One good thing about this year’s crazy awards season? At least it’s not predictable. After being almost completely ignored by the Golden Globes last week, Into the Wild received the most Screen Actors Guild Award nominations this morning, picking up citations for best cast, actor (Emile Hirsch), supporting actor (Hal Holbrook), and supporting actress (Catherine Keener). No Country for Old Men and Michael Clayton followed with three nominations each, while American Gangster managed two. But the lists were even more notable for who wasn’t on them: Sweeney Todd‘s Johnny Depp and Gangster‘s Denzel Washington (pictured) were overlooked, as was Charlie Wilson’s War scene-stealer Philip Seymour Hoffman. For Depp and Hoffman, it may be because SAG voters weren’t sent DVDs of their films, but it may not bode well for Washington’s Oscar chances. Meanwhile, two strong Best Picture contenders, Atonement and Juno, were left out of the Best Cast category (Juno‘s Ellen Page did score a best-actress nod, while Atonement was omitted entirely). But before you now consider best-cast nominees Hairspray and 3:10 to Yuma (both great films) serious Oscar contenders, remember one thing: Last year, the SAG Awards nominated Bobby.
SAG Award nominations: Snubs and surprises
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Dancing With the Stars' recap: And the mirrorball goes to...
- 'The Flash'; 'Supernatural'; 'The Voice'; 'Mindy Project'; more TV recaps
- Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson breaks silence in ABC News interview
- Hugh Jackman welcomes(?) us to Neverland in 'Pan' trailer
- 'Jurassic World': Watch first full trailer
- Black Friday preview: Where to find deals on Blu-ray, books, videogames
- Jim Parsons gets a read on 1922 play 'Merton of the Movies': 'a very visceral link to the past'
- Jennifer Aniston vs. Lisa Kudrow: A little cussing among 'Friends'
- And the 'Dancing With the Stars' season 19 winner is...
- Jennifer Aniston and Lisa Kudrow try to out-curse each other on 'Kimmel'
- 'Dancing With the Stars' season finale recap: A nail-biter till the very end
- 'The Voice' recap: Meet the Top 8
- Watch Hugh Jackman pull a Johnny Depp in the trailer for 'Pan'