• It’s looking like Zoe Saldana will join another intergalactic franchise. The Avatar and Star Trek actress is in talks to play the female lead in Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy. She would join a cast that already features Chris Pratt (Zero Dark Thirty) and mixed martial artist Dave Bautista. Saldana is in negotiations to play Gamora, who, in the comic books, is the sole survivor of her humanoid race, the Zen Whoberi. She’s known as “the deadliest woman in the whole galaxy.” Also of note: Gamora has a stint in the comic books as a minion and adopted daughter of sorts of Thanos — that purple-skinned alien which the closing credits of The Avengers seemed to set up as our heroes’ next arch-rival. Perhaps this is further reason to hope for some more franchise cross-overs in Marvel’s future? [THR] READ FULL STORY
Tag: Timothy Olyphant (1-2 of 2)
Casting Net: Dennis Haysbert takes on Michael Clarke Duncan's role in 'Sin City 2.' Plus: Timothy Olyphant, Giancarlo Esposito, Ben Whishaw
• 24‘s Dennis Haysbert is in talks to play Manute in Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, the role originated in 2005′s Sin City by actor Michael Clarke Duncan, who passed away earlier this year at 54. Haysbert will join Mickey Rourke, Jessica Alba, Jaime King, and Rosario Dawsome, who are all reprising their roles in the first film; Jamie Chung is taking over Devon Aoki’s role. As with the first film, Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller are sharing writing and directing duties on the film, based on Miller’s series of Sin City graphic novels. [THR]
• Timothy Olyphant (FX’s Justified) will join Kurt Russell, Peter Sarsgaard, Richard Jenkins, and Jennifer Carpenter (Showtime’s Dexter) in Bone Tomahawk, a horror Western about four men who are tasked with saving the prisoners of a band of man-eating cave people. First time feature director S. Craig Zahler also penned the script. [Deadline]
• Giancarlo Esposito (NBC’s Revolution, AMC’s Breaking Bad) has signed onto Poker Night, about a cop who must somehow piece together the stories he’s heard at his regular poker game in order to survive a serial killer with an apparent affection for elaborate mind games. Fellow bad ass character actors Ron Perlman, Titus Welliver, and Ron Eldard costar, along with young up-and-comer Beau Mirchoff (MTV’s Awkward., I Am Number Four). Greg Francis, who made his bones directing true crime documentaries for the Investigation Discovery Channel, will make his feature film directorial debut from his own script. [Deadline]
• Ben Whishaw (Skyfall, Cloud Atlas) has joined the cast of Lilting, playing the British boyfriend of a Chinese man (Andrew Leung, Comes a Bright Day) whose sudden death leaves behind a mother (Cheng Pei Pei, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon) who does not speak English and feels helpless in the U.K. Writer-director Hong Khaou is making his feature debut with the film. [THR]
• Ryan Kwanten (HBO’s True Blood) and Sullivan Stapleton (Animal Kingdom) have joined Cut Snake, an Australian thriller about two ex-cons who torch a nightclub while people are still inside it, killing 15 people. (It’s inspired by a true story, awfully enough.) Tony Ayres (The Home Song Stories) will direct from a script by Aussie TV scribe Blake Ayshford. [Deadline]
Casting Net: Matt Damon keen on joining George Clooney’s ‘Monuments Men.’ Plus: Seth MacFarlane, Jason Clarke, Marcia Gay Harden
Casting Net: George Clooney teaming with Paul Greengrass. Plus: Daniel Bruhl, Guy Pearce, Rosamund Pike
Casting Net: Lenny Kravitz to play Marvin Gaye. Plus: Amy Smart, Terry Crews, Kellan Lutz
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Walking Dead' recap: 'Crossed'
- American Music Awards winners are...
- American Music Awards 2014 style: What the stars wore
- 'Jurassic World' teases Thanksgiving trailer: 3 nods to 'Jurassic Park'
- 'Good Wife'; 'The Newsroom'; 'The Comeback'; 'Bob's Burgers'; more TV recaps
- 'Homeland'; 'The Affair'; 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine'; more TV recaps
- 'SNL' recap: Cameron Diaz is a 'Back Home Baller'
- 'Walking Dead': Seth Gilliam on where Father Gabriel is going
- See the exclusive music video for 'The Hobbit's 'Last Goodbye,' with Billy Boyd and goosebumps aplenty
- Times Change: 'Jurassic World' teases with three homages to Steven Spielberg's original
- 'Saturday Night Live' recap: 'Cameron Diaz and Mark Ronson/Bruno Mars'
- Bodies of Work: 49 Unforgettable Nude Scenes
- 'Hunger Games': Take the EW Trivia Quiz (Part 1)!