’s Dollhouse) joins the cast of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s action thriller Ten, previously known as Breacher, about 10 U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration agents who pull off a heist, then are murdered, one by one. David Ayer is directing from a script by Skip Woods (Swordfish). Williams plays a detective investigating the deaths. [THR]
Casting Net: Bradley Cooper looks to play detective in ‘Bad Blood and Trouble.’ Plus: John Goodman, Rafe Spall, Megan Park
Casting Net: Carey Mulligan to hunt for rich husband in ‘Nancy and Danny.’ Plus: Tom Hardy, Zoe Saldana, Joy Bryant
Latest Videos in Movies
- Emmys 2014: Who will win...and who should
- 'Big Brother'; 'Project Runway': TV recaps
- 'Parks and Rec' gag reel: Don't miss your chance to see Ron Swanson dance
- 'St. Vincent' director's long road to Bill Murray: 'Can you meet me at LAX in an hour?'
- 'Criminal Minds' plans tribute to Meshach Taylor
- Jonathan Lipnicki, a.k.a. the 'Jerry Maguire' kid, has some fun in 'You Used To Be Cute'
- 13 tell-tale signs it's from Frank Miller
- 'Simpsons' writers share 15 tips to survive your 12-day marathon session
- 'Dating Naked' cast member sues after VH1 showed her naked
- 'Spider-Woman #1' has a special variant cover that is causing some controversy for some reason
- 'Mythbusters' reveal Comic-Con costume, show how to make Indiana Jones' bullwhip
- 'Dating Naked' trailer: And you thought Tinder was brutal (NSFW)
- Former child star Jonathan Lipnicki is all grown up in 'You Used To Be Cute'