Sony Pictures announced that they officially inked the deal with Chloe Grace Moretz to play Cassie in the film adaptation of Rick Yancey’s The 5th Wave. Relative newcomer J Blakeson will direct, but veteran Susannah Grant will write the adapted screenplay (Erin Brockovich; The Soloist). After the world has been destroyed by four waves of brutal alien invasions, a young girl named Cassie is desperately trying to save her little brother before the inevitable “5th wave” of attacks. On her journey she meets a boy who may be her only hope of survival. READ FULL STORY
Tag: YA (1-5 of 5)
All hail Divergent! A collective sigh of relief emanated from the halls of Hollywood this past weekend when the latest attempt to score with young female moviegoers worked with the successful $55 million debut of the post-apocalyptic film Divergent. And it’s not just the studio executives at Summit Entertainment who are breathing a sigh of relief as they ready the next two movies in the trilogy based on Veronica Roth’s young adult novels. The exhale also comes from those in Hollywood who had been working on a host of teen-centric adaptations last year amid the troubling trend that saw any project not called The Hunger Games flop, including Beautiful Creatures, The Mortal Instruments, and Stephenie Meyer’s The Host. READ FULL STORY
'Beautiful Creatures' stars Alice Englert and Alden Ehrenreich on 'Twilight' comparisons and on-screen chemistry -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
Whether or not you have a date this Valentine’s Day, you can live vicariously through the mysterious Lena (Alice Englert) and charming popular kid Ethan (Alden Ehrenreich) of Beautiful Creatures, the latest supernatural teen romance based on a young-adult novel. The two leads visited the EW studio to talk about why their new movie, which is opening today, is not following in Twilight‘s footsteps. Keep watching until the end for some outtakes from their interview, which perfectly captures Englert and Ehrenreich’s easy, goofy chemistry from the film. READ FULL STORY
The latest self-published YA novel heading full steam towards its big-screen moment. When it was announced on Wednesday that Good Universe had acquired the film rights to the deliciously dark Angelfall, (with Sam Raimi set to produce!), we immediately reached out to author Susan Ee for comment. She was thrilled to share her thoughts on the film and even shared an exclusive photograph (below) featuring her with the film’s producers.
Originally self-published in 2011, Angelfall was picked up by Amazon Children’s Publishing for a re-release in August of this year. The novel takes place six weeks after angels of the apocalypse have destroyed the world as we know it. When enemy angels fly away with 17-year-old Penryn’s little sister, Penryn is forced to team up with Raffe, an injured angel who wants his wings back. Together, they will journey to the heart of San Francisco and the angels’ stronghold, where an unimaginable horror awaits them.
Ee revealed that she couldn’t have picked a better team to adapt Angelfall, gushing in particular about the Spider-Man director. “I’m tremendously excited to be working with a creative powerhouse like Sam Raimi,” she told EW in an email. “Having Angelfall be received so enthusiastically by the readers and then having a world-class director/producer like Sam Raimi want to make a movie of it is simply the definition of joy for me.”
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Gotham': Robin Lord Taylor talks Oswald Cobblepot
- 'Lost' alum to visit 'Hawaii Five-0'
- 'Walking Dead': Carol, Judith, Rick in 2 new pics
- 'Sons of Anarchy' ending: Kurt Sutter says...
- Toronto Film Festival lineup announced
- Kacy Catanzaro talks 'Ninja Warrior' whirlwind
- 'Wish I Was Here': Zach Braff tries to be a better man
- 'Toy Story That Time Forgot': A Mike Mignola poster
- 'Two and a Half Men' final season to tackle 'gay' adoption 624
- 'Lost cause' 376
- Captain America is black, Thor is a woman, and Iron Man has a new costume: Witness Avengers NOW! 504
- 'Doctor Who': Which episode should newbies check out first? 421
- 'Dating Naked' reveals disappointingly small ratings 285
- Robert Downey, Jr. tops Forbes' list of highest paid actors once again
- 'The Walking Dead': See Carol, Judith and Rick in exclusive new season 5 images
- 'Sons of Anarchy' creator says series ending not yet decided
- Kacy Catanzaro would happily hit the 'American Ninja Warrior' obstacle course with Stephen Amell
- Mark Ruffalo on the foe Hulk needs for a stand-alone movie