Guillermo del Toro is always thinking of his next project, and as he completes work on his 2015 film Crimson Peak, the director is creating Pacific Rim 2 with a third installment already in mind.
Tag: Pacific Rim 2 (1-3 of 3)
Guillermo del Toro is a pretty busy man right now, with The Strain set to air on Sunday and Pacific Rim 2 in the works, but that won’t stop the director from taking a little time out of his day for passion projects.
In an interview with Collider, del Toro revealed that he’s planning a “small movie,” one that’s in black and white and “really, really bizarre,” before he gets to pre-production on the sure-to-be-even-bigger sequel to last summer’s blockbuster.
Pacific Rim wasn’t necessarily the box-office leviathan that Legendary and Universal had hoped, but it grossed a healthy $411 million around the globe. In particular, it made $111.9 million in China alone—more than it made in the U.S.—so it was no shock when the two movie companies announced that Pacific Rim 2 is officially in the works and will arrive in theaters on April 7, 2017.
In a YouTube video, director Guillermo del Toro said that “we’re going to develop a new animated series for Pacific Rim, continue the comic-book series that we started with Year Zero, and most importantly, create a sequel for the film. I’m working on this with Zak Penn and Travis Beacham, and we are very happy to be bringing you more Kaijus, more Jaegers, kicking each other’s butt.”
Beacham co-wrote the first Pacific Rim, and Penn scripted X-Men: The Last Stand and The Incredible Hulk.
Watch the announcement below.
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Survivor' season finale recap: The right one won
- 'Fargo' season 2 scoop, including a peek at a page from the premiere's script
- 'Game of Thrones' refashions Arya's look
- 'Survivor' season finale: 5 Q's for Jeff Probst and a deleted scene
- 'Survivor' season 30 scoop: Jeff Probst shares new details on 'Worlds Apart'
- 'Ascension' finale: Lost in space, or 'Lost' in space?
- 'The Sing-Off' holiday special: One night, six groups, 800 blazers--and the winner is...
- David Letterman takes on the Sony hack by reading 'leaked emails'
- 'Survivor' host Jeff Probst reacts to the winner, Reed's harsh comments, and the entire season
- 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur' finale: And the winner is...
- 'Survivor' season finale recap: The Right Person Won
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart': Jeff Probst gives exclusive intel on NEXT season
- 'Ascension' finale review: Lost in space, or 'Lost' in space?