Pretty soon there may be more films about cult movie The Room than people who actually saw the hilariously awful movie when it was originally released in 2003. We exaggerate—but not by much. James and Dave Franco are set to star in a big-screen adaptation of Room star Greg Sestero’s book The Disaster Artist while Sestero’s fellow cast member Robyn Paris recently launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund a mockumentary called The Room Actors: Where Are They Now? And that’s not all! Grab your cutlery, folks, because a trailer for a real documentary about writer-director-star Tommy Wiseau’s passion project called Room Full of Spoons has just been released. You can check out the clip below.
Tag: The Room (1-6 of 6)
What do you do if you wind up being in one of the most hilariously terrible films of all time? You make a comedy about it. That’s the exact approach being actress-turned-filmmaker Robyn Paris is taking. More than a decade after she appeared in writer-director-star Tommy Wiseau’s infamously awful cult film The Room, Paris has now launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund a Christopher Guest-style mockumentary about what happened to the cast after shooting concluded.
James Franco has found the man to play actor Greg Sestero in his forthcoming adaptation of Sestero‘s 2013 book The Disaster Artist, which details the author’s involvement in the cult film The Room. Not that Franco had to look very far: According to 3 News, Franco’s brother Dave attended a Los Angeles screening of The Room over the weekend and, during a Q&A with the film’s mercurial writer-director-star Tommy Wiseau, asked him, “How do you feel about me playing Greg Sestero in the movie?” Wiseau responded by declaring, “That’s what I say: It’s a good choice.” James Franco seemed to confirm the casting news when he tweeted a photograph of Wiseau with his brother, which you can see above.
Oh hi, James Franco.
According to pal Seth Rogen, the perpetually misunderstood actor may soon portray Tommy Wiseau, the mysterious Hollywood outsider who wrote, directed, and starred in The Room, the spectacularly bad 2003 film that became a revered cult classic.
Here’s some back story: Franco’s public fascination with Wiseau seems to have begun with an in-depth piece he wrote for Vice back in December (it even features a pic of Franco Photoshopped as the Mickey Rourke-esque Wiseau). In it, he calls the wannabe filmmaker “ageless, muscled, sweet, and scary; he is part vampire, part Hollywood dreamer, part gangster, part Ed Wood, and super lonely.” Franco attempts to dissect the artist desperate to unleash his vision at any cost — The Room reportedly cost $6 million to make — while using Wiseau’s tale as a parable for his own creative drive. READ FULL STORY
Can the making of a bad film make for a good one? That is the question raised by the news — reported by Deadline — that James Franco is to direct an adaptation of The Disaster Artist, actor Greg Sestero’s memoir about his time spent starring in the so-bad-it’s-awesome cult movie The Room.
'The Room' in 3-D: Tommy Wiseau talks exclusively about adding another dimension to his cult movie's sex scenes
Tommy Wiseau has told EW he will theatrically release a 3-D version of his cult movie The Room, either at the end of 2011 or in 2012. “The process is very detail-oriented,” said the actor-writer-director. “But we want to do it because I’m obsessed about 3-D right now, if you ask me.”
The famously mysterious filmmaker has no plans to alter the film for the 3-D version which means the ever-growing army of Room devotees can look forward to the sight of Wiseau’s derriere in three dimensions during the film’s lengthy sex scenes. “My bottom will have to be in 3-D because I’m not changing anything,” he explained. “So you’ll be very close.” READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Arrow'; 'The 100'; 'American Idol'; more TV recaps
- 'The Americans'; 'Top Chef'; 'Broad City'; more TV recaps
- Super Bowl ads of 2015: Watch the early arrivals here
- Super Bowl battle of the banned ads: Pick your all-time fave in our bracket showdown
- Chris Pratt and Aubrey Plaza talk 'Parks and Rec': Andy and April spin-off 'behind the bedroom door'?
- 'Party Down South' season 3 peek: Meet Hannah, the new hell-raiser
- Angels and Airwaves premieres half-animated video for 'Tunnels'
- 'Bachelor' seminar: Prof. Jimmy Kimmel breaks down Chris Soules' response to Britt
- Jimmy Kimmel breaks down Chris Soules' speech from 'The Bachelor'
- 'Game of Thrones' creators react to seeing their show in IMAX for first time -- exclusive
- 'Parks and Recreation' stars Chris Pratt and Aubrey Plaza pitch the Andy-April spin-off that goes…
- The Super Bowl ads of 2015: Watch them here
- Daryl, Eugene, and Rosita look super-intense in new 'Walking Dead' photos -- exclusive