It may have been a winning night for Jason Segel’s friend and “Man or Muppet” composer Bret McKenzie, but for Segel the ceremony proved bumpy. The Muppets and How I Met Your Mother star was seen cracking up with Best Supporting Actor nominee Jonah Hill and Muppets scribe Nick Stoller when Segel told EW that some buttons had accidentally popped off his tuxedo shirt earlier this evening. His solution? Double-stick tape. “Every woman at the Oscars apparently has double-stick tape,” Stoller laughed. But from which red carpet attendee did Segel get his quick fix?
Tag: oscars 2012 (1-4 of 4)
Oscars on the Scene: 'Vice Principal' Tom Hanks polices the backstage halls as Billy Crystal counts down to the show
As the clock ticks down toward show time, the backstage corridors of the Academy Awards become like celebrity pinball.
It starts out quiet. One or two stars roll in while a whole galaxy of them circulates out on the red carpet. Among the first to grace the hushed wings of the stage is someone not typically associated with formality and decorum — Zach Galifianakis.
As part of its pre-show, ABC has situated Entertainment Weekly‘s own Managing Editor Jess Cagle in the backstage area to catch celebrities who have managed to steer clear of the massive, paparazzi-filled red carpet. READ FULL STORY
Sure, Brad, George, and that silver fox Christopher Plummer captured the Academy’s attention for their strong performances in 2011, but the days leading up to tonight’s ceremony have been dominated by discussion of a more Method performance. News emerged four days ago that Sacha Baron Cohen wanted to walk the red carpet as his character from The Dictator. A day later, the Academy had threatened to deny him entrance, and Cohen was quick to respond. After much haggling, it appears that Cohen has been granted his wish, as he just emerged from a limousine in Dictator drag. Will he create a stir (as he’s wont to do)? Or will it be a stunt-that-wasn’t? More on the story as it develops…
UPDATE: Victory! “The Dictator” just dropped an urn full of “Kim Jong-il’s” ashes on a clearly annoyed Ryan Seacrest. Giuliana Rancic said, “Do you know how lucky you are? Out of every reporter here, he chose you,” though Seacrest seemed less than pleased. For her part, E! correspondent Kelly Osbourne could only laugh in disbelief. Seacrest took several moments to clean the ashes off, finally receiving a towel from a nearby reporter from another outlet. Seacrest: “Now you know why this isn’t taped. Anything can happen, and it most certainly did — all over my lapel.”
UPDATE: Seacrest seems to have gained his composure, as he just just handed a pinch of ashes (or Bisquick, he’s claiming) to Antonio Banderas and Melanie Griffith. Next up, Tina Fey sympathetically called him “a victim of comedy.” Seacrest: “I’m in the trenches.” And then, Jennifer Lopez approached to ask, “What happened?” That’s what we in the biz calling opening up a can of worms (or ashes, as it were).
UPDATE: E! has posted the video online. READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- Ryan Murphy reveals an 'American Horror Story' secret: Seasons 'are all connected'
- 'Bad Judge,' 'A to Z' to be canceled by NBC
- Billy Bob Thornton's 'Big Bang Theory' cameo: How it happened
- 'Once Upon a Time' bosses answer Yes/No/Can't Say (or more) to your Twitter Q's
- 'SNL' lights up Sia's 'Chandelier,' more of the week's best music on TV
- 'Amazing Race' recap: 'I Feel Like I Just Kissed a Goat'
- 'Showrunners' documentary: Insights from Kurt Sutter, Hart Hanson, Mike Kelley
- 'Interstellar' review: Awe-fully sappy
- NBC to cancel 'Bad Judge,' 'A to Z' with zombie twist
- Ryan Murphy on the different seasons of 'American Horror Story': 'They're all connected'
- The Hot Seat: 'Once Upon a Time' bosses answer burning questions
- How 'The Big Bang Theory' scored Billy Bob Thornton for a surprise guest spot
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Scandal,' 'Walking Dead, 'Blacklist' and more