Of all the things that have addled and irritated the watchers of Lena Dunham’s HBO series Girls (the characters are too white and overprivileged! Lena Dunham spends too much time naked!), of all the things that have made a noisy sliver of them feel that the show is worthy of their “hate,” the late-in-the-game revelation that Dunham’s middle-class lost-girl princess Hannah suffers from OCD seemed all but designed to stoke the hostility of those who dislike Girls but can’t stop watching it. To someone like me, though, who adores the show (I’ll put my passion right out there: In two seasons, I think there has hardly been a false moment on it), when Hannah began to deal with her anxieties by counting, compulsively, to eight, any and every way that she could, even to the point of mutilating her eardrums, I found the twist gripping and scarily authentic — and one of the reasons that I absolutely went with it is that, after the first OCD episode, I began to imagine what a character trait like that one might have looked like in, say, a mediocre Sundance movie devoted to a discombobulated heroine with OCD. And I could just, you know, see those cutely kooky scenes of personal derangement (look, she’s arranging her Tater Tots into a perfect triangle!), the deadpan-disturbed lead performance by Elle Fanning, even the ad campaign (“Love is a compulsion”). And I just thought: What that movie wouldn’t have is what Dunham brought to every twitch and tremor of Hannah’s obsession — an anti-kooky concentration and troubled fever, a sense of how the OCD is literally, physically torturing Hannah, but how it’s also her way of hanging on to an identity, of giving herself one, as her assorted other roles in life (girlfriend of Adam, transgressive e-novelist) fall away, with nothing to replace them. To a desperately exacting degree, she became The Girl Who Counts To Eight. And, more important, she took us with her. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Tiny Furniture (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Sons of Anarchy' recap: 'Toil and Till'
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Tommy Flanagan, Theo Rossi talk 'Toil and Till'
- Fall TV 2014: EW critics pick 6 new series to watch
- 'Mindy Project'; 'New Girl'; 'Big Brother'; 'Dancing With the Stars': Tuesday TV recaps
- C-3PO's 'Star Wars' past, present, and future: A deep-dive Q&A with Anthony Daniels
- Fantastic Fest 2014: 22 wonderfully weird films in Austin
- 'Breaking Bad': 'Ozymandias' writer and director look back at milestone episode
- 'Revenge' season 4 trailer: 'Emily Thorne, I'm coming for you'
- Famed James Bond villain Richard Kiel dies at 74 539
- Discovery to strand Democrat and Republican senators on deserted island 481
- The glimmering crocodile tears of Princess Victoria, First of Her Name 475
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks 375
- No Blood On His Hands 335
- 'Breaking Bad,' 1 year later: Emmy-winning team tells 'Ozymandias' secrets
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- Tom Hiddleston to star in King-Kong spin-off, 'Skull Island'
- 'Revenge' first look: Watch the trailer for season 4
- 'Dancing With the Stars' recap: No second chance for a second dance