When reports surfaced this week that writer-director Shane Black (Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang) had signed on to direct Universal’s Cold Warrior, it threw Lethal Weapon fans into a tizzy because they feared another installment of the beloved franchise would never come to pass. Truth is, the delay has nothing to do with Black, who wrote the first Lethal script and has penned a long treatment for a fifth iteration. (In fact, he plans to take over the director’s reins from Richard Donner.) Lethal number 5 still hinges on Mel Gibson, who’s currenlty filming Edge of Darkness in Boston. Longtime Lethal producer Joel Silver has been trying to nail down approval from Gibson about Black’s approach, which includes introducing a pair of young NYPD cops. Hey, if Bruce Willis can pull off a Die Hard 4, another Lethal Weapon should be a snap.
'Lethal Weapon 5' still in the works
Latest Videos in Movies
- Caleb talks 'Big Brother': I'd have taken Derrick to final and 'I would have won'
- 'Key and Peele' see alien invaders' true colors in season 4 sneak peek
- Oscar buzz: Sizing up the contenders after Toronto
- 'Gotham' up, 'Selfie' down? Insiders predict fall TV rookie prospects
- Ernie Hudson tells us 'Ghostbusters' stories at key NYC locations
- 'Grey's' is the new 'Orange': Ellen Pompeo and Co. share fun photo
- Danai Gurira talks 'Walking Dead': 'The Michonne wig transforms me'
- Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani rise to Jimmy Fallon's lip sync challenge