• Brie Larson (Short Term 12) is set to star as Ma in the adaptation of Emma Donoghue‘s 2010 best-seller Room about a kidnapped woman living in captivity with her 5-year-old son. Donohue wrote the script for director Lenny Abrahamson (What Richard Did, Frank). Lisa Schwarzbaum gave the book an A- and wrote: “Though the story’s chilling circumstances reflect the horrors endured by tabloid-famous abductees, Donoghue avoids all sensationalism. Instead, she gracefully distills what it means to be a mother — and what it’s like for a child whose entire world measures just 11 x 11.” [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
Tag: Salma Hayek (1-8 of 8)
Casting Net: Tom Hardy in talks to join Johnny Depp in 'Black Mass'; Plus, Will Smith, Saoirse Ronan, more
• Tom Hardy (Inception) is in early talks to join Johnny Depp (who is now officially signed on again) in the Whitey Bulger pic Black Mass. Hardy would play FBI Agent John Connolly, a childhood friend of Bulger’s who gets in trouble when he reveals inside information to Bulger about an impending indictment. Scott Cooper (Out of the Furnace, Crazy Heart) recently agreed to direct the film. [Deadline]
Casting Net: Salma Hayek shows Pierce Brosnan 'How To Make Love Like an Englishman,' Plus; Lake Bell, more
• Salma Hayek (Frida) has joined the cast of the indie sex comedy How To Make Love Like An Englishman, about a hedonistic, romantic poetry professor at Cambridge (Pierce Brosnan) who questions his lifestyle after he meets the perfect woman (Hayek, of course). The only complicating factor is that he’s just impregnated her stepsister, a grad student played by Jessica Alba. Tom Vaughan (What Happens in Vegas, Starter for 10) is directing the comedy, which is slated to begin shooting this fall. [Deadline]
Casting Net: Russell Crowe in talks to direct and star in post-WWI pic; Plus, Alison Brie's inter-dimensional romantic comedy, more
• Russell Crowe (Man of Steel) is in talks to direct and star in The Water Diviner, a 1919-set film about an Australian man searching for his sons in Turkey following the Battle of Gallipoli — the Allied attempt, and failure, to capture the Ottoman capital. The Oscar winner’s next projects include Akiva Goldsman’s Winter’s Tale, and Darren Aronofsky’s Noah. [Deadline]
• The Salma Hayek-produced animated feature, The Prophet, has lined up a pretty outstanding voice cast that includes Liam Neeson, John Krasinski, Quvenzhané Wallis, Frank Langella, and Alfred Molina. Roger Allers (The Lion King) wrote the script based on Khalil Girbran’s 1923 book, and will direct the narrative, with a number of international directors lending their hands to direct “chapters” based on Girban’s 26 essays. Hayek also voices a character. [Deadline]
• If Jon Favreau’s Chef was ever in danger of receiving adequate financing, he can probably breathe easy now. Robert Downey Jr. has signed on to join the independent comedy. Downey Jr. and Favreau have worked together for years on the Iron Man franchise. Favreau plays the role of Happy Hogan, and also directed the first two films. In Chef, which Favreau wrote — and will direct and star in — a recently fired chef tries to regain control of his craft by opening a food truck. Modern Family’s Sofia Vergara is also set to star. [Deadline]
• Kate Winslet will star in the period film, The Dressmaker, about a woman who returns to the town that ostracized her as a child. After charming everyone with ideas of couture and women’s liberation, she begins to exact revenge. Based on Rosalie Ham’s novel, Jocelyn Moorhouse (How to Make an American Quilt) will direct the project. [Screen Daily]
Wondering who will wind up on stage at the Indie Oscars? This much we know: Jason Bateman, Salma Hayek, Common (LUV), and New Girl star Jake Johnson (Safety Not Guaranteed) will be among the presenters at the 2013 Film Independent Spirit Awards, EW has learned. Two cast members from Parks and Recreation, Rashida Jones (Celeste and Jesse Forever) and Aubrey Plaza (Safety Not Guaranteed), also will log some podium time at the Santa Monica-based ceremony.
The awards show, which airs Feb. 23 (IFC, 10 p.m.), will be hosted by SNL alum Andy Samberg, who stars with Jones in Celeste and Jesse Forever. Silver Linings Playbook and Moonrise Kingdom lead all films with five nominations each.
Spirit Awards reaction: Jack Black, Matthew McConaughey, Benh Zeitlin, David O. Russell, more weigh in
Independent Spirit Award nominees
Rashida Jones talks ‘Celeste and Jesse Forever’ — EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
How do you fix America’s schools? In the new trailer for Here Comes the Boom, the answer is a few blows to the face.
Kevin James plays Scott Voss, a complacent high school biology teacher past his glory days. When the school cancels all extracurricular activities due to a budget deficit, Scott tries to raise thousands of dollars to save them by learning mixed martial arts and becoming a human punching bag.
Through cage matches, dislocated limbs, and a hard-to-get Salma Hayek, Scott also teaches his students a lesson about not being a quitter. Or at least how to make an awesome science class rocket experiment. Watch the trailer:
Savages — director Oliver Stone’s adaptation of Don Winslow’s best-selling drug thriller — is chockablock with macho posturing and violent bravado, but the story is driven by two very different women. First, there’s Elena (Salma Hayek), the queen of a powerful Mexican drug cartel who wants to muscle in on the dope dealing territory of SoCal pot growers Ben (Aaron Johnson) and Chon (Taylor Kitsch). And second, there’s O (Blake Lively), Ben and Chon’s shared girlfriend who Elena kidnaps in order to get her way.
In two exclusive featurettes, Hayek and Lively talk about their characters, what makes them tick, and the strange connection they share. Check out their stories below: READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Star Wars Rebels' First Look: Inquisitor in action
- 'Interstellar' brings Christopher Nolan to Comic-Con
- 'Leprechaun: Origins': First Look at troublemaker
- 'Hannibal' yuks it up: Season 2 blooper reel
- Misha Collins' Scavenger Hunt: No record is safe?
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey': First trailer's here
- 'Fifty Shades' trailer: Let's take a closer look
- 'Reign' cast: Can you ID the 'stealth nerd'?
- 'Hannibal' new blooper reel plus season 3 scoop
- Here's how 'Supernatural' star Misha Collins is breaking world records
- 'Downton Abbey' looks to bounce back from season 4 (Updated)
- Christopher Nolan and Matthew McConaughey make Comic-Con debut with 'Interstellar'
- The 'Fifty Shades of Grey' trailer has arrived