R, 1 HR., 55 MINS.
Jon Favreau spent most of the past decade directing the cinematic equivalent of two cheeseburgers (with extra cheese) in the form of the first two Iron Man blockbusters and one expensively overcooked turkey in the shape of Cowboys & Aliens. Now the former indie-scene hotshot (remember Swingers?) is attempting to prove he’s still capable of whipping up a character-driven comedy via the more modestly budgeted Chef.
READ FULL STORY
Tag: Reese Witherspoon (11-20 of 47)
The true story of the West Memphis Three has been told many times in many different forms, notably the trio of documentaries from filmmakers Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky, who helped shed light on the miscarriage of justice that convicted three Arkansas teenagers for the ritual killing of three young boys in 1993.
On May 9, the haunting tale comes to theaters and digital home video with Devil’s Knot, Atom Egoyan’s star-studded feature with Reese Witherspoon as the mother of one of the murdered boys and Colin Firth as the investigator who senses that the truth had been lost in the town’s rush to judgement. Three troubled teenagers were convicted of committing the murders as part of a Satanic ritual that the prosecution and the media used to whip-up paranoia and speculation.
One of Hollywood’s biggest young stars, Dane DeHaan, who stars in the upcoming Spider-Man sequel, plays the minor role of Chris Morgan. While the police quickly targeted the three major suspects — Damien Echols, Jessie Misskelley Jr., and Jason Baldwin — Morgan was briefly questioned since he knew the victims, had a history of substance abuse, and had suspiciously left the state shortly after the crime.
In the exclusive clip below, Morgan takes a polygraph test to clear his name. READ FULL STORY
Devil’s Knot, Atom Egoyan’s docudrama about the West Memphis Three, will arrive in U.S. theaters and on VOD on May 9. Starring Reese Witherspoon and Colin Firth, the movie recounts the tragic true story of three missing boys in the religious community of Memphis, Ark., and the frenzied rush to justice that condemned three teenagers to prison for a horrific crime. The West Memphis Three — Damien Echols, Jesse Misskelley Jr., and Jason Baldwin — were convicted in 1994 of murdering the three boys, in part because of hyped suspicions that the trio were satanists. Doubts about the three men’s guilt were widespread, though, and their plight became a cause célèbre that resulted in several documentaries that shed new light on the case.
In the film, Witherspoon plays the mother of one of the victims, but her anguish gives way to doubts as community fears and hysteria gain momentum leading up to the trial. Firth plays Ron Lax, the private investigator who becomes suspicious of the community’s rush to judgment and pokes holes in the evidence used to convict the teenagers.
Click below for more photos from the movie: READ FULL STORY
The day before the Oscars, smaller films are honored during the annual Film Independent Spirit Awards, and EW has exclusively learned the first round of this year’s presenters.
Matthew McConaughey, Reese Witherspoon, Rosario Dawson, Angela Bassett, and Andy Samberg will all present at the 29th annual ceremony, which takes place Saturday, March 1. Hosted by actor/comedian Patton Oswalt, the daytime luncheon will broadcast later that evening at 10 p.m. ET on IFC.
12 Years a Slave leads all films with seven nominations; Nebraska is right behind with six. Both films are in the running for Best Feature, alongside All Is Lost, Frances Ha, and Inside Llewyn Davis. McConaughey is also nominated for his performance in Dallas Buyers Club. Other nominees include Oscar front-runners Cate Blanchett, Jared Leto, and Lupita Nyong’o.
Now in its 29th year, the Film Independent Spirit Awards is an annual celebration honoring artist-driven films made without a big Hollywood budget by filmmakers who embody independence and originality.
EW is inside all the Golden Globes parties tonight. Check out our reports from inside all the carousing and celebrating. Check back often for updates and follow us on Twitter at #EWglobes.
READ FULL STORY
In the summer of 1995, a novice 26-year-old hiker named Cheryl Strayed set out to tackle the formidable Pacific Coast Trail in an attempt to rid herself of the demons that were plaguing her life: drug use, a recent divorce, and the death of her mother. Last fall, Reese Witherspoon tread upon some of the same ground to retell Strayed’s story for the film adaptation of Strayed’s memoir, Wild, which Fox Searchlight will release later this year. Director Jean-Marc Vallee (Dallas Buyers Club) tried to re-create the hiker’s journey as faithfully as possible, shooting mostly chronologically, using natural light, and banning mirrors in Witherspoon’s makeup trailer.
“She went method with the hair and no makeup,” says Vallee. “We wanted to see Reese out there, not vain at all, not concerned with her image, and she went for it. Wait until you see her in the film. It’s a new Reese.”
READ FULL STORY
• Oscar-winners Reese Witherspoon (Walk the Line) and Robert De Niro (Raging Bull, The Godfather: Part II) are in negotiations to star in The Intern for writer-director Nancy Meyers (It’s Complicated). In the story, the founder of a thriving fashion website (Witherspoon) clashes with a man in the company’s Senior Internship Program (De Niro). Despite the generational differences, the two eventually bond. None have worked together on a feature film before. Tina Fey was attached to star in the project in 2012. [Deadline]
• Disney has taken on Happily Ever After, a comedy with a fairy tale twist from Don’t Trust the B—- creator Nahnatchka Khan. Reese Witherspoon is attached to star in the story that brings us up to date with a prince and princess 10 years after they’ve met in the usually fairy tale way and now have to do some non fairy-tale-type work on their relationship. [THR]
• Only Pierce Brosnan can make a movie about I.T. consultants sounds sexy. He’ll play a book publisher who takes on an I.T. consultant in the aptly named I.T., directed by Stefano Sollima. [Deadline]
READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' boss talks THAT killer twist
- 'Scandal': Kerry Washington and costars on midseason finale shocker
- 'How to Get Away With Murder'; 'Scandal'; 'Grey's Anatomy'; 'Big Bang Theory'; 'Gracepoint'; more TV recaps
- 'Parenthood'; 'Vampire Diaries'; 'Reign'; 'Project Runway All-Stars'; more TV recaps
- Jon Hamm returning to 'Parks and Recreation'
- 'Cups' returns in 'Pitch Perfect 2' trailer
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' does Nirvana: Watch Evan Peters sing 'Come As You Are'
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Jimmy Smits talks Nero's heartbreaking scenes
- 'How to Get Away With Murder' recap: 'Kill Me, Kill Me, Kill Me'
- AMC to debut 'Better Call Saul' with two-night event
- 'AHS: Freak Show' Exclusive: Watch Evan Peters perform Nirvana's 'Come As You Are'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' star Jimmy Smits talks Nero's heartbreaking scenes
- 'Scandal' postmortem: What's next after the shocking disappearance?