Just because Russell Brand hasn’t recently starred in a big comedy like Get Him to the Greek 2: Getting Greeker doesn’t mean he hasn’t been busy. Director Ondi Timoner has documented a new phase of Brand’s career, and audiences will have a chance to see those changes in a new documentary.
Tag: SXSW Film Festival (1-4 of 4)
For gospel and R&B singer Mavis Staples, her music was more than just her profession. It became a large part of the performer’s contribution to the American civil rights movement of the 1960s.
In his directorial feature debut Jimi: All Is By My Side, John Ridley attempts the seemingly impossible. By zeroing in on the year before guitar giant Jimi Hendrix (played with grace by Outkast’s Andre Benjamin) skyrocketed into fame, Ridley — who just won the Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar for 12 Years a Slave — tells the man’s story without the aid of his legendary music. (Hendrix’s estate refused, like it did with past directors such as Paul Greengrass and the Hughes brothers, to grant rights to the music.) Asked how Ridley will battle the reflexive disappointment Hendrix fans might feel about the prospect of a biopic without “Hey Joe” or “Purple Haze,” he says you simply don’t. “If there are folks who just want the music, there are record stores and they should absolutely go out and do that,” said Ridley in anticipation of the U.S. premiere Wednesday night at SXSW. “You can’t battle folks who come in with a certain mind-set about a film. There’s always going to be folks, like look at 12 Years, I wish I could go to a lot of folks and say, ‘I’m not trying to preach to you about history, I’m not trying to indict you if you happen to be white, I’m not trying to victimize if you’re black, it’s a beautiful story.'” READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Parks and Recreation' First Look: It's Treat Yo Self 2017
- 'X-Men' TV series in early discussion stage at Fox
- 'Birdman' wins Best Cast, Movies, at SAG Awards; see full list of honorees
- Emma Watson cast as Belle in live-action musical 'Beauty and the Beast'
- David Tennant cast as villain in Netflix's 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Miss Universe 2015: 10 out of this world moments
- 'SNL' host poll: How'd Blake Shelton do?
- SAG Awards 2015: Red carpet arrivals