Like Something’s Gotta Give and As Good as It Gets, And So it Goes comes straight from the senior rom-com title blender. But the most crucial element of this trailer for the romantic comedy, starring Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton, is this phrase: “From the Director of The Bucket List.” This is another AARP-empowerment tale starring some of your parents’ favorite actors — and though it might not draw the attention of the under-30 crowd, it’s one of those movies that might make you wake up one day in August and say, “Whoa. When did And So It Goes get to $75 million?” READ FULL STORY
Tag: Rob Reiner (1-4 of 4)
The National Board of Review announced its 2013 honorees on Dec. 4, with Her, Nebraska, and Fruitvale Station claiming some of the top prizes. That meant the only real suspense last night at the organization’s New York City gala was who would win the crowd and earn the best howls. Rob Reiner nearly stole the show, but it was Meryl Streep who brought down the house at Cipriani’s on 42nd Street. Streep, presenting the Best Actress award to Emma Thompson for Saving Mr. Banks, left her friend “nauseous with gratitude” with a heart-felt introduction that also took swipes at Walt Disney and the Disney brand. READ FULL STORY
“If you came tonight hoping to watch The Princess Bride completely uninterrupted, you really should just leave now.”
This was Up in the Air and Juno filmmaker Jason Reitman introducing last night’s live-commentary screening of the 1987 fairy-tale satire at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. As the film played out on the big screen, Reitman sat in the theater with director Rob Reiner interviewing him about the action onscreen.
“Tonight we’re trying an experiment,” Reitman told the crowd. “I thought there must be a way to take a film everyone has seen a million times, that we love, that occupies such a strong part of our hearts, and somehow get more access to what it was like actually making this film. That’s where this idea came from.”
Reiner started out by asking: “How many people here are under 30? Let me see. Raise your hand.” About a third of the moviegoers raised their hands. “Okay, so you are used to multitasking and not paying attention to anything anyway. This should be fine for you! You’ll watch, you’ll talk, you’ll text … You can play a video game. Whatever!”
“We’ll start watching the film and then, uh, see what comes out!”
Here’s what did:
Casting Net: Jim Parsons, Rihanna to give voice to 'Happy Smekday!' Plus: Jason Schwartzman, Rob Reiner, Edgar Ramirez
• Since we’re discussing DreamWorks Animation projects, Jason Schwartzman has been offered to star opposite Chloe Moretz in the studio’s next film, Trolls. [Deadline]
• Rob Reiner is in negotiations to join Martin Scorsese‘s The Wolf of Wall Street, playing the father of living-on-the-edge trader Jordan Belfort (Leonardo DiCaprio). Not quite the same resemblance as Martin and Charlie Sheen in Wall Street, but, sure, why not? [THR]
• Edgar Ramirez (Carlos) will play famed 19th century Latin America revolutionary Simón Bolívar in the Venezuelan-Spanish co-production Libertador. Bolívar was instrumental in securing independence from Spain for Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, and Bolivia. Danny Houston (X-Men Origins: Wolverine), Gary Lewis (Billy Elliot), and María Valverde (Three Meters Above the Sky) will costar. Albert Arvelo Mendoza (Cyrano Fernández) will direct from the script by Timothy J. Sexton (Children of Men). [Variety]
• Ryan Phillipe will make his directorial debut and star in Shreveport, about a past-his-prime movie star who is kidnapped and tortured while shooting an indie film in the deep south. Phillipe also penned the script with Joe Gossett. [Variety]
Casting Net: Jon Hamm may face off against Larry David. Plus: Jon Bernthal, Amber Heard
Casting Net: Tony winner James Corden to play Paul Potts. Plus: Alex Pettyfer, Cam Gigandet, Ed Helms
Casting Net: Jean Dujardin to work with ‘The Wolf of Wall Street.’ Plus: Adam Levine, Benicio Del Toro, Dermot Mulroney
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Sons of Anarchy' ending: Kurt Sutter says...
- 'Bachelorette' recap: 'The Men Tell All'
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' tone?
- Kacy Catanzaro talks 'Ninja Warrior' whirlwind
- Mark Ruffalo talks potential for a 'Hulk' movie
- 'Simpsons': Dates for character death, 'Futurama'
- 'Walking Dead': Why Norman Reedus feared for Daryl
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': 8 new photos
- 'Two and a Half Men' final season to tackle 'gay' adoption 624
- Captain America is black, Thor is a woman, and Iron Man has a new costume: Witness Avengers NOW! 503
- 'Doctor Who': Which episode should newbies check out first? 419
- 'Lost cause' 320
- 'Dating Naked' reveals disappointingly small ratings 284
- Robert Downey, Jr. tops Forbes' list of highest paid actors once again
- 'Sons of Anarchy' creator says series ending not yet decided
- J.K. Rowling plans to write more about Cormoran Strike than Harry Potter
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' to be less campy than 'Coven,' FX chief says
- 'Simpsons' character will die in season 26 premiere; 'Futurama' crossover to air in November