• In the midst of the frenzy surrounding the release of Star Trek Into Darkness, Chris Pine has revealed where he’ll boldly go next. EW has confirmed that Pine will appear in comedic thriller Stretch, a project that reunites the actor with Joe Carnahan, who directed one of Pine’s earliest films, 2006′s Smokin’ Aces. Patrick Wilson (Watchmen) will star in the new film as a down-on-his-luck chauffeur who drives around a mysterious billionaire to get rid of his debt. Details on Pine’s role have not yet been revealed. [The Wrap] READ FULL STORY
Tag: This Is Where I Leave You (1-6 of 6)
Casting Net: Zoe Saldana in talks for 'Guardians of the Galaxy'; Plus, Brad Pitt, Nicholas Hoult, Leighton Meester, more
• It’s looking like Zoe Saldana will join another intergalactic franchise. The Avatar and Star Trek actress is in talks to play the female lead in Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy. She would join a cast that already features Chris Pratt (Zero Dark Thirty) and mixed martial artist Dave Bautista. Saldana is in negotiations to play Gamora, who, in the comic books, is the sole survivor of her humanoid race, the Zen Whoberi. She’s known as “the deadliest woman in the whole galaxy.” Also of note: Gamora has a stint in the comic books as a minion and adopted daughter of sorts of Thanos — that purple-skinned alien which the closing credits of The Avengers seemed to set up as our heroes’ next arch-rival. Perhaps this is further reason to hope for some more franchise cross-overs in Marvel’s future? [THR] READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Rose Byrne in talks to star opposite Jason Bateman and Seth Rogen; Plus: 'Divergent,' 'Guardians of the Galaxy,' more
• In Summer 2011, Rose Byrne delivered audiences the one-two punch of Bridesmaids and X-Men: First Class. It looks like she’s aiming to double up on success again. Thursday it was announced that the Australian actress is in talks for not one but two films. She is in talks to join Tina Fey and Jason Bateman in This Is Where I Leave You, based on the Johnathan Tropper book about squabbling siblings following their father’s death. Byrne would play an old crush of Bateman’s character in the film directed by Shawn Levy (Date Night, Big Fat Liar). The other project, Townies, is a raunchy Universal comedy whose cast already features Seth Rogen and Zac Efron. Bryne is up for the part of Rogen’s character’s wife. [THR] READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Sofia Vergara in talks for 'Heat'; Plus 'This Is Where I Leave You' nabs Corey Stoll, hopes for Jane Fonda, more
• Sofia Vergara is in talks to star alongside Jason Statham in a remake of the 1986 Burt Reynolds film Heat — not to be confused with Michael Mann’s 1995 film Heat, or 1972′s Sunset Boulevard parody Heat, or even this summer’s Melissa McCarthy comedy. Of course that’s called The Heat. Simon West (Con Air, The Expendables 2) will direct the project which tells the story of a bodyguard, and former gambler, who helps a friend after she is attacked by the mob. William Goldman, who wrote the novel, penned the original script and the update. [Variety]
• The Jason Bateman (and possibly Tina Fey) comedy This Is Where I Leave You continues to round out its cast. Corey Stoll, the charismatic actor who took on the role of Ernest Hemingway in Woody Allen’s Midnight in Paris, has signed on to the film to play Bateman’s brother. [Variety] Jane Fonda is also in talks to join the cast as the recently widowed Hillary Foxman. [Deadline]
Steel yourselves, comedy nerds: Liz Lemon might be playing Michael Bluth’s sister.
EW has confirmed that 30 Rock star Tina Fey is in early talks to star in This Is Where I Leave You opposite Jason Bateman. The film, based on Jonathan Tropper’s 2009 novel, follows a dysfunctional family that comes together to mourn the death of its gruff, withholding patriarch.
Bateman will play Judd, a middle child reeling over the recent implosion of his marriage; Fey would play his older sister Wendy, who is caught in an unhappy marriage of her own. Kathryn Hahn and Ari Graynor are rumored to be up for roles as well, though their involvement has not yet been confirmed. Shawn Levy, who previously directed Fey in Date Night, is attached to helm the film, which also features a script written by Tropper himself.
Fey’s next movie, Admission, hits theaters March 22. She will also appear in the Muppets sequel The Muppets… Again! that is currently filming in Europe.
Tina Fey seriously isn’t hosting the Oscars. Seriously — VIDEO
On the scene: An evening with the ’30 Rock’ writers
Casting Net: Emma Watson in talks to play Cinderella; Plus Gary Oldman, David Lynch, and more
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Captain America 2' back at No. 1, hits $200M total
- 'Godzilla' promo: See the monster roar
- 'Orphan Black' recap: Only the Clonely
- 'Orphan Black' showrunners on THAT return...
- 'Orphan Black' shocker: Tatiana Maslany says...
- Acts of God: 12 TV/movie Jesuses
- 20 big-time pop culture bunnies
- 20 'high-rated' stoner flicks
- New 'Godzilla' trailer: See the monster roar -- VIDEO
- Neil Patrick Harris yells at fan during 'Hedwig' performance
- 'Orphan Black': The creators discuss the shocking return of [SPOILER]
- Mara Wilson has 'no interest' in 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel
- Facebook campaign asks for crew boycott as 'Midnight Rider' production resumes