Inside Movies Breaking Movie News and Scoops | Movie Reviews

Tag: The Bourne Legacy (1-10 of 23)

Next 'Bourne' sequel adding to Jeremy Renner's 'Legacy'

The legacy of Jason Bourne will continue… but likely without Jason Bourne.

Universal has hired screenwriter Anthony Peckham (Sherlock Holmes) to pen the next chapter in the Bourne franchise, which will remain focused on Jeremy Renner’s drug-enhanced super-soldier, Aaron Cross. (Deadline initially reported the news.) Renner took the reins from Matt Damon after the original Bourne trilogy concluded with 2007′s Bourne Ultimatum. Last year’s Bourne Legacy, which pitted Cross against Edward Norton’s shady government handler, was a modest hit, grossing $276 million worldwide. Though that didn’t equal Damon’s output in Ultimatum ($443 million), it was more than the original 2002 franchise-starter.
READ FULL STORY

Matt Damon on (maybe) returning to 'Bourne' and playing Liberace's lover in 'Behind the Candelabra'

Matt-Damon

When HBO airs Behind the Candelabra on May 26, the world will get to see Matt Damon play Liberace’s drug-addled, surgically enhanced lover – a role about as far from Jason Bourne as it gets.

But Damon, who sat down with costar Michael Douglas to talk with EW for this week’s cover story, says he isn’t ruling out a return to his blockbuster spy franchise despite the fact that he handed the reins over to Jeremy Renner in last year’s The Bourne Legacy. That movie rebooted the series by introducing the idea of a world with multiple Bourne-style secret agents — which means the original Jason Bourne could still be out there somewhere.

Tony Gilroy, who wrote the first one and the second one, came up with an idea: I think they look at it as kind of the reverse of X-Men,” says Damon, who opted not to sign on for a fourth film because he and director Paul Greengrass “couldn’t figure out” a script. “Whereas with X-Men, you get a giant bunch of superheroes and then do the Wolverine spinoff, I think Tony pitched it as, ‘OK, we started with the Wolverine spinoff. Now let’s try to make the X-Men. So I’ll create all these other programs, and you can have your evergreen that way. There’ll be other agents.’”

So does this mean Damon and Renner might share the screen in a Bourne movie someday? READ FULL STORY

Universal exec talks next 'Bourne' movie, teases possibility of a Matt Damon comeback

Last summer’s The Bourne Legacy wasn’t a megahit. It grossed about $275 million globally, significantly less than The Bourne Ultimatum. But the film did prove that audiences will show up to watch a Bourne movie that does not, in fact, feature Jason Bourne — good news for Universal, a studio which has had a difficult time launching franchises that don’t have the word Fast in the title. That might be changing, though: The studio had a big 2012, and in an interview with the Hollywood Reporter, Chairman Adam Fogelson talks about the upcoming Despicable Me sequel and the plans for a Snow White and the Huntsman follow-up, which will indeed feature both Snow White and the Huntsman (but will not feature director Rupert Sanders.) READ FULL STORY

Matt Damon bearish on 'Bourne' future: Even Jonah Nolan couldn't crack it!

I keep telling myself this is how Matt Damon negotiates.

While promoting his upcoming movie, Promised Land, Damon hasn’t hemmed or hawed when asked about the future of the Bourne franchise. For the longest time, Damon had an easy out — claiming not to have seen The Bourne Legacy, the summer side-boot that starred Jeremy Renner and stretched the franchise in new, drug-enhanced super-soldier directions. But last week, he dropped the news that he had seen it… and that it didn’t exactly open the door for his return. “I think it’s going to make it harder for us to make another one,” he told IndieWire. “I love Jeremy and I’m a huge fan of him and I know him personally and love him outside of work, too. But … I could never see Bourne teaming up with anyone.” READ FULL STORY

EXCLUSIVE: 'The Bourne Legacy' coming to DVD & Blu-ray on...

There was never just one Bourne DVD.

Universal will announce today that The Bourne Legacy is coming to DVD, Blu-ray Combo Pack, On Demand, and digital download December 11, 2012. The thriller follows agent Aaron Cross (Jeremy Renner) as he fights to survive an epic, twisty game of cat-and-mouse — following in the footsteps of his predecessor, Jason Bourne. Edward Norton and Rachel Weisz also star. Special features include a variety of making-of featurettes, a set of deleted scenes, and commentary from director/co-writer Tony Gilroy.

Prepare yourself for the mission ahead with this exclusive behind-the-scenes clip, in which Weisz reveals that she had never ridden a motorcycle before hopping behind Renner to film a memorable high-speed scene: “The good thing about it was, I was just absolutely terrified,” the Oscar winner recalls. “And so was my character — so I didn’t have to act.”

READ FULL STORY

Box office report: 'The Possession' leads the worst weekend in over a decade

Chances are, you weren’t at the movies this weekend. Not a single film at the box office reached $10 million. Call it the curse of The Oogieloves.

The Top 12 films grossed a depressingly low $51.9 million — the worst Top 12 total since Sept. 5-7, 2008, when Nicolas Cage flop Bangkok Dangerous led the chart with $7.7 million and the Top 12 films earned $50.3 million.

Even more distressingly, this weekend marked the lowest cumulative ticket sales in over a decade. The last frame to notch worse overall ticket sales was Sept. 21-23, 2001 — two weekends after the 9/11 attacks — when only one new wide release entered theaters: Mariah Carey’s infamous bomb Glitter. (Keep in mind, as final weekend results come in on Monday, things could change. Stay tuned.)

Lionsgate’s $14 million horror entry The Possession once again topped the chart with $9.5 million. The film, which earned a “B” CinemaScore grade last week, enjoyed a better than expected hold (it dropped 46 percent) — especially since its debut results were inflated by it bowing on a holiday weekend. After ten days, The Possession has earned $33.3 million, and by the end of its run, it may possess close to $50 million total. READ FULL STORY

Box office update: 'The Possession' tops Friday with $2.9 million on an utterly awful weekend

For the second weekend in a row, Lionsgate’s $14 million horror film The Possession will top the box office.

That’s not necessarily a testament to the film’s quality, though — it’s a sign that moviegoers have been trained to avoid the theater in early September, and that this weekend’s newcomers are true box office misfires. In fact, this weekend will likely be the first time in more than a decade (since Sept. 21-23, 2001, when Hardball topped the chart) that the Top 12 movies didn’t cumulatively earn at least $50 million. Heck, they’ll be lucky to make $40 million!

The Possession earned $2.9 million on Friday — a healthy (for a horror movie) drop of 52 percent from its opening Friday. The Possession may scare up about $9 million by Sunday, easily giving it a second weekend in first place and a running total of $32.8 million. READ FULL STORY

Box office report: 'Expendables 2' pummels puny newcomers with $13.5 million; Anti-Obama doc '2016' breaks out

You know you’ve reached the summer box office doldrums when not a single new wide release is able to break $7 million over the Friday-to-Sunday period.

Such was the case this weekend, when the top 12 movies grossed a cumulative $83.4 million, which makes this the least attended frame at the box office since December 9-11, 2011, when the top 12 films earned just $67.8 million.

Once again, The Expendables 2 led the chart, dropping 53 percent from its opening frame to $13.5 million — the lowest total for a No. 1 movie since that aforementioned December frame when New Year’s Eve topped the chart with a sad $13.0 million.

After ten days, The Expendables 2, which carries a reported $100 million budget, has grossed $52.3 million and is running well behind the total of the original Expendables, which had grossed $65.4 million at the same point in its run. The Lionsgate action entry may finish with just under $80 million.

READ FULL STORY

Box office update: '2016: Obama's America' tops newcomers on Friday, 'Expendables 2' headed to weekend win

obamas-america-2016.jpg

With the exception of one ultra-buzzy political documentary, this weekend at the box office is shaping up to be an unremarkable one.

The Expendables 2 maintained the top spot on Friday, shooting up $3.9 million worth of tickets, which should lead to a $12 million weekend — a 58 percent decline from last week, when it topped the chart. By Sunday, the action film will have about $51 million total. READ FULL STORY

Box office preview: 'Expendables 2' to outpace 'Premium Rush' on low-gear weekend

The dog days of the summer box office are upon us.

Late August is the time of the year when studios traditionally dump projects that have been shelved, moved, and deemed either misguided or unmarketable. You know, the perceived stinkers.

The same is true this year. This weekend brings three new films — bike thriller Premium Rush, comedy Hit and Run, and horror title The Apparition — none of which seem headed to impressive grosses. There’s also an indie film headed into a wide expansion, the political documentary 2016: Obama’s America, which has a pretty good shot at beating all of them.

Here’s how the box office may shake out:

1. The Expendables 2 – $12 million
The meager slate of newcomers should give The Expendables a clear shot at topping the chart for a second weekend in a row following its $28.6 million bow. The action film may fall hard by 55-60 percent, but without any serious competition, it should be able to retain the box office crown with about $12 million.  READ FULL STORY

Latest Videos in Movies

Advertisement

TV Recaps

Powered by WordPress.com VIP