After finding out how sound helped move us to tears in Star Trek Into Darkness and was created for the suits in Iron Man 3, the third installment of our new series Sounds Like a Summer Movie takes a look at how supervising sound editor Peter Brown, who’s been with the Fast and the Furious franchise since Tokyo Drift and has an Emmy for his work on the “Blackwater” episode of Game of Thrones, got engines revving for Fast & Furious 6. Warning: Major spoilers ahead. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Sounds like a Summer Movie (1-3 of 3)
After exploring how children’s electric cars and remote-controlled jets were instrumental for creating the sounds of Iron Man’s suit in Iron Man 3, the second installment of our new series Sounds Like a Summer Movie takes a look at how music is used for dramatic impact in Star Trek Into Darkness. And it is used a lot: Sound mixer Will Files, who first worked with director J.J. Abrams on Cloverfield, estimates there’s music over 75 to 80 percent of the film. Once again, Abrams used longtime collaborator Michael Giacchino, who won an Oscar for scoring Up. “J.J. and Michael take a pretty classic approach to scoring a film in that it’s more about the emotional beats in a scene and trying to figure out which character’s perspective you are trying to play in that moment, who you are trying to connect the audience with,” Files says. “Because of that, you end up with something that is not quite as generically action movie-oriented. You have a score that’s much more lyrical because it’s playing these broader strokes of emotion rather than the minutia of the actual action that’s happening on the screen.” READ FULL STORY
With Iron Man 3 officially kicking off the summer box office race, it’s only fitting that the film also launch our new series Sounds like a Summer Movie in which we find out how the sounds that bring blockbusters to life were created. In the case of Iron Man 3, it involved stealth recording at Toys ‘R’ Us, a visit to the firing range, and some remote-controlled jets. Warning: light spoilers ahead. READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Star Wars Rebels' First Look: Inquisitor in action
- 'Interstellar' brings Christopher Nolan to Comic-Con
- 'Leprechaun: Origins': First Look at troublemaker
- 'Hannibal' yuks it up: Season 2 blooper reel
- Misha Collins' Scavenger Hunt: No record is safe?
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey': First trailer's here
- 'Fifty Shades' trailer: Let's take a closer look
- 'Reign' cast: Can you ID the 'stealth nerd'?
- Here's how 'Supernatural' star Misha Collins is breaking world records
- 'Hannibal' new blooper reel plus season 3 scoop
- 'Downton Abbey' looks to bounce back from season 4 (Updated)
- The 'Fifty Shades of Grey' trailer has arrived
- Christopher Nolan and Matthew McConaughey make Comic-Con debut with 'Interstellar'