• Oscar-winners Reese Witherspoon (Walk the Line) and Robert De Niro (Raging Bull, The Godfather: Part II) are in negotiations to star in The Intern for writer-director Nancy Meyers (It’s Complicated). In the story, the founder of a thriving fashion website (Witherspoon) clashes with a man in the company’s Senior Internship Program (De Niro). Despite the generational differences, the two eventually bond. None have worked together on a feature film before. Tina Fey was attached to star in the project in 2012. [Deadline]
Tag: Reese Witherspoon (11-20 of 40)
• Disney has taken on Happily Ever After, a comedy with a fairy tale twist from Don’t Trust the B—- creator Nahnatchka Khan. Reese Witherspoon is attached to star in the story that brings us up to date with a prince and princess 10 years after they’ve met in the usually fairy tale way and now have to do some non fairy-tale-type work on their relationship. [THR]
• Only Pierce Brosnan can make a movie about I.T. consultants sounds sexy. He’ll play a book publisher who takes on an I.T. consultant in the aptly named I.T., directed by Stefano Sollima. [Deadline]
READ FULL STORY
Oscar winner Colin Firth turns private detective in Canadian director Atom Egoyan’s new fact-based drama Devil’s Knot, which premieres at the Toronto Film Festival on Sept. 8. Firth stars with Reese Witherspoon, Amy Ryan, Dane DeHaan, Stephen Moyer, and Mireille Enos in the film, which is based on the notorious case of three heavy-metal-loving teenagers from West Memphis, Ark., who were convicted of the 1993 murder of three 8-year-old boys despite a lack of evidence. The so-called West Memphis Three became the subject of Paradise Lost, a series of three award-winning documentaries by Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky, as well as a Peter Jackson-produced doc called West of Memphis that won them the attention of a host of celebrity and criminal-justice advocates. In 2011, the trio was freed from prison under an Alford plea that allowed them to proclaim their innocence while technically upholding their murder convictions (and exempting the state from civil penalties). READ FULL STORY
Fox Searchlight Pictures has acquired the worldwide rights to distribute the film adaptation of Cheryl Strayed’s Wild, starring Reese Witherspoon. The best-selling memoir follows Strayed, still reeling from the death of her mother and the failure of her marriage, as she undertakes a pretty epic hike (1100 miles!) on the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mojave Desert to Washington State. Not only is she alone, she’s also an inexperienced hiker. It’s the anti-Eat, Pray, Love.
Casting Net: Sofia Vergara, Reese Witherspoon to star in 'Don't Mess With Texas'; Plus Christoph Waltz
• Sofia Vergara (Modern Family) and Reese Witherspoon (Sweet Home Alabama) will show off their comedy chops together in Don’t Mess With Texas, a project Universal just won in a fierce bidding battle among studios. Like Sweet Home Alabama, the film is a chance for Witherspoon to get in touch with her southern roots (though not quite in her home state of Tennessee, where she was raised). Don’t Mess With Texas will follow a cop and a prisoner who are on the run in Texas from crooked cops. [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
• Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty) is reportedly in talks to join Christopher Nolan’s (The Dark Knight Rises) time-travel epic, Interstellar. She’d be joining a cast that currently includes Oscar-winner Anne Hathaway and Matthew McConaughey. Since she’s started getting more significant roles, Chastain has never really ventured into pure science fiction territory (we’re not counting Take Shelter). She famously dropped out of Oblivion when offered the Zero Dark Thirty role, so we’re excited for her to take on a new kind of film. The two-time Oscar nominee (The Help, Zero Dark Thirty) is currently filming Liv Ullmann’s adaptation of Miss Julie and will soon start work on Guillermo del Toro’s Crimson Peak. [Deadline]
• Ethan Hawke (Before Sunset) has signed on to join Neil LaBute’s (Possession) thriller The Geography of Hope. The film will tell the story of two crooks (Hawke and Ed Harris) in the 1970s who are hiding out in Baja after messing up a job. They find two women to keep them interested while they’re in hiding, but eventually things get complicated. Vera Farmiga (Bates Motel) and Emmanuelle Devos (Coco Before Chanel) star as the women. [Screen Daily]
Casting Net: Kiefer Sutherland to play villain in disaster movie 'Pompeii'; Plus, Kristen Wiig, Reese Witherspoon, more
• Kiefer Sutherland is in final talks to play the villain in Paul W.S. Anderson‘s (Resident Evil) take on the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Consider him the Billy Zane of Pompeii, the history-based disaster romance movie that somehow didn’t get made when Titanic and Pearl Harbor were reeling in the big bucks at the box office. Sutherland joins Kit Harington (Game of Thrones), Emily Browning (Sucker Punch), and Jared Harris (Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows) in the film that began production in Toronto last week. [THR]
• Christina Applegate isn’t finding any shortage of work after her sudden departure from NBC’s Up All Night. The comedienne is in final negotiations to star in Vacation, a reboot of the franchise that began with 1983′s National Lampoon’s Vacation. Also set to appear in the film is Ed Helms, who will play Rusty, Anthony Michael Hall‘s role in the original. [THR] READ FULL STORY
EW has confirmed that previous Best Actress Oscar winners Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, Halle Berry, and Sandra Bullock will present at this year’s Academy Awards. Witherspoon won in 2005 for Walk the Line, Kidman won for The Hours in 2002, Berry won for Monster’s Ball in 2001, and Bullock won for The Blind Side in 2009.
The Academy Awards will air on ABC Sunday, February 24.
Inside the Best Picture nominees: A deep dive into ‘Lincoln’
Oscars 2013: See the Academy’s special edition posters for the nine Best Picture nominees
Oscars: ‘Chicago’ cast to reunite as Academy Award presenters
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Ant-Man' Comic-Con poster: First Look
- 'Suits': Rick Hoffman talks Louis' dangerous moves
- Comic-Con 2014: Doc Jensen's picks
- 'Arrow' First Look: Colton Haynes as Arsenal
- Comic-Con '14: 8 buzzworthy TV panels
- Comic-Con '14: 10 hot movies in San Diego
- 'Once Upon a Time': 'Storybrooke has frozen over'
- Comic-Con '14: Spotlight on comics/videogames
- Robert Downey Jr. on 'Iron Man 4': 'Why give up the belt?'
- 'The Walking Dead': See Carol, Judith and Rick in exclusive new season 5 images
- Every 'The Simpsons' episode is going online
- See Carol, Judith, and Rick of 'The Walking Dead' in new season 5 images
- See Colton Haynes as Arsenal in 'Arrow' season 3