• Oscar-winner Dustin Hoffman (Rain Man) and Golden Globe-winner Steve Buscemi (Boardwalk Empire) are set to join Adam Sandler in The Cobbler. Plot details are being kept secret, but The Cobbler is the brainchild of Win Win and The Station Agent writer-director Thomas McCarthy. [The Wrap]
Tag: Ron Livingston (1-6 of 6)
With a cast including Anna Kendrick, Olivia Wilde, Jake Johnson, and Ron Livingston, it was only a matter of time before Joe Swanberg’s largely improvised comedy Drinking Buddies would get a distributor. After premiering at the SXSW Film Festival, Magnolia Pictures announced that it had acquired the North American rights to the film. It’s expected to hit theaters later this year.
Set in Chicago’s Logan Square neighborhood, Drinking Buddies tells the story of a pair of brewery (Wilde and Johnson) employees who flirt their way from friendship to…something else. Innocent enough, until you realize that both are in relationships. Kendrick and Livingston play the poor fools who can’t compete with craft beer-induced love.
Casting Net: Eva Green to star in 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For'; Plus David Cronenberg, Felicity Jones, Sean Penn
• Eva Green (Casino Royale) has signed on to star as Ava Lord in Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller’s Sin City: A Dame to Kill For. In a press release announcing the news, Rodriquez and Miller said “Ava Lord is one of the most deadly and fascinating residents of Sin City. From the start, we knew that the actor would need to be able to embody the multifaceted characteristics of this femme fatale and we found that in Eva Green.” Julia Garner (Martha Marcy May Marlene) will also join the large cast as a stripper named Marcy. Rodriguez and Miller are currently filming in Austin for an October 4 release. [Deadline]
• David Cronenberg (A Dangerous Method) is teaming up with Don DeLillo again for the The Body Artist, DeLillo’s dreamy 2001 novel about the ordinariness of everyday life….and ghosts. Luca Guadagnino (I Am Love) is set to direct, though, and Cronenberg will actually step in front of the camera to star in the film alongside Isabelle Huppert (Amour) and Denis Lavant (Beau Travail, Holy Motors). Cronenberg recently directed an adaptation of DeLillo’s novel Cosmopolis. Even though he’s best known for his directing work, Cronenberg has acted in a handful of projects including some of his own (The Fly, Videodrome) and for some others too (Alias, To Die For). [Variety]
Lynn Shelton’s latest film has a touchy subject. Literally. The writer-director of Humpday and Your Sister’s Sister is re-teaming with Rosemarie DeWitt — who just scored a Spirit nom for Sister — on Touchy Feely, a drama about a massage therapist who develops an aversion to bodily contact. Shelton spoke exclusively with EW about the project, which she says goes into more dramatic territory that her previous projects. ”It doesn’t have this rollicky, bantering feel that my last couple films have had,” she says. “It definitely has laughs, but it really is a drama. It’s really about attempting to live in your own skin, both literally and metaphorically.” READ FULL STORY
Channing Tatum, Rosario Dawson, and the rest of young Hollywood star in high school reunion film '10 Years' -- EXCLUSIVE POSTER
One day, while hanging out on the Charleston, S.C. set of the 2010 Nicholas Sparks weepie Dear John, star Channing Tatum got to talking with costar Scott Porter (Friday Night Lights) and the film’s screenwriter, Jamie Linden (We Are Marshall). Porter and Linden were old high school buddies, and they’d just come back from their 10 year reunion. “Channing didn’t go to his,” Linden tells EW, “so he had a bunch of questions.” Soon, producers Reid Carolin, Marty Bowen, and Wyck Godfrey joined in.
Sometimes, filmmaking is just that simple: Stars + writer + producers + personal experience = The indie ensemble comedy 10 Years, written and directed by Linden, and starring Tatum, Porter, and a who’s who cavalcade of young Hollywood. EW has an exclusive first look at the poster for the film, which opens Sept. 14 — check it out below: READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Angela Bassett, Aaron Eckhart join 'Olympus Has Fallen.' Plus: Derek Luke, Ron Livingston, Kristen Schaal
• Derek Luke (Captain America: The First Avenger) will costar with Paula Patton in Baggage Claim, about a flight attendant (Patton) who goes on a month-long search for a potential husband. Director David Talbert (First Sunday) also adapted the screenplay from his novel. [Variety]
• Ron Livingston has signed onto The Pretty One, about a girl (Zoe Kazan) mistaken for her “perfect” identical twin — who happens to be dead. Jake Johnson (Fox’s New Girl) costars; first-time feature director Jenée LaMarque also penned the screenplay. [Deadline]
• Boardwalk Empire‘s Michael Kenneth Williams will play a rebellious slave in Twelve Years a Slave, the pre-Civil War drama starring Chiwetel Ejiofor (Salt) as a free man who is kidnapped into slavery. Brad Pitt, Michael Fassbender, and Paul Dano costar in the project, co-written by John Ridely (Red Tails) and Steve McQueen (Shame), and directed by McQueen. [Deadline]
• Kristen Schaal (NBC’s 30 Rock) will voice an orangutan in Cloudy 2: Revenge of the Leftovers, the sequel to the 2009 underrated animated comedy Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Anna Faris, Bill Hader, and Andy Samberg will also reprise their roles in the film, which explores the fallout from the events of the first film, i.e. the rise of self-aware creatures made of food. Sounds delicious! Cody Cameron and Kris Pearn will direct. [THR]
Casting Net: Colin Firth, Cate Blanchett attached to Barbra Streisand-directed drama. Plus: Charlie Sheen, Reese Witherspoon, Maya Rudolph
Casting Net: Jim Parsons, Rihanna to give voice to ‘Happy Smekday!’ Plus: Jason Schwartzman, Rob Reiner, Edgar Ramirez
Casting Net: Jon Hamm may face off against Larry David. Plus: Jon Bernthal, Amber Heard
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Bachelor' finale: Talk about Juan Pablo's choice!
- 'Saving Mr. Banks': A key scene we didn't see
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey': Marcia Gay Harden's inside dish
- Mike Judge previews 'Silicon Valley'
- 'Simpsons': Inside Sunday's Marcia Wallace tribute
- 'Orphan Black': New 60-second trailer
- 'True Detective' creator Nic Pizzolatto talks finale
- 'True Detective' season 1 finale: Our verdict
- 'True Detective' season finale: What happened? -- SPOILERS
- 'True Detective' finale review: Truth, justice, and the satisfying…
- New 'Game of Thrones' trailer: 'Do you know what they did to my brother? And my mother?' -- VIDEO
- '24: Live Another Day': Jack Bauer warns of a 'world war' -- VIDEO
- Justin Bieber winks, refuses to talk Selena Gomez in deposition -- VIDEO