was not part of that history? Yes, but it was.” READ FULL STORY
Tag: the torture debate (1-1 of 1)
A couple of weeks ago, when the heat over Zero Dark Thirty and the issue of torture was already percolating (it still hasn't come close to full boil -- that will happen when conservative commentators start to defend the movie and the liberal Academy Awards machine starts to have doubts about it), I began to frame a few thoughts about where, exactly, the film stood, and one of the things that occurred to me was the possibility that Kathryn Bigelow and Mark Boal, the director and screenwriter, didn't understand their own movie. I figured I probably wouldn't float that theory, since it seemed presumptious and more than a little absurd. But now I don't have to engage in a lot of speculative critical guesswork, since Bigelow and Boal have officially gone on the record. The notion that Zero Dark Thirty is pro-torture, says Boal, is "preposterous." Adds Bigelow: "The point was to immerse the audience in this landscape, not to pretend to debate policy. Was it difficult to shoot? Yes. Do I wish [torture]
Latest Videos in Movies
- Wu-Tang: RZA on Raekwon's 'strike'
- William Hurt exits 'Midnight Rider'
- 'Jurassic World' First Look: 3 new photos
- 'Parks and Rec' finale: Watch the opening scene
- 'Reign': Watch Bash's first sex scene
- Phox's 'Slow Motion': Neo-soul breakouts' new video
- Moon Taxi whisks us to 'Morocco' in new video
- 'Orange Is the New Black' is on the new EW cover
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show' 618
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'There isn't a single episode of television I've written that I don't wish I could get back and do again' 488
- Slaves to Love 460
- The Man Who Could Not Stand Still 507
- Facebook campaign asks for crew boycott as 'Midnight Rider' production resumes 381
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'I feel like I'm just now starting to learn how to write it' -- LISTEN
- 'Friends' creators Marta Kauffman and David Crane look back at the finale -- and why they won't do a reunion show
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show'
- HBO makes huge Amazon Prime deal: See which shows are going online
- Courteney Cox shuts down talk of 'Friends' reunion on 'Letterman' -- VIDEO