• Morgan Freeman is finding his way back to the world of Christopher Nolan. No, the Dark Knight director hasn’t signed Freeman onto his highly anticipated next original project. (Though Anne Hathaway might make the leap to sci-fi for that film, Interstellar.) Freeman is in final negotiations to star in the directorial debut of Wally Pfister, Nolan’s longtime cinematographer. Nolan is producing the film, called Transcendence. Plot details are being kept under wraps for the sci-fi film, but it’s been described as in the vein of 2001: A Space Odyssey and Inception. Already signed on are Johnny Depp, Kate Mara (127 Hours), Paul Bettany (A Beautiful Mind), and Rebecca Hall (The Town). Alcon Entertainment announced Freeman’s casting news via press release on Thursday. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Wally Pfister (1-3 of 3)
Casting Net: Johnny Depp commits to 'Black Mass' and Pfister's 'Transcendence'; Plus, Tom Hardy in PTSD film, and Bradley Cooper
• Johnny Depp fans, get excited. The actor has committed to his next two projects: Wally Pfister’s sci-fi thriller Transcendence, and Barry Levinson’s Whitey Bulger biopic Black Mass, both of which he’d been circling for a while. Transcendence will be the directorial debut for Pfister, an Oscar-winning cinematographer (for Inception in 2011), who has been Christopher Nolan’s go-to since Memento. The details of the project remain sparse, but the logline teases that the film is about a scientist who has his brain uploaded into a computer. Depp will go straight from Transcendence to Black Mass, based on the true crime book Black Mass: The Irish Mob, The FBI and A Devil’s Deal by Dick Lehr and Gerard O’Neill. Depp will portray the real-life former Boston mob boss and FBI informant, Whitey Bulger, who is still very much alive. [Variety]
• Tom Hardy is set to develop and star in the post traumatic stress disorder drama Samarkand, about a British soldier attempting to readjust to society after serving in the Middle East. Photographer Greg Williams wrote the script with his brother Olly, and will make his feature debut directing the project. Williams directed Hardy in the short film Sergeant Slaughter, My Big Brother (available here) about a man (Hardy) who decides to run away to join the French Foreign League. [Deadline]
• Best Actor nominee Bradley Cooper has committed to producing and starring in an English-language remake of the 2011 German film Kokowääh. He’s also reportedly considering whether or not to direct the project. The original film was directed by and starred Til Schweiger (Hugo Stiglitz in Inglorious Basterds) as a writer who discovers that he has an 8-year-old daughter. The film follows his work, his burgeoning relationship with his daughter (and her foster father), and his attempts to reconcile with his ex-girlfriend and writing partner. The script is currently undergoing a re-write. [Deadline]
Casting Net: Marion Cotillard tackles corporate bonuses; Plus Juliette Binoche, and more
Casting Net: Megan Fox for TMNT
Casting Net: Christian Bale in talks for ‘Everest’; Plus Jennifer Lawrence and Jason Clarke
UPDATE: Joss Whedon responds to 'The Dark Knight Rises' cinematographer's slam of 'The Avengers': 'I'm a fan.'
Wally Pfister, director Christopher Nolan’s longtime cinematographer, is not a fan The Avengers.
While participating in a Q&A last week at Ringling College of Art and Design, the Dark Knight Rises cinematographer staked his claim in the ongoing rivalry between DC Comics and Marvel, blasting the record-breaking film. ”I thought The Avengers was an appalling film,” he said, according to the Huffington Post (via the Sarasota Herald-Tribune). “They’d shoot from some odd angle and I’d think, why is the camera there? Oh, I see, because they spent half a million on the set and they have to show it off. It took me completely out of the movie. I was driven bonkers by that illogical form of storytelling.”
UPDATE: When reached by EW, The Avengers writer-director Joss Whedon responded: “I’m sorry to hear it, I’m a fan.”
- 'Voice': What will Top 5 sing tonight?
- 'Duck Dynasty' Xmas preview: 'Let's go get a hog!'
- 'Precious' memories in '09: Sundance flashback
- Sundance 2014 Premieres: What's playing
- 'Community' season 5: First trailer is here!
- Josh Holloway: Shirtless 'Intelligence' poster
- Carrie Underwood tweet on 'Sound of Music' critics?
- Lea Michele's 'Cannonball': Hear it here
- 'Community': Check out the first trailer for season 5 -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
- Bob Barker returning to 'Price Is Right,' first promo
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race': Check out the sickening season 6 supertease and meet the queens -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
- 'The Amazing Race' recap: The Final Frontier
- New 'Fifty Shades' pic shows Ana kissing Christian -- PHOTO