Sony Pictures announced that they officially inked the deal with Chloe Grace Moretz to play Cassie in the film adaptation of Rick Yancey’s The 5th Wave. Relative newcomer J Blakeson will direct, but veteran Susannah Grant will write the adapted screenplay (Erin Brockovich; The Soloist). After the world has been destroyed by four waves of brutal alien invasions, a young girl named Cassie is desperately trying to save her little brother before the inevitable “5th wave” of attacks. On her journey she meets a boy who may be her only hope of survival. READ FULL STORY
Tag: YA (1-5 of 5)
All hail Divergent! A collective sigh of relief emanated from the halls of Hollywood this past weekend when the latest attempt to score with young female moviegoers worked with the successful $55 million debut of the post-apocalyptic film Divergent. And it’s not just the studio executives at Summit Entertainment who are breathing a sigh of relief as they ready the next two movies in the trilogy based on Veronica Roth’s young adult novels. The exhale also comes from those in Hollywood who had been working on a host of teen-centric adaptations last year amid the troubling trend that saw any project not called The Hunger Games flop, including Beautiful Creatures, The Mortal Instruments, and Stephenie Meyer’s The Host. READ FULL STORY
'Beautiful Creatures' stars Alice Englert and Alden Ehrenreich on 'Twilight' comparisons and on-screen chemistry -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
Whether or not you have a date this Valentine’s Day, you can live vicariously through the mysterious Lena (Alice Englert) and charming popular kid Ethan (Alden Ehrenreich) of Beautiful Creatures, the latest supernatural teen romance based on a young-adult novel. The two leads visited the EW studio to talk about why their new movie, which is opening today, is not following in Twilight‘s footsteps. Keep watching until the end for some outtakes from their interview, which perfectly captures Englert and Ehrenreich’s easy, goofy chemistry from the film. READ FULL STORY
The latest self-published YA novel heading full steam towards its big-screen moment. When it was announced on Wednesday that Good Universe had acquired the film rights to the deliciously dark Angelfall, (with Sam Raimi set to produce!), we immediately reached out to author Susan Ee for comment. She was thrilled to share her thoughts on the film and even shared an exclusive photograph (below) featuring her with the film’s producers.
Originally self-published in 2011, Angelfall was picked up by Amazon Children’s Publishing for a re-release in August of this year. The novel takes place six weeks after angels of the apocalypse have destroyed the world as we know it. When enemy angels fly away with 17-year-old Penryn’s little sister, Penryn is forced to team up with Raffe, an injured angel who wants his wings back. Together, they will journey to the heart of San Francisco and the angels’ stronghold, where an unimaginable horror awaits them.
Ee revealed that she couldn’t have picked a better team to adapt Angelfall, gushing in particular about the Spider-Man director. “I’m tremendously excited to be working with a creative powerhouse like Sam Raimi,” she told EW in an email. “Having Angelfall be received so enthusiastically by the readers and then having a world-class director/producer like Sam Raimi want to make a movie of it is simply the definition of joy for me.”
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Sleepy Hollow' sneak peek: Ichabod Crane meets a naked Ben Franklin
- 'Once Upon a Time' boss on 'Frozen' references: 'We want it to feel organic'
- 'Vampire Diaries,' 'Once Upon a Time,' 'Castle,' more fresh TV spoilers
- Jennifer Love Hewitt joins the BAU in new 'Criminal Minds' art
- J.Lo and Iggy Azalea extend the Summer of Butts with 'Booty' remix video
- 'The Knick' recap: 'Start Calling Me Dad'
- 'Super Smash Bros.': The best/worst thing ever to happen to Nintendo
- 'Grey's Anatomy': Shonda Rhimes puts Callie-Arizona odds at 50/50
- 'Into the Woods' character names not getting Disney makeover (Updated)
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- 'Once Upon a Time': Will Elsa 'Let It Go'? Or build a snowman?
- J-Lo and Iggy continue the Summer of Butts with 'Booty' remix video
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Vampire Diaries,' 'Once Upon a Time,' 'Castle' and more