Tag: Robert Downey Jr. (11-20 of 68)
Jon Favreau’s Chef will be the opening-night world premiere at the South by Southwest Film Festival on March 7, 2014. The film, directed by Favreau and co-starring Scarlett Johansson, Robert Downey Jr., Dustin Hoffman, and Sofia Vergara, is the story of a chef (Favreau) who swaps a successful career in a popular L.A. restaurant for a job running a food-truck in Miami. “Jon Favreau’s wonderfully entertaining return to independent filmmaking works beautifully as our 2014 opening-night film, with his sharp and funny take on the world of food, artistry, and family in the age of social media,“ said Janet Pierson, head of SXSW Film.
The 21st SXSW Festival, which runs March 7-15, will also host the world premiere of Veronica Mars, the Kickstarter-backed adaptation of the cult TV series. Click below for additional highlights from the festival, which also includes Fox’s new Cosmos miniseries with Neil deGrasse Tyson. READ FULL STORY
Jennifer Lawrence, Robert Downey Jr., and Jimmy Fallon will present trophies at the Golden Globe Awards on Jan. 12. The trio were among the first wave of presenters announced by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association for the 71st annual Globes. In addition, they will be joined by Kevin Bacon, Julie Bowen, Laura Dern, Colin Farrell, Mila Kunis, Uma Thurman, and Reese Witherspoon.
Tina Fey and Amy Poehler will host the ceremony, which airs at 8 p.m. ET Sunday on NBC.
Avengers: Age of Ultron has its psycho robot.
James Spader has signed on to play the villain in writer-director Joss Whedon’s upcoming superhero sequel, Marvel announced today. READ FULL STORY
Picture a big pile of money in that metal hand.
Robert Downey Jr. has reached a two-picture deal with Marvel Studios to appear in The Avengers 2 and The Avengers 3 — but notably not for a possible Iron Man 4.
• If Jon Favreau’s Chef was ever in danger of receiving adequate financing, he can probably breathe easy now. Robert Downey Jr. has signed on to join the independent comedy. Downey Jr. and Favreau have worked together for years on the Iron Man franchise. Favreau plays the role of Happy Hogan, and also directed the first two films. In Chef, which Favreau wrote — and will direct and star in — a recently fired chef tries to regain control of his craft by opening a food truck. Modern Family’s Sofia Vergara is also set to star. [Deadline]
• Kate Winslet will star in the period film, The Dressmaker, about a woman who returns to the town that ostracized her as a child. After charming everyone with ideas of couture and women’s liberation, she begins to exact revenge. Based on Rosalie Ham’s novel, Jocelyn Moorhouse (How to Make an American Quilt) will direct the project. [Screen Daily]
Rhodey isn’t Tony Stark’s only sidekick in Iron Man 3. In the threequel, Tony, while stranded in a small, snow-covered Tennessee town, gets some help from a science-savvy kid named Harley, played by young actor Ty Simpkins. As seen in the EW exclusive photo above, Harley encounters Tony when his suit is rather worse for wear.
When EW met up with Simpkins on the Disney lot to talk about Iron Man 3, the 11-year-old donned a T-shirt covered with Stormtroopers on skateboards, and tucked back on his head was the pair of Stark Industries 3-D glasses he got at the movie’s premiere. “I got all of them,” he proudly declared of his Marvel-themed 3-D glasses collection.
Read on to learn more about the real-life alter ego of Iron Man’s kid sidekick.
Shane Black and 'Iron Man 3': Who knew that the high-concept screenwriter of 'Lethal Weapon' would turn out to be a thrilling director?
If Iron Man 3 had been made by a young director who very few people had heard of, his name would now be on everyone’s lips in Hollywood, and not just because he delivered a big hit movie. They’d be talking about his eagerness and speed and raw talent, the dark flash of his visual style, the zigzag precision of his flair of violence, his way of making every performance count. They’d be talking about how this young director had infused a franchise blockbuster — a Part 3, no less, which usually means that a series, no matter how popular it is, is running low on creative octane — with the quality that so many comic-book movies have lacked: the feeling that what we’re seeing actually matters, that something is at stake beyond the global box-office grosses. READ FULL STORY
Promos for Iron Man 3 tout the movie as a grimmer, bleaker tale of the billionaire playboy superhero, but the newest clip from the film shows there’s no need to worry that Tony Stark will be without some triumphant save-the-day moments and signature sarcastic quips.
In the new clip that Marvel released Monday, Tony Stark attempts a mid-air rescue of passengers and crew who have fallen out of a crash-bound Air Force One. Check it out below: READ FULL STORY
The last time we saw Tony Stark, he was chilling with his homies eating some well-deserved shawarma after slamming the door on some parallel-universe baddies. One year later, Marvel is poised to enter Phase II of its once scoffed-about plan to rewrite the rules of the superhero franchise, and it’s only right that Iron Man leads the way when Iron Man 3 premieres tonight in Los Angeles. Captain America might be the First Avenger, but it was Iron Man who got the ball rolling at the box office in 2008 and remains the expanded universe’s biggest attraction.
Tonight, Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, and more will walk the red carpet at the El Capitan Theater, and you can watch it live-streamed right here beginning at 8:30 p.m. ET.
Fans have seen glimpses of the evil Mandarin (Ben Kingsley) in the trailers, but it’s time to finally see what he has planned for our billionaire hero. Of equal interest will be the clever hints and sly Easter eggs that impact the greater Marvel universe and all its sub-franchises…
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Manhattan Love Story' is first fall show to be canceled
- Jack Bruce, bassist for Cream, dies at 71
- 'Constantine' series premiere; 'Amazing Race'; more TV recaps
- Regina Spektor's 'Love Me or Leave Me' from 'Boardwalk Empire': Hear it
- Monica Potter describes her perfect 'Parenthood' ending
- Benedict Cumberbatch tries to walk like Beyonce; let the memes begin...
- 'Justified' season 6 teaser welcomes Raylan back for his farewell season
- Peter Jackson lets us peek at his prep work for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'