British cartoonist and artist Ralph Steadman is probably best known for his squiggly lined collaborations with Hunter S. Thompson, whose early works of gonzo journalism in the 1970s Steadman illustrated in magazines and books. Steadman is the focus of Charlie Paul’s new documentary For No Good Reason, which plays next week at the Toronto film festival before a release in U.S. theaters sometime early next year. In this exclusive clip (after the jump), Steadman recalls his very first assignment with Thompson, covering the 1970 Kentucky Derby for a now-defunct magazine called Scanlan’s Monthly. “I think what he saw in this, our connection, was somebody that somehow saw the thing in pictures as he saw it in words,” Steadman recalls. “And that seemed to me to be part of the whole chemistry of it, that our chemistry there made gonzo possible.” And yes, that is the familiar voice of Johnny Depp, a longtime friend of Steadman’s who appears frequently in For No Good Reason, narrating passages from Thompson’s Scanlan’s piece, “The Kentucky Derby Is Decadent and Depraved.” READ FULL STORY
Tag: Ralph Steadman (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Movies
- 20 most compelling actor/director teams now
- 'Big Brother' recap: Final three houseguests are...
- Sarah Paulson on 'AHS: Freak Show': 'something happens in the very first episode that's crazy'
- 'Red Band Society' debuts: First impressions?
- 'Top Chef Duels' recap: Nyesha Arrington vs. Jennifer Carroll
- Kunal Nayyar sings Boyz II Men on 'Queen Latifah Show': Sneak peek
- 'This Is Where I Leave You' review: Reunited and it feels so...schmaltzy
- 'Survivor' scouting report: John Rocker's plan if he's recognized?
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- '7th Heaven' cast, minus Ruthie, reunites
- Frankie of 'Big Brother' says he does not regret pushing the Rewind button and wants to marry Zach
- 'Big Brother' recap: Red Dead Beast Mode
- 'AHS' star Sarah Paulson calls conjoined twins her 'craziest' role yet